• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sound! Euphonium 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:12 am Reply with quote
AmericanGiven wrote:
...The point about yuribait here is not just about romantic relationships but fandom shipping as well, which is most of you don't get at all. These people invested into their yuri ships only to get swerved with sudden or hidden het. Especially when they didn't check the source material first. I honestly can't blame them because yuri is still a very small and overlooked genre.

If people stopped believing in the "death of the author" concept being anything other than the internally created fan fiction that it is, they would not end up being disappointed. As for yuri still being niche, that may just be anime reflecting the real world and not having a diversity agenda.

AmericanGiven wrote:
If you think yuribait is applicable to CGDCT simply because of the yuri subtext and even without male love interests, then Love Live!, arguably the CGDCT franchise with the biggest yuri fandom ever, would have put Hibike! Euphonium to deep shame. At least unlike all the yuribaits that I mentioned, Love Live never has that toxic "yuri vs het" shipping war in its fan community. Funnily enough, Love Live was meant to be another Idolmaster clone early on but then it went with that het-free yuri-friendly direction that K-On! did. Even if their ships didn't become canon, they were cool with it because their ships never sank, something that Hibike actually did with KumiRei in both the novel and anime. Not to mention that LL made its own trend of multimedia idol girls franchises without the self-insert guy/het thing, like Bang Dream, Shoujo Revue, and D4DJ, the latter having a canon yuri couple. Just imagine if Euphonium was more like Love Live and its contemporaries, we could have had a much more peaceful fandom.

Love Live! is weird in that there are no speaking male characters seen other than two occasions where a boy says a hat looks like poop - almost every other anime has at least male persons in the background or in tertiary roles. As for yuri shipping, that is just wishful thinking since there is not a single girl-girl romantic date, much less a steady relationship in the whole franchise to date.

As for a peaceful fandom, why care about that in the first place?

AmericanGiven wrote:
You may as well put some Manga Time Kirara anime in the same league as Hibike; K-On and Bocchi the Rock being two of them. Or those recent anime originals like Do It Yourself, Girls Band Cry, Jellyfish, and possibly those two upcoming PA Works anime this summer. I have already said enough and I apologize for being off-topic and putting all these anime over Hibike. But unlike Hibike, they were simple never designed to have het (or at the very least, have it as a major plot device) from the beginning and thus, they can't be labeled as yuribaits. Quite frankly, I would rather have them because they are more *ahem* straight-forward with their intentions instead of being up for interpretation.

Most Manga Time Kirara adaptations avoid romance altogether, and it is again internal fan fiction to see yuri in them. There is such a thing as girls just being friends with each other.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote

Quote:
Yeah, no. I wouldn't call Sound Euphonium KyoAni's finest work, especially not while people are still arguing over whether or not Sound Euphonium is Yuri-bait, three seasons in.

Luckily works of art are not held hostage to rather parochial political arguments that are going to look quite silly in a few years. The whole yuri-baiting thing is going to age about as well as the the idea that the EC horror comics of the 1950s were a threat to society. Would-be censors always lose in the long run. People will be watching Sound! Euphonium in twenty years, and fifty years, and in a hundred years, because it's a great piece of media. Like most things it will fall out of favor at times and fall back into it, but a show of this quality will last a long, long time.

Quote:
Also, Nichijou still exists.

A better argument, although in the end similarly futile, because K-On!! is the best KyoAni series. Nichijou is pretty great, though.
Xenobob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:28 am Reply with quote
One thing I love about this show (and it's equally true of the finale) is the attention to detail, in which a small detail tells a bigger story. Two quick examples from the post-credit scene in the finale:
1) The quick shot of Eupho-kun. Kumiko still has Eupho-kun, except instead of being attached to a school bag, he's now attached to the handle of a briefcase. If you take a close look, he has been lovingly stitched up three times. She has had him by this point for at least 6 1/2 years, and despite the fact that he is a cheap toy out of a vending machine, Kumiko still takes care to fix Eupho-kun any time he pops a stitch.
2) The flower hairpin. When Kumiko told Shuichi she needed to take a break until after the competition in third year and returned the hairpin to him, she gave him the choice of whether to give it back to her at that point. Clearly he did, and the fact that she displays it so prominently on her book, taking it with her wherever she goes, suggests that it is important to her, further suggesting that they are still together (although that's not conclusive).[/list]
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:02 am Reply with quote
Xenobob: Nice!

This sort of thing, of course, goes back at least as far as K-On! In the very first episode when we open on the photo of Yui and Nodoka in their middle school outfits, we get a ton of info. We know they graduated because the picture details them waving their diplomas in those roll-up leather cases. It also connotes Nodoka, who we meet later, to be a close, old friend. Meanwhile, Yui's new school uniform hangs on the wall. Ui comes in wearing the uniform that Yui wears in the picture, establishing her as a younger sister....

KyoAni does good work.
Uokel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:11 pm Reply with quote
soTomoyo Kurosawa's tweet gave away an Easter egg. It appears the previous creators including those who died during the Kyoani arson attack were in the audience.

https://x.com/TomoyoKurosawa/status/1807328765447684211

https://x.com/rica0867/status/1807785894847627637
UsagiLAN90

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I really hope Ayano Takeda will give us a very good explanation about the ending. If it really is an open "up to interpretation" ending then why is that damn hairpin there? Why are you making it look like Kumiko and Shuichi got together at literally the very last few seconds of the anime despite Shuichi not doing much for most part of the anime? KyoAni and Takeda's hatred for yuri is really showing here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5