• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Funny Ha Ha

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Kinda late on this but great episode and discussion.

Just to add my 2 cents on anime comedy I can safely say I am generally not a fan. There are very few straight up anime comedy's I've enjoyed over the years and for the most part I'm not a fan of the Japanese sense of humor which I find relies too much of physical gag's and slapstick. Comedy wise my favorite stuff lies more in stuff like mid-90's American sitcom stuff like classic Simpsons or Seinfeld. What still makes those shows great is they are still so infinitely quotable which is something anime comedy just cant do due to the language barrier and lack of good English dubs. Of which that's one thing I would add to the topic of anime comedy is I think things just get lost in translation as it's hard to make something funny through subtitles as most comedy relies so much on timing and delivery. It's like trying to take classic Simpson's phrases like Homers "Do'h" or Mr. Burns' "Excellent" and trying to translate that into Japanese or something and have the same comical impact. This is also why I'm more willing for anime companies to add their own stuff to the dubs as wile most of the time it will fall flat you do sometimes get some gems from doing that. Classic example of this IMO was ADV's dub of Golden Boy back in the day, or even a title Justin mentioned a wile back which was ADV's dub of Nadesico. My favorite anime comedy which is another ADV gem was Full Metal Panic Fumoffu? which IMO is one of the best straight up anime comedy's that still makes me laugh out loud.

Anyway just my opinion, overall though anime comedy is just not my bag in general. Stuff like Sgt. Frog, Lucky Star, or any of the Otaku in-joke stuff I outright dislike. Like you guys also mentioned on the show most of the best comedic moments in anime are shows that are a mix of everything like a Slayers or a Trigun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5