• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tsunderes that are actually tolerable.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
If it's not moe girls that the viewer wants to strangle, then it's the Tsundere. Can you honestly blame them? You have poorly written females like Naru Narusegawa or Minami Shimada that don't let their punching bags speak before decking them. That sort of thing just destroys the reputation of the archetype as a whole.

However, people these days ignore the more properly written ones. So, who do you consider the more likable of the bunch?

Kagome from InuYasha- While some would call her a bitch for using the sit command on IY, 9/10, he actually deserves it. Most of the time, he would ruin a romantic moment and insult Kagome.

On the subject of InuYasha, Sango from the same series- Unlike most Tsunderes who automatically attack when accidentally touched, Miroku is a shameless future rapist. He knows that he thinks with his dick and everyone else does too. He actually deserves a smack across the face.

Haruhi from Ouran High School Host Club- In comparison to most Tsunderes, she's not nearly as violent. She seems more like a fish out of water, being a lower class girl surrounded by rich pretty boys that don't know what canned beans are. In a way, I sort of relate to her. In highschool, I always felt like I was surrounded by morons up until I actually got to know them.

Sakura from Naruto (post-time-skip)- In part 1, she was pretty detestable. Once part 2 came around, she developed character. While most Tsunderes don't develop until the dead-end of the series, she only takes half the series to grow. Whenever she does go into bitch-mode, it's mainly because Sai blatantly insulted everyone. Unlike Naruto, Sai was a genuine douche-canoe that deliberately pisses everyone off. Of course, Studio Pierrot had to fudge all of that up because they never seem to watch the shows they adapt.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Haruhi from Ouran High School Host Club

Don't see where you're getting the idea she is a tsundere. She doesn't have neither the "tsun" nor the "dere" traits associated with a tsundere.

As for a tolerable tsundere, go with the original gal herself, Kimagure Orange Road's Madoka Ayukawa. Doesn't totally follow any of the common traits you would find from the "tsun" or "dere" sides that are are common in many titles nowadays as she is more subtle with showing her frustrations on Kyosuke's indecisiveness with handling Hikaru's advances on him while still having her adorable moments when she and Kyosuke get their alone time without Hikaru around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
There's a rather broad category of tsunderes where the character is better known for something else. Characters that fall into this category, e.g. Mai Tokiha of My-Hime, Tatiana Wisla of Last Exile, Misa Hayase from Macross, Rosette Christopher of Chrono Crusade, etc. These characters aren't judged as tsunderes. They can certainly be intolerable, but whether they are has little to do with how well they are written as tsunderes.

This reason extends to a second category of tsunderes that tend to be more tolerable than the most prominent tsunderes: shoujo heroines. For these characters, tsundere is one of the most prominent characteristics of the character. However, because the story is written from her point of view and meant for a female audience, we get much better insight to the character's thoughts and motivations. This makes her reactions more relatable and thus more likable. Another reason is that the male lead usually does something annoying to deserve the reaction from the heroine.

Examples of the second category:
Miki Koishikawa from Marmalade Boy: Yuu spends a lot of effort in the early parts of the series teasing her to hide his infatuation with her. She also became acquainted with him through circumstances that she didn't like. Thus, it's not surprising that she's annoyed with him. However, he's also genuinely kind and helpful toward her in many instances, so we see her transition from antagonism to like.

Yukino Miyazawa from Kare Kano: She's a good example of a tsundere whose tsun tendencies aren't justified with the male's outrageous or annoying behavior. We see quite well that Yukino has an almost pathological obsession with maintaining her public image--understandable, certainly--, and Arima gets under her skin by being able to see through her and by being similar in many ways. She is annoyed with him because he challenges her public image without doing anything objectively wrong, but we understand her frustration with him because we know how important her image is to her. And she transitions from tsun to dere as she becomes comfortable with him as a companion who knows her secret.

