• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dub Voice Actor Vic Mignogna Issues Statement: 'Taking Time to Recommit to God, Seeking He

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
If Vic really wants to make amends, he should apologize to those he wronged, either by video or social media. Then let his victims decide if they can forgive him.
chao8971

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
I think this whole ordeal has made me hate Vic's fans, more than Vic himself. They seem like horrible people and threatening the lives of two women, possibly more, for the "crime" of sharing their stories is not cool. Even if you don't like what they said about Vic, cyber bullying is never the answer. I'm starting to view these people as the worst type of scum.

I've learned this kinda things from other "nerd" based kinda things. The whole Chris Hardwick thing made me realize that fans are far more rabid and horrible than you could ever imagine. Its shocking to see this stuff going on, and I don't seriously seeing it getting better.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
braket wrote:
basically he's saying "I'm gonna sit there and read my bible all day and come back when the feelings I have in my heart from reading the book I like a lot tell me that I've beaten myself up enough. who knows how long this could take"

If I could I would just quote your entire post -- I went to religious schools from Pre-K to senior year of high school, albeit in Northern VA so not completely deep-rooted. Based on past experiences, I found your statements to be incredibly accurate.

As an aside, it completely devalues any sort of emotional comfort or sense of community that his church/faith outwardly strives for when he uses it as a crutch or quick fix like this. And that's largely one of the warning sirens I'm seeing from him on a constant basis - his religion is a blanket to hide under when he feels threatened.
BreathoftheWater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm not picking sides or anything as I honestly don't have a definitive answer as to whether he's guilty or not, but it's hard not to feel bad for him when his life has basically been destroyed. And it's hard to argue that "He brought it on himself" when we still don't have definitive evidence of wrongdoing or an official verdict from professional authorities. Again, I'm not picking sides, but I stand by the notion of "Innocent until proven guilty by court of law."

As for Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi, I'm not going to dismiss their testimonies as they may be legit. We'll just have to wait and see after a thorough investigation is conducted. However, the way they're reacting to fans on Twitter is unacceptable. They're being nothing short of unprofessional bullies and should also be held accountable by Funimation.
Benisara

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
braket wrote:
basically he's saying "I'm gonna sit there and read my bible all day and come back when the feelings I have in my heart from reading the book I like a lot tell me that I've beaten myself up enough. who knows how long this could take"

If I could I would just quote your entire post -- I went to religious schools from Pre-K to senior year of high school, albeit in Northern VA so not completely deep-rooted. Based on past experiences, I found your statements to be incredibly accurate.

You guys could very well be correct. Having grown up going to church (although I stopped when I was 11) and having met a lot of deeply religious people (some of which are my friends), it would make a lot of sense that he'd just sit with his religion and seek forgiveness or approval from someone in order to satisfy his own self-righteous beliefs. There are also religious leaders who have formal training in counseling. I had some classmates who were christian and wanted to take what they had learned and apply it to their community work. I wanted to mention the possibility that "IF" and that's a big if, Funimation or some other company gave him some kind of alternative such as "get help" or "come back when you've had treatment", he could possibly be seeking help from someone with that background, or maybe even a religious leader with that kind of training. That could be a possible compromise. But again, this is Vic we are talking about here. It's hard to change when you have been living this way and getting away with it for decades. I'm not super hopeful or supportive of him making a comeback. Personally, I find him icky and I'm glad he got kicked out of our convention after all these years. I suspect he was friends with the owner, since they have been inviting him from the first con. But this is definitely a wake up call for the industry, although it came a little after the backlash in Hollywood.

Last edited by Benisara on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
BreathoftheWater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
I think this whole ordeal has made me hate Vic's fans, more than Vic himself. They seem like horrible people and threatening the lives of two women, possibly more, for the "crime" of sharing their stories is not cool. Even if you don't like what they said about Vic, cyber bullying is never the answer. I'm starting to view these people as the worst type of scum.

