• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam SEED.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holyknightsky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Thinking of watching the show all over again and was wondering if it worth watching it this time in Japanese. with english subtitles, or is there absolutely no difference between that and the english version.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Ask yourself this: did you find any faults in the dub in the first place? And if so, do you think you'd find it any better/more annoying in Japanese?

Some people can pick up the slight nuances between the two spoken languages. If you happen to be one of them, you'll definitely notice the difference. If anything, just think of the rewatch in Japanese as a change of pace.

Personally, I didn't care too much for SEED's dub, at least not on the same level as Wing or even First Gundam. The Japanese cast has a pretty good lineup, though.
holyknightsky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the advice. I'll probably be doing just that to change it up for once.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Call me crazy, but I think I had a thing for Lacus' voice in the dub. It was nasally and cute for some reason. I'd say the dub was easily tolerable, if not acceptable. But it's nowhere near the "I don't think I even need the Japanese language track" status that Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, or Outlaw Star have.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote
holyknightsky wrote:
Thinking of watching the show all over again and was wondering if it worth watching it this time in Japanese. with english subtitles, or is there absolutely no difference between that and the english version.

Of course there's a difference - it's a completely different cast speaking a different language! You might also pick up a small difference in the tonal quality (US distributors often tweak sound mixes "for the American market", whatever the heck THAT means, and their dubs are recorded with different technology and procedures than the Japanese - for me that means Japanese audio tends to be warmer and fuller than American).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1