• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
who do u get an anime submitted to a publisher?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maverick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:04 pm Reply with quote
i was wondering if anyone knew how to get an anime submitted to a publisher because im kinda like a writer and i have a few good ideas for some anime shows and i think they can really survive 4 a while n e one that helps might get a decent slice of the pie *winks*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:15 pm Reply with quote
First, you'd probably have to move to Japan. After that, you could either make a manga or get lucky and find some company that would take a look at your idea. I don't know much about this, but there was a user here a few months ago that had their idea for a story accepted by some company. Maybe if that person is still around, he/she could tell you more.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:16 pm Reply with quote
See this thread, though, if you are desperate to see your ideas made into a little cartoon, you could always send an e-mail to this guy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maverick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:16 pm Reply with quote
ok i will thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Maverick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:20 pm Reply with quote
ill have to talk to some people because i kno some people who live in Japan*starts making long-distance calls*
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:04 am Reply with quote
Maverick wrote:
i was wondering if anyone knew how to get an anime submitted to a publisher because im kinda like a writer and i have a few good ideas for some anime shows and i think they can really survive 4 a while n e one that helps might get a decent slice of the pie *winks*

http://www.janscottfrazier.com/animinjp/yourstuff.htm

That link shows some brutal honesty. Some prerequisites for that article, are to learn Japanese fluently. That means, you should be able to read, write, hear, and speak Japanese as if it's your first language. Second, you need to move to Japan.
Maverick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:37 am Reply with quote
damn i cant do all that but i have contacts in japan so mayb that can help
Baka...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:01 am Reply with quote
Any suggestions where to learn Japanese if your 14.?
Maverick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:04 am Reply with quote
no because im 14 and i go to a school that im not supposed to but at the school i am supposed to go to they have Japanese 1-4 but...i chose computers over japanese
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:27 am Reply with quote
Not to be extremely cruel or anything, but before you decide to become a writer, I highly suggest learning to write. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that you're enthusiastic about writing, but you'll definatly want to polish your skills before you start trying to make contacts and send off a bad first impression.

Also, while on the topic, I suggest reading Rule 2.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:18 am Reply with quote
That, and proper, professional spelling and grammer, when submitting ANYTHING that requires a heavy investment, is absolutely nessecary to prove you are

1. worth listening to

2. not incompotent

Fact is, you won't get an "anime" for now because you are a Fourteen year old American, who doesn't know Japanese, and has no presence in the current Japanese Anime industry or even the American literacy, media, or animation industry. Added to the fact there are hundreds of thousands of already conceived Japanese ideas, manga, etc, already up and ready from Japanese citizens (remember, while it's not always the case, the Japanese are somewhat Xenophobic when it comes to business. ).

You also don't have an agent or anything like that, plus no backing behind your name.

But yeah, best of luck :S
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:00 am Reply with quote
Anyway, these days, teenagers have all sorts of relatively easy-to-use animation tools like Flash available. Back when people my age (30) were teenagers, at best we could only do crappy clay animation things using video-cameras with a frame-by-frame option, and most of us didn't even have that.

Start with Flash now, and, maybe in a couple of years, after you've had a lot of practice, you'll be producing animation online for sites like Newgrounds that's actually worth watching.

Even if you can't draw that well, the experiences of Mike Judge, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, and the Brothers Chaps prove that, if your ideas are funny enough, actual artistic ability is completely secondary (though it helps).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:44 am Reply with quote
Tenchi is right, if you want to work with animations, start with Flash. You'll pick up on it, get good, and gain some respect. Also, you can make a home grown anime, something along the lines of what Terrence Walker did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:04 am Reply with quote
Baka... wrote:
Any suggestions where to learn Japanese if your 14.?

If you live in a large city, go to the local Japanese consulate or community center. They'll point you in the right direction to find a local school that teaches Japanese as non-credit courses.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:07 am Reply with quote
A while back we wrote a bit of a description of why a guy in your situation probably can't get his anime idea produced, and what you can do to change your situation to one where you can get your idea produced.

Depending on the route you take, learning Japanese is not always a requirement, but in all cases, a lot of hard work is a requirement.

You can read the article here.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2