Had Vic openly denounced the actions of said people, and even apologized on their behalf to Monica and Jamie, I would have respected the guy a great deal, even liked him a little more. The fact that he only vaguely words it as "be kind and please don't be hateful on my behalf" is a great over simplification of whats going on in his fan club. These idiots don't seem to realize that innocent or guilty, actually threatening to kill someone on Vic's behalf isn't helping their side at all, but some people just don't understand logic.

Vic's fans no doubt are guilty of going too far in their barrage of harassment towards Rial and Marchi. Vic at least came forward and denounced their actions and asked them to stop, but there's no way that'll happen when mob mentality is at an all time high. Whether you believe that his words were "over-simplified" or downplaying said actions however is purely up to conjecture. Furthermore, lets not pretend that Rial and Marchi are completely innocent either. They've been handling this very unprofessionally and have been insulting and cursing at Vic's fans online. Nobody's really in the right in this whole bloody mess.
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
I said it once and I'll say it again. 1) I'm willing to bet that if he treated boys the same way he treated girls there'd be significantly less people defending him. 2) If you honestly think there's nothing wrong with his behavior in those pictures or in the statements made by his victims then please do us all a favor. Don't ever breed.

^^^^ THIS.

Also, if this was a POC VA, the fanboys/Rangers would be calling for their head.
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, his fans are as horrible as Trumpers and can seriously go f right off.

Quote:

Had Vic openly denounced the actions of said people, and even apologized on their behalf to Monica and Jamie, I would have respected the guy a great deal, even liked him a little more. The fact that he only vaguely words it as "be kind and please don't be hateful on my behalf" is a great over simplification of whats going on in his fan club. These idiots don't seem to realize that innocent or guilty, actually threatening to kill someone on Vic's behalf isn't helping their side at all, but some people just don't understand logic.

Maybe he did to both women? Or maybe to Jamie Marchi...

Who knows. But whether y'all believe them or not, it's NEVER an excuse to threaten someone.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:24 pm Reply with quote
BreathoftheWater wrote:
getumbuck wrote:

Vic's fans no doubt are guilty of going too far in their barrage of harassment towards Rial and Marchi. Vic at least came forward and denounced their actions and asked them to stop, but there's no way that'll happen when mob mentality is at an all time high. Whether you believe that his words were "over-simplified" or downplaying said actions however is purely up to conjecture. Furthermore, lets not pretend that Rial and Marchi are completely innocent either. They've been handling this very unprofessionally and have been insulting and cursing at Vic's fans online. Nobody's really in the right in this whole bloody mess.

There's an "unprofessional" way to handle death threats? Well that's news to me. Also you're dam right that was an over simplification. I wonder how many death threats or attempts to get either lady fired happened today alone. If I was Vic, I'd be disgusted by these actions. I'd openly have denounced any fans who wanted to kill a person on my behalf. Vic's reply to this type of hate was "please be kind to others and don't spread hate", almost like he has no clue on just how horrible these people really are.

Last edited by getumbuck on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
BreathoftheWater wrote:
I'm not picking sides or anything as I honestly don't have a definitive answer as to whether he's guilty or not, but it's hard not to feel bad for him when his life has basically been destroyed. And it's hard to argue that "He brought it on himself" when we still don't have definitive evidence of wrongdoing or an official verdict from professional authorities. Again, I'm not picking sides, but I stand by the notion of "Innocent until proven guilty by court of law."

As for Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi, I'm not going to dismiss their testimonies as they may be legit. We'll just have to wait and see after a thorough investigation is conducted. However, the way they're reacting to fans on Twitter is unacceptable. They're being nothing short of unprofessional bullies and should also be held accountable by Funimation.

Keep in mind, it was enough evidence for Funimation to let him go after an investigation. Vic is to some, the face of the American anime industry and I would think Funimation wouldn't let him go so easily if their investigation did not nail him to the wall. It's not untrue to figure his livelihood may very well be destroyed, and it's normal as a human to find that disturbing on anyone's behalf, but you need to simultaneously recognise that the same goes for anyone who found themselves a victim of his behaviour. How many potential faces might we have lost in the anime industry if Vic had them blacklisted out of spite? How many other actors have dropped a part due to anxiety Vic may have caused them? These are performances we may have missed because of Vic. There are paychecks people may have missed because of him.

