• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chibi Maruko-chan

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:04 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know anything about this series? It seems to be one of those sitcoms that's popular in Japan but nobody knows about here, like Crayon Shin-chan and Sazae-san. But my interest was piqued when I saw two absolutely brilliant clips from the second Chibi Maruko-chan movie 'My Favorite Song' (scroll down a little). Now I know that it isn't going to be up to the level of the 'Diva' clip all the way through, but the movie/series/whatever has to be at least somewhat innovative and offbeat for that to appear in it, right? Anyone got any leads?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sacchan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Chibi Maruko-chan was super popular in Japan about a decade ago. It's sort of a collection of short slice-of-life stories about Maruko and her wacky family and friends.

It's said that the mangaka Momoko Sakura based the manga on her childhood, so most of Chibi Maruko-chan are true stories.

I wasn't into Chibi Maruko-chan when the show was popular, so I've seen only a few episodes of it. But later, I read a collection of Maruko-chan essays written by Momoko Sakura, and I was impressed by how she captures normal, everyday life and makes it so interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1