• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Next Forum Tournament - Voting Results

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Best Sensei gets a 4 from me and Best Love Triangle gets a 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
4 to Best Rivals. Do I really have to pick a secondary choice? I'd rather give negative votes to the other two. Maybe I missed something, but why is that Best Sensei and not Mentor?

But if I really do need a secondary vote then I'll pick Best Sensei. Then we can go with some hot school nurses because we all know every school nurse in Japan is hot.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
4 points for Best Rivals, but I would like to do the broader version Best Adversaries, since it may be more fun. More great characters are available that don’t fall into the category of rivals such as: Tenma vs, Johan or Ahiru vs. Drosselmeyer.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
[edit], I think I will change my vote, now that it's been reverted to "Mentor" instead of Sensei.

4 to Best Rivals

2 to Best Mentor
2 to Love Triangle

I might have voted for Sensei, maybe next time.
I kind of like the idea that you can vote on something other than character depth but I wonder if it hurts the helping hand characters and ojii-san and obaasan characters who are there for more general support but can still be great mentors.
... although, now that I think about it, maybe that does take out some of the overlap from the "supporting character" tourney.
Still, I would have preferred the chance to debate the "Sensei" alteration before it was chosen as a candidate choice.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
4- Best Rivals (a '+' for Adversaries)

2 - Best Sensei

Either one would be great, but I think Rivals/Adversaries for now might be a more interesting option and I can see an opening for so many amazing nominations!

I don't care much for the love triangles one, I can't really think of that many love triangles anyway, which would make the tournament a lot less fun for me.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Primary vote for Best Rivals
Secondary vote for Best Sensei

In regards to the Best Rivals tournament, I would prefer the more defining it in the more strict terms. I fear best adversaries allows for the potential for nominees that have somewhat less depth of dynamic, but are from cult favorites. For example, Aylinn mentioned Ahiru vs Drosselmeyer. While I would not dare question the severity of the conflict, the actual interaction between the two is rather limited and it only really becomes apparent towards the end of the series that the two are at irreconcilable odds. A series might not have to explicitly state that a set of characters are rivals, but I believe for a nomination to be viable in such a tournament, it should be clear from the actions and attitudes of the opposing individuals that they have a particular, personally meaningful conflict with each other.
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
In regards to the Best Rivals tournament, I would prefer the more defining it in the more strict terms. I fear best adversaries allows for the potential for nominees that have somewhat less depth of dynamic, but are from cult favorites. For example, Aylinn mentioned Ahiru vs Drosselmeyer. While I would not dare question the severity of the conflict, the actual interaction between the two is rather limited and it only really becomes apparent towards the end of the series that the two are at irreconcilable odds. A series might not have to explicitly state that a set of characters are rivals, but I believe for a nomination to be viable in such a tournament, it should be clear from the actions and attitudes of the opposing individuals that they have a particular, personally meaningful conflict with each other.
I agree completely. I really like the idea of Best Rivals, but the judging criteria is already kinda vague so it should be as clear as possible.

Best Sensei gets my primary vote, but when did it become best SENSEI? That is really, really limiting. There are many characters that are great mentors, but not teachers or coaches. Like Rakushun from 12 Kingdoms or Ms Edel from Princess Tutu. Best Love Triangle is my #2. The more I think about this one the more interesting it is.
Olliff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Best Sensei (Best Mentor) - 4 pts
Abstain - 2 pts

I would argue strongly that sensei gets reverted back to best mentor to include a broader pool. I, too, feel that Rakushun and a few other non-teacher/coach mentors should have a shot at this. Best Rivals is doable, but doesn't interest me at this time. I am strongly against the Best Love Triangle tournament due to not enough contenders, and vague criteria on what best love triangle would involve. Also not a huge fans of shows that attract this trope.

I respectfully disagree that the craziest overlaps with most humorous characters. Sure. humor is somewhat subjective and crazy can be considered funny to some, but I find character that try to be crazy more annoying than funny. This applies to Excel and the girl from Club to Death Angel. They may be insane and crass, but at least to me they are very annoying and not at all funny. I think witty characters with original humor would shine strongly in a most humorous tournament.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
4 points to Best Rivals
2 points to Best Love Triangle
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
4 points Best Love Triangle
2 points Best Rivals
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
4 points to Best Rivals
2 points to Best Mentor

Maybe I'll actually be able to complete one of these tournaments one of these days.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Best sensei / mentor - 4 points
Best rivals - 2 points
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Olliff wrote:
I would argue strongly that sensei gets reverted back to best mentor to include a broader pool.

That is the intent, yes. It never occurred to me that there could be some mentor-like characters out there that might not be legitimately called "sensei."

And to answer other concerns: I switched it to "sensei" from :mentor" to broaden the pool enough for the contest to be viable. There are many great teacher/trainer characters out there who couldn't really be considered mentors except by an extremely broad interpretation. (As someone who's worked in the education field basically all his professional career, "mentor" is a specific classification rather than a general term AFAIC.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raftina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
4 points to Best Love Triangle
2 points to Best Rivalry

Best Sensei... I have no idea why we had this ridiculous name change. If it actually gets chosen, there will be plenty of long-winded justifications to get all kinds of informal teacher-student relationships into the contest, if for no reason other than that anime tends to not use the formal teacher-student relationship in settings inspired by the west. If the description were carefully followed, it would exclude situations where the sempai is the de facto mentor of a character when both are apprenticed to the same sensei. As viewers, we are really more interested in the teacher-student dynamic rather than the social construct--the latter is merely one aspect of the dynamic and not a necessary one.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm copy and pasting Ggultra's vote because that's what I'm going with too.
Best Sensei gets a 4 from me and Best Love Triangle gets a 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7