Torch & pitchforking Monica and Jamie on Twitter for reacting unprofessionally over an unprofessional situation that was aimed at them in the first place is incredibly extreme, especially when I'm not seeing them use the same sort of conduct that got Deadmau5 bumped off Twitch. Yes, if I was in their shoes, I'd have said my peace and then just shut Twitter off for a week or two and cooled down. Obviously they have hit a boiling point and it's spilling into their responses, but I'd have to argue that if the President can still be allowed a job and a Twitter account with half the things he's said/done/posted on the site, I'm still fine giving Monica and Jamie a pass for "not having the monk-like ability to suppress reactions" to a situation that is contextually out of hand and aimed directly at their faces.
Benisara

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I give Monica and Jamie all the credit in the world for coming forward with their stories. While it has been broadly known that Vic is a massive creep and a diva, their stories as his peers and members of the industry helped to substantiate the recent claims of harassment by others. I think they were very brave for doing it. That being said....twitter is kind of a hot mess. I don't think their reactions were necessarily unprofessional, but they would have benefited from ignoring the trolls and his fans once they made their statements, if nothing else then for their own well-being and peace of mind. Backlash is inevitable, and they'd probably benefit from not reading so many responses on twitter for a while.

It sounds like maybe Monica felt like she had to put on a facade, just because Vic was apparently, still very famous and popular. Sometimes when you have to work in an office with unpleasant people who have clout with the higher ups, you have to act like you get along, or cow-tow to them. I personally hate that stuff, but I've witnessed this kind of thing happening at places I've worked at. If anything, I feel bad for her for having to go through that. Vic's reputation proceeds him, again with the open secret analogy a la, Kevin Spacey, Morgan Freeman etc. Again, this is why I am disappointed that action was not taken against him sooner by people in the business that were, I don't know, responsible for hiring him. :/

Last edited by Benisara on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
ryukage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Salieri wrote:
I made this account a while ago, so no, I'm not a troll. I haven't deleted any of my posts, but it seems that people don't like what I said.

Salieri

It's right next to your post.
We can read.
Seif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote
The historical revisionism about Vic's career is one of the weirder aspects of this whole debacle. Vic has one of the largest fan bases because of his constant and specific cultivation he built around him and his "brand." He was nowhere near the level of prolificness that conspiracy theorists have been trying to bill him as. Christopher Sabat has had more roles, more industry involvement, more iconic characters, and more influence than Vic has had. Sabat is closer to the "Face of Anime voice acting" then Vic has been or will ever be. Vic is certainly *a big deal* but it's something that was to a large extent manufactured.

Hell, Sabat has had more iconic roles in ~one show~ then Vic has had in his entire career.

Last edited by Seif on Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
ryukage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
As an aside, it completely devalues any sort of emotional comfort or sense of community that his church/faith outwardly strives for when he uses it as a crutch or quick fix like this. And that's largely one of the warning sirens I'm seeing from him on a constant basis - his religion is a blanket to hide under when he feels threatened.

He uses his religion as a baited snare to attract young girls to take advantage of. He's been a predator for decades, and it's tragic that he's continued to create victims for so many years.

https://twitter.com/MichellMcC73/status/1094729436879048704
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
ryukage wrote:
Salieri wrote:
I made this account a while ago, so no, I'm not a troll. I haven't deleted any of my posts, but it seems that people don't like what I said.

Salieri

It's right next to your post.
We can read.

I wonder if that's proof enough for them? ^^

Either way, in the light of that colossal self-own, now that they've shown themselves to be dishonest in addition to being unable to read, any further attempt at addressing their bad-faith arguments seems to be a bit of waste. Better luck with your next account, eh.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 23