Kokoro Tokunaga from Aishiteruze Baby: A bit different from the standard model, because she isn't the series protagonist. The protagonist is actually her love interest, the male Kippei. However, Kippei has something of a reputation as an irresponsible player, so it's not surprising that she doesn't like him initially. As the series progresses, Kippei becomes more responsible an earnest, partly because he has found a girl he really loves, but mostly because he's been in charge of a young child. So we see a natural progression from disliking him to liking him.

The shoujo heroine actually tend to fall into a different trap, which is making her seem like some sort of battered wife with how much she puts up with as she transitions into the dere stage. Mikan Sakura from Gakuen Alice is a good example.

Last edited by Boomerang Flash on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quote
I might have a few:

Tsumiki from Acchi Kocchi she is at least not violent with her love interest, she is just really shy, not to mention adorable.

Ririchiyo from Inu x Boku while at first appears to be a standard tsundere, but the behavior is more of an issue she has where she pushes people away because of poor communication skills and her childhood. While saying things that make her look arrogant she is actually hating herself for saying it. tsunshun

Misaka Mikoto from To aru Majutsu no Index, she is just so good that she got her own spin-off. Actually to be honest she seems to lose cognitive thought around her love interest, luckily she is safe from the worst she has.

And for bonus: Himawari and Sakurako from Yuru Yuri, double tsundere yuri couple for the win.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:01 am Reply with quote
Taiga from Toradora.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:20 am Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
Taiga from Toradora.

Really? We are talking about the psycho b*tch who - using a wooden sword - attacked the doormat male character in his apartment? Who goes around punching people in the corridor just because they didn't move out of the way? Who is incapable of looking after herself? And that was just the first episode for crying out loud. She's awful, she has anger management issues, and she is definitely not cute. I couldn't stand her.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:59 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
blaizevincent wrote:
Taiga from Toradora.

Really? We are talking about the psycho b*tch who - using a wooden sword - attacked the doormat male character in his apartment? Who goes around punching people in the corridor just because they didn't move out of the way? Who is incapable of looking after herself? And that was just the first episode for crying out loud. She's awful, she has anger management issues, and she is definitely not cute. I couldn't stand her.

Most Awesome Psycho B*tch Ever : ) , Come on she's not that bad and she develops well as a character across the series and the ending is really good.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:14 am Reply with quote
I'd have to say Lina Inverse from Slayers. It definitely helps being in a slapstick setting where she tends to get as good as she gives; the fact that her range of overreactions includes the occasional dragon slave doesn't hurt either.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote
Uh... oh, good grief. Do some of you know what a tsundere is? Haruhi? Lina? 1000 points from Slitherin, you two.

To be honest, it would be much easier for me to list tsunderes who were intolerable, given I like most of them. I know it's an overused trope, but I can't help enjoying them.

Sticking with the tolerable, here are mine:

Eri Sawitchka (School Rumble) - Coming from "overseas", not only does she have to adapt to Japanese culture, but her family's strict upbringing makes it difficult for her to show off her emotions, let alone those fleeting feelings for Harima.

Shana (Shakugan no Shana) - Note: basing this off season 1 and opinion subject to change later this year. A Flame Haze who has to battle and deal with her feelings for a guy who can disappear at any moment. Poor girl so her attitude is tolerable because of it.

Kanami Chidori (Full Metal Panic) - The only reason I can tolerate her is because of Tessa, who announces she likes Souseke. This changes the tsundere attitude for the better. Fumoffu's pool scene still remains one of my favorites.

Lotte (Astarotte's Toy) - Let's get this out of the way now: I'm talking about a 10 year old character who shows feelings for her charge. What makes this tsundere tolerable is how they applied the trope. We can clearly see she's not into him for dating but she struggles to relate to him. Very well done, in my opinion. Those facial expressions were so cute. Too bad the description and crotch shots f*cked up this anime's chance at success. It's potential forever wasted. Idiots.

I'll keep this list short since I can tolerate most of them. I love the tsundere, but will admit some are better than others.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:47 am Reply with quote
The only enjoyable tsundere girls I can think of are Rin (Type Moon) and Kurisu (Steins;Gate). Both are intelligent characters that have a lot more going for them. And they don't spend all their time being tsun whenever around the protagonist, unlike every other tsundere. There are a few more I like, but not because of their archetype.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:19 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
1000 points from Slitherin, you two.

