• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do most anme deserve to be made into video games?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animage~

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:49 pm Reply with quote
So far we've had Pokemon, Yugioh, Duel Masters, its only a matter of time before Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo,as wel as 3rd party developers figure out anime+bad programming=$. I can't bear to see kenshin and Chobits somehow turned into video games. So I want to ask, do you think most anime deserve to be turned into video games?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I think most animes are made into video games, we just never see them over here. Crying or Very sad
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Berserk is pretty cool, the PS2 one, not the Dreamcast game. I haven't read the manga, but everything from the graphics, to music, to voice acting in that game is top notch. I also like the fact that it's a genre I'm a bit familiar with -- hack 'n' slash. Anime catgrin (Dynasty Warriors anyone?)

And though it's not quite a single anime title, Super Robot Wars is kind of intersting, in that it has characters and mecha from all sorts of anime. It's a shame I don't know Japanese... Anime cry.

The GitS: SAC game is OK from what I've played, but the conrols are weird. Other than that aspect though, I think it's a lot like the series (from what I've seen thus far).

Hmm, as for an anime I'd like to see a game of... I can't really think of one. I wouldn't mind a Gundam game, but I haven't played any of the ones released in the U.S., except for Gundam Battle Assault 2, which is.. OK, I guess.

But to tell you the truth, there are actually more games I'd rather see in anime form. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Rozzer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I think the only anime that should be turned into a video game, is if the anime itself has qualities that would be fun to play.
What I mean is, anime like Dragonball Z getting turned into DBZ Budokai, now that's a fun game because in Budokai 2, it's like you're watching the anime and playing the fight scenes at the same time. Another title would have to be Ghost in the Shell, even though I've only scene short previews, I think the game will be fun to play.

I also just found out that Naruto has 3 games out, and since the premise of the series is fighting, it should be as entertaining, if not more than the Budokai series.

Oh yeah, didn't Gungrave come out with a video game, or was I dreaming?
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone ever translate the Slayers Super Famicom game?
XCTU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:10 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
I think most animes are made into video games, we just never see them over here. Crying or Very sad
so true, not all are made into video games and vice versa, but the ones that are are almost all Japanese except the really mainstream ones like pokemon and stuff.

For example, there's a Negima! game coming out in Japan soon, and itll NEVER hit stateside but i really wanna play it...

And Kimiga Nozomu Eien started out as a dating sim video game, which turned into the anime (which is only one of the possible outcomes of what happens in the game)

US needs more dating sim games. Wink
Rah-Rah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:29 pm Reply with quote
[/quote]US needs more dating sim games. Wink[/quote] Yes. they do Very Happy , but I want the Sakura Taisen video games here NOW (as you can tell, I am a big fan of the series). Anyway, I want a Peacemaker game, I think it whould make a good action game, also, I want a Gantz game. As for games I want here, I want the other FMA games and Berserk games.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Animage~ wrote:
I can't bear to see kenshin

There is a Kenshin game. It's on...I think the Playstation, and goes as far as the Oniwabanshuu Arc.

Rozzer wrote:
Oh yeah, didn't Gungrave come out with a video game, or was I dreaming?

The Gungrave game is what the anime was adapted from (the game came first, in other words). It's partially the fault of the game that Gungrave's second half is mindless, plotless gunfighting garbage that sacrifices just about any & all character development established in the prior episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:42 pm Reply with quote
How can you blame that on a game though? If the game was that crappy, any director/writer could've just changed it.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Some, I believe, do have storylines that have made great games.

I have a few of these that I feel are very good representative games of anime-based games:

DBZ Budokai & Budokai 2 (PS2) -- The first one is very good, with a story mode that I wish was featured in more anime-based games. The "Dragon World" of B2 wasn't as good as the great B1 story mode, but the cel-shaded graphics were just wonderful.

InuYasha: A Fedual Fairy-Tale (PS1) -- From the same team that worked on DBZ Budokai (Dimps and BANDAI Games), this game was very faithful to the anime. Having most of the original Japanese cast doing voice-overs for all the characters was a nice plus, and the story mode was very well done.

InuYasha: Secret of the Cursed Mask (PS2) -- I wrote my own short review in this thread, but now I have finally gotten through the game and finished one of the 16 endings. Yes, there are 16 endings to this game -- 8 endings for two different genders of main characters.

Everything about this game is InuYasha -- from complete voice-overs of all the main characters and a lot more, to a storyline that could have easily fit in the anime. Along with all of this is over 30 minutes of exclusive anime footage -- long anime clips for the start and endings, and mini-clips uncovered during combat.

The best new feature of this (which I touched on in the review) is the "friendship" system. This little touch makes this game more like a Japanese "dating-sim" game, in that you get a chance to become friends with one of the main characters of InuYasha. Not only do you get some great "inside information" on the main characters, but who you create a very solid friendship with affects what ending you will receive.

However, if you are not a die-hard InuYasha fan, you might not like it. I recommend a rental first for those unsure.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone remember the Tenchi Muyo Famicom game? It was fun for a while, but I eventually got bored with it and never finished.
Illumina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:15 pm Reply with quote
i think one anime that would make an awsome game is Fushigi Yuugi, it could be an turnbased RPG that based on the anime, with bosses such as the seryuu 7 etc. There should also be a party system, prolly around 3 or 4 characters, with items, spell, etc.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I also thought of one that went the other way:

The Ancient Land of Ys computer game series from Nihon Falcolm became the basis for the Ys anime series.

btw, does anyone know if Ys IV the game was the basis for Ys IV the anime, or the anime was the basis for the game?
Animage~

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Actually I see alot of Flash gamesmade from anime, usually dating sims.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:23 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
How can you blame that on a game though? If the game was that crappy, any director/writer could've just changed it.

Having a lack of story in the game will often make the film or television adaptation suffer as a result. Just look at Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Mario for some good examples.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3