• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Next Forum Tournament XII: Proposals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:44 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, some of our most prolific nominators commonly achieve nominations in the dozens...

"Dozens" might be overstating it. And "commonly"? Wink

Key wrote:
...It's just a matter of how much effort you're willing to put into doing write-ups. (And I'm convinced that, for some people, that's half the fun.)...

But, of course.

Composing a succint, accurate and persuasive nomination is a challenge. I think also there are people who aren't confident about writing up nominations. I reckon just give it a whirl.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote
To save someone some time, I'm going to do write ups for Raildex, Kurokami, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, and the Universal Century.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I've got a write up done for Princess Tutu :3 <3 Gold Crown Town!

Some others I'd want to try and do are Digimon, Toward the Terra, Simoun, and Infinite Ryvius, but I wouldn't care if someone else did them.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I have a question. I want to write a write-up for Slayers, but I find the new series bad on many levels and besides, I haven't seen the fifth series. So, can we pretend the fourth season and the fifth season don't exist?

I have already written a write-up for Pandora Hearts and I am also going to try writing one for The Heroic Legend of Arslan.

But I don't mind if someone else writes his/her own write-up for these series too.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
The winner would automatically be Osamu Tezuka, A.K.A. the father of Manga and the godfather of Anime. Every Manga and Anime since him has either used his designs and methods, or deliberately eschewed them. You can't find a more influential person in the entire industry.

Well that was an extremely short tournament.

Lol, I hate to put the kibosh on any idea, but I do generally agree with dtm42 about Tezuka. He is essentially my idol. I wrote something in another thread recently about how much I adore his works, not only just due to the innovations in art and theory, but also because the stories and characters were so compelling, and his social commentary was so on point. I still bust out my 1982 Astro Boy episodes on occasion. Such a great show Smile
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently tackling Birdy the Mighty, and despite the fact that I'm really knowledgeable about the intricacies of that setting, it's proving kind of difficult. How do you put simply something that isn't simple? I think that's the fun part.

Also, I'm going to do From the New World , which should be great fun to write up also Smile

Last edited by Galap on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I've started a write-up for Magi. I want to also nominate Haibane Renmei, but I'm worried I won't be able to do it justice. It's popular though so I'm sure someone more eloquent than me will nominate it.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:57 am Reply with quote
^Glad someone else is doing Magi. I started a write-up for it, but I don't really like how it was turning out^^;

I finished a write-up for 12K, but I imagine I'm not the only one thinking of that one xD I'm also doing Durarara!!, Princess Mononoke, and Wolf's Rain. Might do Gargantia if I have time. Definitely don't mind if someone more eloquent than me does any of these.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:30 am Reply with quote
I'm thinking of nominating Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Note I've restricted it to the one franchise. I think the Kenji Kamiyama and Mamoru Oshii versions are sufficiently inconsistent with each other to be treated as two different interpretations of the original source material. I also think Kenji Kamiyama's world building is far superior and more coherent than Mamoru Oshii's, even if the latter's is prettier to look at.

What do other people think?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote
I have a fair number on my to-do list but I don't know when I'll have time to actually write them up. I will say that I'll be sending supporting votes for 12K, Princess Tutu, and Wolf's Rain, all of which were on the list but look to be written up by others (yay, less work for me!).

Edit: Oh, also supporting Digimon, I forgot it had been mentioned.

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I'm thinking of nominating Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Note I've restricted it to the one franchise. I think the Kenji Kamiyama and Mamoru Oshii versions are sufficiently inconsistent with each other to be treated as two different interpretations of the original source material. I also think Kenji Kamiyama's world building is far superior and more coherent than Mamoru Oshii's, even if the latter's is prettier to look at.

What do other people think?

Interesting question. I see the difference as being much more in the story than in the setting; in fact, I don't see much difference at all in the setting details, other than that Oshii's portrayal is a bit grittier. If you're going to treat them as separate cases then definitely go with the Kamiyama version, as it has more time to be developed.

Oh, and Tris8: I'll do Haibane Renmei if you don't feel confident that you can do it justice.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Oh, and Tris8: I'll do Haibane Renmei if you don't feel confident that you can do it justice.
Thanks. I think I would do a decent job with its write-up, but a world like Glie deserves a great write-up.

Also, never before have I wanted so much to nominated Avatar: The Last Airbender Anime hyper. Yes, it's not anime, but the world-building is pretty amazing. During the Most-Improved tournament I kept wondering how Zuko would've fared. He would've given Youko a run for her money.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Also, never before have I wanted so much to nominated Avatar: The Last Airbender Anime hyper. Yes, it's not anime, but the world-building is pretty amazing. During the Most-Improved tournament I kept wondering how Zuko would've fared. He would've given Youko a run for her money.

Oh man, I so wish an exception could be made for this series, it's so damn close to being anime is so many aspects except being made in Japan (it's still animated in Korea). And I feel like even people who watch exclusively anime have still seen this for being that close. If we ever had an awesome old people tourney, Iroh would deserve to be seeded big time.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:57 am Reply with quote
Here's the shows I'm considering that I haven't seen mentioned: Fushigi Yuugi, Madoka Magica, Eden of the East, Trigun, Story of Saiunkoku, Gankutsuou, Rose of Versailles, Escaflowne, Sailor Moon, and Gunslinger Girl.

I also don't know enough about the series but was wondering in Soul Eater's setting was developed enough to in here as well.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Here's the shows I'm considering that I haven't seen mentioned: Fushigi Yuugi, Madoka Magica, Eden of the East, Trigun, Story of Saiunkoku, Gankutsuou, Rose of Versailles, Escaflowne, Sailor Moon, and Gunslinger Girl.

Ohh, Gunslinger Girl would actually be a pretty good choice. The art--they had works by Fra Angelico and Botticelli--the opera Tosca with commentary on Italian tragedy and the architecture were one thing, but the show also included the North South divide, and the political terrorism (kidnappings, assassinations, weapon smuggling, etc.) that is inspired by Italian history. It definitely made you feel that you were in modern day Italy with a covert government agency.

Quote:
I also don't know enough about the series but was wondering in Soul Eater's setting was developed enough to in here as well.

I wouldn't support Soul Eater. I saw all of the show, but I'm not familiar with the manga. I do know there are some differences, and maybe the world is better developed in the manga. I personally found the setting and the rules to the world in the anime very unclear or patchy at best. At first it felt that everything took place in a different world with its own rules, but then as the series went along you found that it was more of an alternate type of earth. You had "Death Scythe's" in charge of certain regions like Africa, etc. It was never clearly explained how regular people viewed weapon meisters or death scythes therefore it wasn't clear as to everyone's place in society. I just found that there were many things that were not explained and it was more of an accept it for the entertainment type of reasoning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6