• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z's Vegeta Voice Actors Chris Sabat, Ryo Horikawa Collaborate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's sad that while anime is a fun and entertaining medium, its worst contribution overseas is giving birth to double standard Japanophiles, the lowest form of life on the Internet.

Preferring and praising the Japanese dub of Beast Wars? I don't care if it is anyone's preference, that's just beyond sad.

I agreed, and as an Asian American, it disturb and pisses me off.

penguintruth wrote:

Also, the whole "You can't tell whether somebody is a good actor or not if you don't speak the language!" doesn't ring entirely true. Acting relies a lot on inflection and you can train yourself to pick up on that, if not perfectly, then at least adequately.

If you believe that, then tell me do Japanese dub of American video game sound better then the English voice:

COD: Black Ops

Bioshock

Crysis 2

Gears of War
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Right now Austin, Jad, Morgan, Anastasia, Micah, Akron and the dozens and dozens of new voices Funimation is using are new and unimportant to fans. But they'll get a role one day, hit it out of the park, garner a fan following, be rewarded for doing a great job by getting more jobs, and then the dicks will be complaining how they're overused and Funimation doesn't try to expand it's pool.

It's a vicious cycle, really.

One can argue that there's already a major backlash against Micah Solusod despite his not having that many roles, mainly due to the fact that his standard range is practically identical to that of Johnny Yong Bosch. Of course, they do have their differences. Johnny can manage much higher pitches (Eureka Seven, Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, Disgaea 3), while Micah can go quite low-pitched if he has to (going purely off what little I've heard of him as Gai in Guilty Crown).

To Micah's credit, he's been taking the whole thing in stride so far. As per his own FAQ, paraphrased on his TV Tropes entry: Johnny's the cool one who knows martial arts, Micah's the skinny guy screaming like a little girl while he runs away from the one who knows martial arts.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
All this talk about Beast Wars... isn't that more of evidence of native language/interpretation being the most ideal? How much pro-sub talk is really about Japanese being an inherently superior language?
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see the point of this honestly the idea is just moronic and unnecessary Funimation has a vast talent pool to pull from when it comes to casting for their dubs. Why would they need Japanese actors/actresses who speak poor english to be background voices in future Funimation dubs when they already have an amazing amount of voice talent to use. The entire concept is simply ridiculous to me.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Right now Austin, Jad, Morgan, Anastasia, Micah, Akron and the dozens and dozens of new voices Funimation is using are new and unimportant to fans. But they'll get a role one day, hit it out of the park, garner a fan following, be rewarded for doing a great job by getting more jobs, and then the dicks will be complaining how they're overused and Funimation doesn't try to expand it's pool.

It's a vicious cycle, really.

One can argue that there's already a major backlash against Micah Solusod despite his not having that many roles, mainly due to the fact that his standard range is practically identical to that of Johnny Yong Bosch. Of course, they do have their differences. Johnny can manage much higher pitches (Eureka Seven, Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, Disgaea 3), while Micah can go quite low-pitched if he has to (going purely off what little I've heard of him as Gai in Guilty Crown).

To Micah's credit, he's been taking the whole thing in stride so far. As per his own FAQ, paraphrased on his TV Tropes entry: Johnny's the cool one who knows martial arts, Micah's the skinny guy screaming like a little girl while he runs away from the one who knows martial arts.

Micah Solusod is a much more competent actor then Johnny Yong Bosch which he has proven time and time again over the years. The only real edge that Johnny has over Micah is that he can make his voice sound much more menacing if necessary.(Example being Hollow Ichigo) I've seen no backlash against Micah whatsoever the fans have been very supportive of him for some time now. Austin Tindle, Jad Saxton,Morgan Garrett & Anastasia Munoz already have a solid fan base that continues to grow with each new title they work on.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
hojo 360

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I don't really see the point of this honestly the idea is just moronic and unnecessary Funimation has a vast talent pool to pull from when it comes to casting for their dubs. Why would they need Japanese actors/actresses who speak poor english to be background voices in future Funimation dubs when they already have an amazing amount of voice talent to use. The entire concept is simply ridiculous to me.
Maybe they have less cash and this is cheaper lol?? jk but i don't see why people care who dose the voice as long as it fits and or sounds good and i don't think funi is that dumb that they get people in rolls endless there Eng was 100% lets try it before we bash it Very Happy. saying Micah Solusod is much more competent actor then Johnny Yong Bosch is a nice opinion but far from a fact Johnny's a vet and has been around a lot longer so show a lil respect
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
All this talk about Beast Wars... isn't that more of evidence of native language/interpretation being the most ideal? How much pro-sub talk is really about Japanese being an inherently superior language?

All this talk? We barely said anything about it.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
rootsofjustice wrote:
The question here shouldn't be why Chris Sabat is doing this and instead should be what FUNimation could have possibly acquired that would require the use of native Japanese speakers for its dub.

I like the way you think. This has some very interesting possibilities among the list of titles that would dubbed under the exteremely tight control of never leaving the roost.

