• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inuyasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:09 pm Reply with quote
For anyone who hasn't picked up the game yet, here's an overview.

You start out watching a brand-new anime sequence where as a boy (or girl), you are a part of a family that lives in a shrine in modern day Japan. Your father sends you into the warehouse to get more dolls for the annual doll festival. However, the boy/girl steps on a weak part of the floor, falling through a blue-light portal right into Fedual Japan.

Needless to say, you meet up with Inuyasha and crew, only to find out that you can't go back home through the Bone-Eater's Well like Kagome can. So begins your quest to find out why you are in that era and how to return home.

While that's the cut-and-dried summary, the actual movies and encounters are 100% Inuyasha. All the relationships, all the action, and all the humor is found here.

The new characters that you can play were created by Inuyasha creator Rumiko Takahashi especially for this story, and each one has great character. All the dubbing cast from the movies / TV series is here, and you get a great performance out of it. There are a few inconsistencies between the dub track and the wording (Richard Cox [Inuyasha] says "City" instead of "Town" at one point, for example), but nothing that ruins the experience.

The game itself is a Final Fantasy-type Console RPG. You walk around, you talk to people, and you get information on where to go next. While the generic people do not have voices, all of the main characters are fully-voiced over. It's a typical RPG experience, really -- you go to the next area, look around for items, fight demons, and move on. In the early part of the game, you might not be impressed with it.

The battle system is also Final Fantasy-ish, but is very Tech-heavy. In fact, you'll use Techs every battle if you can. Inuyasha has the most famous and useful Techs, like Iron Reaver Soul Stealer, which is more powerful than Tetsuiga, go figure. In fact, the balance at the beginning is certainly in your party's favor, but this should eventually change as the story advances.

In between, you can also get into "Interval Events" that will open up new combination Techs with characters you become friends with. Each of them has different "Interval Events", and they are all quite revealing about the characters themselves (for example, spoiler[Kagome's first "Interval Event" has her ordering your character around a lot, leading him/her to think that while Kagome is good-hearted, she's also very bossy.]

If you check out the "Bonus" part of the main menu, you will see that there is a lot of anime movies and events to unlock in this game, and that you might not unlock everything on the first time through. Also, there are different movies and sequences for the boy and the girl character, which means you will probably replay it a few more times with both characters to find what you missed.

For Inuyasha fans, I recommend you go out and get it now. For the casual anime fan or anyone who likes RPGs and doesn't mind the "same-old-stuff" feeling, this is a good pick. If you didn't like Inuyasha, this won't change your mind.
quaze6

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:36 pm Reply with quote
sounds sweet. i cant wait to get it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:43 pm Reply with quote
What's interesting about this game was that Cowboy Bebop and this one were going to be released side-by-side.

For some reason, though, the Bebop game was bumped up to Fall 2005 and this one came out on time.

Maybe Bandai has something else Bebop next year to go along with the game... perhaps, hopefully, another movie? Very Happy
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Basically because they didn't want to have both come out simultaneously and kill each other. Also, early CowBoy Bebop screens looked . . . BAD Mad. InuYasha: TSotCM is popular now, so they wanted it out now, I would think.

Last edited by The Frankman on Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:25 pm Reply with quote
That's too bad. Sad

Well, if they take the extra time they have to make it better, then hopefully it will be a great next year release, then. Very Happy
Yoko_Kasumoto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:21 pm Reply with quote
*Looks all excited and eager to get the game* Game sounds great! Im gonna go buy it right now!!! *runs off to the store to buy it but its all sold out*AHHH! NOOO! *runs to the counter and frantically askes for the game* Im sorry, Miss. But That game sold out 0.1 seconds than Halo 2 did. You'll have to wait at least another 3 moths before we get it back in stock. *the employee reaches down into the cabnet and pulles out a different game* But how about this game instead?*Hands yoko the game* Happy Bunny Mimisu saves the day again?*looks at the employee sternly* Now Why the hell would I buy this?! I WANT INUYASHA!!! *employee looks a little hurt* Whats Inutrasha? *yoko jumps over the counter and grabbs the employee by the collar* NOW LISTEN HERE! ITS INUYASHA!! I-N-U-Y-A-S-H-A!! INU-YASH-A!!!!!*yoko throws the game on the counter and runs home to finish posting this*
MORAL: Never keep an otaku from their anime!
Sorry for boring you all with my stupid little RP. I just HAD to get it out of my system. Oh well.Sayonara!
PS- Yoko is red and the eployee was blue.
*yoko finishes posting this*
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:29 pm Reply with quote
/Miroku-mode Start

I'm sorry to hear about your plight, Yoko. Neutral
By the way ... will you do me the honor of bearing my children? Anime smile

<SLAP!> Embarassed

/Miroku-mode end

And, welcome to the ANN Forums. Very Happy
REIKO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:53 am Reply with quote
Lucky... I was never able to get that... My mum would beat me up if I did, she always say: Go and do your studying!! She even used to ban me from drawing. that time I was just to polite to fight back.
Sorry 'Embarassed'
Anyway, do you think theres any online game like that aside Ragnarok and Gunbound?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
The Frankman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:
Well, if they take the extra time they have to make it better, then hopefully it will be a great next year release, then. Very Happy

Also, Bandai is releasing A METRIC TON of stuff next year. The first six months of 2005 I predict will be "Anime-licious" for the fans . . . Rolling Eyes Okay, that was just corny as hell but I had nothing! I'm trying to contact Bandai to get a demo so I can review it for my website. The rental angle ain't working: 12 BlockBusters visited, all I got were funny looks.

