• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2008 - ADV Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:05 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Okay, I just have to ask: can anyone out there explain to me the difference between a "seiyuu" and a "voice actor"? Obviously there must be some important distinction to necessitate the use of different terms for two groups of people who do THE EXACT SAME THING: stand in front of a microphone and read scripts so that animated characters have a voice.

The Seiyu came first? That is the only explaination I can come up with anyways. There is no difference, but unfortunately the purists/elitists will never accept that fact...

Quote:
Seiyuu tend to be Japanese. Everything else is just a function of anime being a more mainstream medium there.

Yeah, because you know the Japanese would never try and make anime a mainstrean thing over in Japan, right? Rolling Eyes Please, seiyu are used just as much as US actors/actressess, if you think otherwise then you are a dissillusioned SOB.

Quote:
As for the japanese language track being preferred, that's a function of often not being annoyed so much by annoying voices that you can't understand and often better production in the Japanese version - you know who you are.

Okay, this statement was not coherent at all. I think what you meant to say was:
"I tend to be annoyed by the english VA's (for whatever reasons, I won't go into them here), so I prefer the Japanese tracks. Since the english tracks tend to not 'sound' the same as the Japanese tracks, I find the english tracks to be annoying. Thus, most American anime fans prefer the Japanese tracks since this stance falls inline with my own, and I am superior."
Please, feel free to correct me where you feel I am wrong, I will refrain from saying further until then...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
bradc wrote:
Most and majority do prefer Japanese Seiyuu, who are more popular than the English VA here, where the English VA doesn't even get the status of a rockstar, nor have their own magazines where the Japanese do.
Okay, I just have to ask: can anyone out there explain to me the difference between a "seiyuu" and a "voice actor"? Obviously there must be some important distinction to necessitate the use of different terms for two groups of people who do THE EXACT SAME THING: stand in front of a microphone and read scripts so that animated characters have a voice.
Simply one speaks flent Japanese whilst the other doesn't, but I get your point. The answer is, apart from language, they are both the same, but because animation is much more accepted as a media in Japan than anywhere else in the world, seiyuu can, and do gain more status from their profession there than anywhere else in the world. What's the difference between a gankai and a hard place? Wink
bmfrosty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Yeah, because you know the Japanese would never try and make anime a mainstrean thing over in Japan, right? Rolling Eyes Please, seiyu are used just as much as US actors/actressess, if you think otherwise then you are a dissillusioned SOB.

I have no idea what you just tried to say there. If you want the deadpan answer instead of the slightly tongue and cheek one, the answer is that Seiyuu is the Japanese word for "Voice Actor", and the other poster was being a bit pretentious.

Your assertion that they're hiring Japanese voice actors for American productions and vice versa is pretty ludicrous though. I think I'd notice the accents.

Quote:
Quote:
As for the japanese language track being preferred, that's a function of often not being annoyed so much by annoying voices that you can't understand and often better production in the Japanese version - you know who you are.

Okay, this statement was not coherent at all. I think what you meant to say was:
"I tend to be annoyed by the english VA's (for whatever reasons, I won't go into them here), so I prefer the Japanese tracks. Since the english tracks tend to not 'sound' the same as the Japanese tracks, I find the english tracks to be annoying. Thus, most American anime fans prefer the Japanese tracks since this stance falls inline with my own, and I am superior."
Please, feel free to correct me where you feel I am wrong, I will refrain from saying further until then...

I guess you could twist what I said like that. Really though, when I'm watching subs I'm hearing but not listening to the Japanese actors. On the few occasions where I've actually tried to listen to the language, I usually find a voice or two that's as equally annoying as *some* of the ones heard on American dubs. Excel form Excel Saga and Yuriko from YUA are two examples that I just can't block out any way around and come to mind immediately.

The majority of the voices I hear in the American Dubs are just fine.

With American dubs, I kind of have to listen. Maybe I should start watching anime with the sound off. Razz

As far as your mocking goes, grow up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6