Of course, it could also be an issue of wanting to speed-up the process by having actors ready to go locally.
Jave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
Idc there a bunch of dudes who sit around makeing goof ball dubs for you tube that dose not give em a right to be put in anime.Now if they go out and audition that's a fine but to me there a bunch of immature guys with way to much time on there hands and some of there biggest fans seem to be kids. I mean Team Four Star dose not do anything they rip clips and re dub em something anyone and there mom can do and a lot of people on you tube do it guess i'm just not a fan Shocked

It doesn't but you gotta remember dubbing companies can use them as some kinda promotional gimmick and I imagine Funimation would be fine doing that given they love to localize the heck out of dubs. Sub fans might not care about them or see the draw, but the fact these guys get panels at conventions somehow means people like them... for some reason Razz Just view the abridged/dub fans as a separate category than sub fans... though it is kinda sad if a dubbing company would actually try to cash in on some internet video series to sell their show.. guess they don't have much confidence in the show on it's own Laughing

mdo07 wrote:
If you believe that, then tell me do Japanese dub of American video game sound better then the English voice:

The only way to play Memelands 2 is in Japanese. Don't have to listen to all those awful internet memes every 3 seconds and you can enjoy normal dialog. Laughing
hojo 360

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
rootsofjustice wrote:
The question here shouldn't be why Chris Sabat is doing this and instead should be what FUNimation could have possibly acquired that would require the use of native Japanese speakers for its dub.

I like the way you think. This has some very interesting possibilities among the list of titles that would dubbed under the exteremely tight control of never leaving the roost.

Of course, it could also be an issue of wanting to speed-up the process by having actors ready to go locally.
Maybe it means they can get BDs out faster as maybe JPN will get a cut out of the prophets so they won't be so butt hurt with us bringing them out faster??
Crystal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Why do so many people chatting here have terrible spelling and/or grammar? I can't take an argument seriously if the person didn't bother to proofread their spelling.

And in regards to "Micah sounds like Johnny" . . . should someone not allowed to pursue VO for what they sound like? VO is about what you can DO with your voice, not about whether or not you have a good one. "Oh, you have a terrible/similar voice, you can't be a voice actor" seems pretty terrible to me.

And reusing English voice actors . . . Japanese voice actors do that too (but seemingly for a few years at a time, due to the ageism thing that still bugs me), cartoons do that too--how many nowadays has Tom Kenny or John DiMaggio? And English anime voice actors don't get paid alot or get residuals, so why shouldn't they get to work alot? I thought having a lot of roles was a cool thing . . .

And it makes me sorta uncomfortable that anime fans tend to antagonize/villainize voice actors. I never hear cartoon fans say "I hate Jim Cummings, I hate Tara Strong" etc.

I think this Chris Sabat / Ryo Horikawa collaboration sounds cool!
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
seandream91 wrote:
way to spin something positive completely negative English voice actors aren't gonna take over the world regardless of what anime these VA's are in your not forced to watch it

Is this actual progress in the English dub fan world? Bringing Engrish into the mix? Positive? Oh god we are doomed.

Business centric Funi wants to outsource to speed dub newly gained titles. History of why Eng dubs are hated is about to repeat itself.
seandream91

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
seandream91 wrote:
way to spin something positive completely negative English voice actors aren't gonna take over the world regardless of what anime these VA's are in your not forced to watch it

Is this actual progress in the English dub fan world? Bringing Engrish into the mix? Positive? Oh god we are doomed.

Business centric Funi wants to outsource to speed dub newly gained titles. History of why Eng dubs are hated is about to repeat itself.
well I'm pretty sure its something their testing out it probably won't be a full time thing unless its successful. And the reason dubs are generally hated in some cases has more to do with perception than anything else but that's just my opinion
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:01 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
And reusing English voice actors . . . Japanese voice actors do that too (but seemingly for a few years at a time, due to the ageism thing that still bugs me), cartoons do that too--how many nowadays has Tom Kenny or John DiMaggio? And English anime voice actors don't get paid alot or get residuals, so why shouldn't they get to work alot? I thought having a lot of roles was a cool thing . . .

And it makes me sorta uncomfortable that anime fans tend to antagonize/villainize voice actors. I never hear cartoon fans say "I hate Jim Cummings, I hate Tara Strong" etc.

Johnny Yong Bosch, Yuri Lowenthal, Steve Blum, Crispin Freeman, and Todd Haberkorn have only a fraction of the documented roles of, say, Katsuyuki Konishi, Takahiro Sakurai, Keiji Fujiwara, or Tomokazu Seki. Even Vic Mignogna, Chris Patton, and Greg Ayres are still dwarfed by the likes of Takehito Koyasu and Shinichiro Miki. Guess which of them get bashed for being "overused." That's just the way the double standard rolls.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:44 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
Why do so many people chatting here have terrible spelling and/or grammar? I can't take an argument seriously if the person didn't bother to proofread their spelling.

And in regards to "Micah sounds like Johnny" . . . should someone not allowed to pursue VO for what they sound like? VO is about what you can DO with your voice, not about whether or not you have a good one. "Oh, you have a terrible/similar voice, you can't be a voice actor" seems pretty terrible to me.

I think this Chris Sabat / Ryo Horikawa collaboration sounds cool!
Why do so many people chatting here have terrible spelling and/or grammar? look at your self bro Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7