Last edited by The Frankman on Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
arxane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I was lucky. I picked up a copy of the "Inuyasha" game on Tuesday...and it was the last one in stock! Of course, I can't play the thing until tomorrow because I bought the game up at college and my PS2 is at home Crying or Very sad

And about the "Cowboy Bebop" game...I seriously hope it has more to it than what I saw in the preview, because the game looks like a generic beat-em-up...with barrels!
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, there finally is a review of the game on GameSpot. Anime smile

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/inuyashamaskofjuso/review.html

5.3 OUT OF 10!? Anime smile + sweatdrop

Okay. I know the game isn't perfect, but a score that low is ... well, biased. Neutral

Quote:
Console-style role-playing games have the tricky task of balancing encounters, be they random or otherwise, so that you level up your party at a decent rate without being constantly thrown into combat. The Cursed Mask has no concept of this kind of balance. You're jolted into battle ridiculously often, sometimes every few steps, while attempting to cross game environments littered with deceptive paths and dead ends. There are sometimes purple clouds onscreen that denote areas of heavy demon energy, where you're particularly likely to get into a fight, but you can also trigger battles simply by running around a bit.

Umm, so the reviewer hasn't played any of the Final Fantasy before, where this always happens? Confused

Quote:
Your party will trade actions with enemies according to character speed, but there's none of the tidy, swift menu-selection elements that you'll find in other games--the characters' battle options are slow to cycle through, slow to select, and slow to set into motion.

I didn't think it was any slower than Final Fantasy X (in fact, that's the game I'm most reminded of when playing this).

Quote:
While turn-based battle systems don't let you directly control the action, they typically offset this by depicting impressive-looking sword strikes, magic attacks, and so on. Attacks in Inuyasha amount to a simple animation followed by a comic-book-like sound-effect graphic when you strike, like "thwack." It looks awful and destroys any sense of excitement you might have had about using your moves.

I think of this as a manga effect (since InuYasha was a manga before becoming an anime). Yeah, it's a bit lame, but you shouldn't let it hurt the rating. Confused

Quote:
While the animated portraits of the game's characters received the full treatment from series artist Rumiko Takahashi, and therefore abound in personality and detail, the in-game models for the characters are chubby, superdeformed, and doll-like. They have gigantic eyes, a fixed expression, extremely simple animations, and a low level of detail, and they end up making the game look antiquated and cheaply produced.

(emphasis mine)

Gigantic eyes? Simple animation? Has this person ever seen an anime before? They would know that these are chibi characters. Also, it's not like they are chibi all the time. I actually like the style being different.

Quote:
There just isn't enough quality content to hold anyone's interest for long, and that includes the most stalwart fans of the anime and manga on which this game is based. If you enjoy Inuyasha, stick to the comic books, DVDs, and Cartoon Network reruns, and avoid this game.

Ms. Reviewer, if you are reading this, I definitely disagree with your very bad interpretation and, since the User Rating on the GameSpot site has stayed between 8.0-8.5, many other people disagree with it also. Smile

Last edited by Glory Questor on Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Frankman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I have to do a review of this, and from what I've seen so far InuYasha can't get more than a 7. Look, I know it's chibi characters but this isn't the PS, we're on a next-gen console here and the characters could've been done better. The monsters look VERY generic and so does the way the battle system was implemented (Innovation, people? See Shadow Hearts Covenant with the design and the "Judgement Ring"). Also, from that I've heard there's no or not enough penalties for using your Tech Attacks (Wind Scar, Purifying Arrow), and I'm sorry but seeing Inuyasha hit a demon and it goes "ZAANNNNGGG!!" bugged the hell outta me. This appears to be a simple RPG that only appeals to InuYasha fans, newbies to RPG's can't even play it. From early reports I'm very disappointed because I really have been looking forward to a hands-on review of a anime-themed game. Oh well . . . there's always Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule Monster Coliseum! Cool
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:18 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman:

I agree with you in many points, and I thought that it deserved at least a 7.0 score (since it's mainly for the InuYasha fans and not many others; as I mentioned in my own review above)

But saying that InuYasha fans are outright not going to enjoy this game is not very true, though.

Also, the User Scoring is still up at the 8s and has been there since long before the review was posted.

The Frankman wrote:
Oh well . . . there's always Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule Monster Coliseum!

Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule... huh? Neutral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1