Great! How are we going to get that many points back? Unless. Who wants to go on a life threatening quest o the forbidden areas with me?

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Lotte (Astarotte's Toy) - Let's get this out of the way now: I'm talking about a 10 year old character who shows feelings for her charge. What makes this tsundere tolerable is how they applied the trope. We can clearly see she's not into him for dating but she struggles to relate to him. Very well done, in my opinion. Those facial expressions were so cute. Too bad the description and crotch shots f*cked up this anime's chance at success. It's potential forever wasted. Idiots.

I am trying to remember how she acted as a tsundere, she did kind of have a problem making friends. Her strong reactions kind of upset Asuna in the beginning, and friend was one that she fights with all of the time. Her behavior with the male lead can kind of come from her understandable distrust of men.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:40 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Uh... oh, good grief. Do some of you know what a tsundere is? Haruhi? Lina? 1000 points from Slitherin, you two.

Lina Inverse isn't that bad of an answer or at least better than Ouran's Haruhi. She's out right dismissive towards Gourry normally and she's only willing to show her softer feelings for him when he's either near death or just plain gone. Snide comments on his intelligence and dog-like loyalty should be good enough to rate "tsun" seeing how she's a first class mage and he's a world reknown swordfighter.

I'm not sure about the word "tolerable". As tsundere's go, I like them cute and nasty, or is it mood swinging between cute and nasty? I even like Kirie from Girls Bravo who hits the tsuntsun end of the tsunderes.

For normal people, I'm guessing Kyou from Clannad would be the upper bracket, physically abusive to her love interest's friend, her real tsun rating hits only as high as snarky playful banter, in fact she's not even insulting. So isn't she just a girl best friend who wants to be more but has no idea how to instigate it?

For normal, actual, tsunderes, I'll pick Eri from School Rumble, a tsundere who falls in love with a violent, romantic, artistic idiot. Yelling at each other is just a way to say hello for those types. Then they cool down just to heat up again...

Toradora's Taiga who's whole state of being is either anger or lonliness. She knows she's screwed up, but she can't figure out how to get herself out of it. Enter Ryuji and eventually, Taiga gets better. But I like her more as a violent scrappy so there's that.

Minami from Baka and Test. Akihisa's an idiot who deserves a lot number of wrestling holds he gets. Outside of that, she's usually nice to him and they get along from well to really well. So, most of her tsun comes from the fact he's too much of an idiot to notice her dere.

That makes sense. Or more sense than most tsundere personalities.
manicli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:56 am Reply with quote
Taiga from Toradora is very likable in my opinion Smile
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
Merry From Yumekui Merry. There is no doubt she is tsun-tsun but she's the most non-violent tsundere I've ever seen. Anime hyper

Mio from MM! While she is very violent towards the main character.....spoiler[he is a masochist so he really enjoys it LMAO] Mio has a very good reason for everything she does. She is in reality, a very kind girl who bases her life around trying to help others. She will not hit you out of anger unless you make fun of her DFC. That's asking for the death penalty. Anime hyper

Aria H. Kanzaki from Hidan No Aria. She is my favorite of the line of Rie Kugimiya tsundere and while she seems unlikable in the first two episodes, she gets a whole lot better. You also find out that her sometimes selfish actions are spoiler[entirely to help her mother.] She cares deeply about Kinji, her partner and love interest and treats him like an equal human being....most of the time. She is uber-sensitive to the subject of romance or anything perverted....so as long as you don't get caught with her panties in your hands, you are safe. Anime hyper
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
She is my favorite of the line of Rie Kugimiya tsundere and while she seems unlikable in the first two episodes, she gets a whole lot better.

To me she stayed annoying the whole series. I didn't notice much of change to be honest. She just went from full annoying to 3/4 annoying. She's the exact same kind of tsundere most people are sick of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6