• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Do I Do With All These Bootleg DVDs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I bought a few things on bootlegs back in the day:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Robot Carnival
Future Boy Conan
Kodocha (2nd half)

The first two are (finally) getting a legit release, but I'm still waiting on the other two.
...and Kodocha doesn't even have proper fan subs for the second half.
Come on, anime industry... Please?
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm really hopping that Discotek will pick up Kodocha, someday. It might be a stretch but they are releasing stuff I never though would see the light of day again, so who knows?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Oh, it's a ways off, in the industrial district? I don't go around there much, but I do see a lot of abandoned warehouses.

That sounds about right. Much of that area is being upscaled and turned into an "Arts District." I don't venture too far from Little Tokyo when I'm there. You know, Skid Row and all that.
Quote:
Maybe they thought you were going to report them, or maybe they were just simply startled that you were able to get into a restricted area. I'm sure these bootleggers, bases of operations are meant for absolutely no one to know about except the people who work there, and they were probably astonished you went as far as to track them down. I would've been interested in how they would've reacted had you tried the replacement DVDs sooner and returned.

Astonished is a good word. The guy was certainly jumpy. Although, I do remember being surprised that I was able to track them down so easily. Pretty sure the door would have been locked if I didn't show up just as someone was leaving.

Once I realized the second set wouldn't play (like the first set), I just wrote it off as a lesson learned. I also don't think I wanted to find out what would have happened if I went back there.

btw, loved your Chubby post. That was hilarious! Laughing
supersqueak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
Eh if you don't feel comfortable throwing them in the garbage I would probably post an ad on craigslist for anyone that wants them and leave them out on the curb or something. Someone might want them strangely enough I bought some Sailor Moon fansubs on VHS from a thrift store once I don't know why honestly I just thought they were interesting. I can see people wanting bootleg toys a lot more for the sake of fixing them. You can do them a bit of justice I bet by repainting some stuff might be good for Cosplay.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I think it's funny that most people who bought bootlegs were for the Sailor Moon series!

For me, I think I was a sucker for the word "Import," because I thought they were legit dvds until I actually bought them. Instead, they were just terrible copies of the original box set, for a lesser cost.

Before Buy.com became Rakuten I found a seller that was selling the SMS DVD box set, and it gave all the UPC information as well as the logistic details. So I really thought it was legit and wanted to get it express.

The express took a month and I complained to buy.com customer service multiple times, and when I finally got it, it was basically a picture of Sailor Moon in her Super form, a really crappy version of the Sailor Moon US logo and nothing in the back giving info so I knew it was a bootleg.

I called, told customer service to look at the feedback that the customers posted (who also complained), and low and behold, a few days later I got a refund and the seller's shop was completely shut down.

Go meeeee
dipanime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
there are some series that won't be released like any time soon wataru , machine robo complete ,granzort, blue dragon both series, i am still keeping my bootleg anime dvds. r
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
DaisakuKusama wrote:
Astonished is a good word. The guy was certainly jumpy. Although, I do remember being surprised that I was able to track them down so easily. Pretty sure the door would have been locked if I didn't show up just as someone was leaving.

Once I realized the second set wouldn't play (like the first set), I just wrote it off as a lesson learned. I also don't think I wanted to find out what would have happened if I went back there.

btw, loved your Chubby post. That was hilarious! Laughing

Yeah, I don't think they expect anyone to walk on through. I'm used to doing that though. I worked for the 2010 US Census and had to figure out ways to get into private and restricted areas. Turns out that, 99 times out of 100, you can get into a restricted area by going through a door or gate as someone else is entering or leaving. All you do is wait for someone to get in or out and hold the path open. I don't advise anyone do this for fun though, only when you think it's necessary, as otherwise it's burglary.

Those aren't consecutive screenshots for Final Fantasy X, if it looked that way, by the way. I don't know what they originally said though, but suffice to say everyone's lines get mangled in some way or another that somehow creates its own surreal narrative.

tygerchickchibi wrote:
The express took a month and I complained to buy.com customer service multiple times, and when I finally got it, it was basically a picture of Sailor Moon in her Super form, a really crappy version of the Sailor Moon US logo and nothing in the back giving info so I knew it was a bootleg.

Wait, did you actually get DVDs or was it just a box?
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:31 am Reply with quote
Sorry to say so but i kinda do have a quite obscure taste and sometimes the bootleg markt is often way more intresting to me then the shit they do bring out .... (mostly stuff from East Asia some of that may still actually be real especially if it's from Hong Kong or Korea and i think there's also at least one real company in Taiwan)

So once in a while i even get some stuff if i really want it ... i still do even if i know it's kinda wrong i support the actual industry enough so it's not anyone can tell me what to do when it comes to this my take on it !!!
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:04 am Reply with quote
I bought a bootleg one time. It was the 2nd Cardcaptor Sakura movie. It was WAY before that movie was even licensed and they weren't even done with releasing the series yet so I bought it so I could watch it.

It wasn't horrible quality surprisingly but I still replaced it when the official release came out. I still have the bootleg copy too, tho, lol.
kamui85

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
pfft! is this really an issue? i understand wanting to support the industry and collecting official merchandise, but winning about something you did a decade ago? keep them and watch their content with nostalgia. or lend them to friends.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
EyeOfPain wrote:
If you really feel the need to steal content, you might as well just go digital. At least then you aren't funding criminal organizations likely involved in the drug and sex trades.

A lot of these probably come from a time when it wasn't that easy to get digital fansubs. The late 90s and early 00s most people still had dial up. Even the smallest video would take hours to download.

The other here as a few people said, they didn't know. There are a lot of bootlegs that look pretty legit and unless you are the kind of person who pay attention to detail it is really easy to miss.

Today though there isn't much of a reason.

It was directed specifically at people who are still intentionally purchasing bootlegs, like K'un Lun Kid.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I have bootlegs of four out of five Sailor Moon seasons. They were taken from Japanese remastered DVDs. The buyer promised me that these would be of higher quality than the Pioneer DVDs, and he was right. These DVDs are not only light years ahead of the Pioneer quality, but also the new Viz release. I can pause on the exact cel or sketch I own and get a clear shot of that particular frame. No weird colors, blurring, etc.

This has been the only time where I've bought higher quality bootleg DVDs than the official version. So, while likely uncommon, bootlegs can be of an equal or better quality than the official release.

Are the subs any good?
ZJCitrusGraffiti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I have one bootleg set (.hack//SIGN), and I've kept it.

First off, I've always wanted to let you know that I really admire your username. Additionally, and I hope you don't mind this, I want to ask someone has confirmed to have .hack//SIGN in another version other than an official R1 release. One aspect of multiple releases of a single title that I care about is the disc and case art. What's the same, what's different, what's extra bits of art. May I ask you to elaborate? I hope this isn't too much to ask. Thanks on advance.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote
I'm going to be harsh: You own a garbage can. That's one place they could go. They're bootlegs, and they're old. I've seen some obscure anime transferred to streaming video, so odds are that if you chucked all this stuff, you would be able to find it elsewhere if you needed it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:16 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I've seen some obscure anime transferred to streaming video, so odds are that if you chucked all this stuff, you would be able to find it elsewhere if you needed it.

If you mean illicit streaming, then the bootlegs are better. They're already bought and paid for, the booters are getting no more money out of you - but they do if you watch streams plastered with ads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7