• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Will Brexit Affect The UK Anime Market?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Since both America and Japan are not part of the EU, it seems like a silly thing to bring up.
We have several hundred thousand readers in the UK, and a UK version of the site. We aren't here only for America. UK anime fans are understandably wondering about how this will affect their anime fandom, one of them asked the question, Justin answered.

Quote:
The only Anime distributor that the UK works with is the French company Kaze.

Umm, Anime Limited is based in the UK and has an office in Paris. They release anime in the UK (in English) and in France (in French).

As Justin pointed out, there are no Blu-ray replicators in the UK, so every UK anime company has to deal with a replicator outside of the UK.

On the manga side, there's more than one European publisher that publishes in English, for example Ponent Mon.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
On a related note, I've read sentiments that Brexit was an indicator that expert opinion was no longer being held in as high a favor as gut feeling, and comments like this do make me think of that.
It's modern anti-intellectualism, the anti-science movement is part of it. It's a major, major problem in the United States. People are bringing relativism to science & finance.
Barciad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
As a quick disclaimer, I'm a Labour Party member and supporter of Jeremy Corbyn.

This whole bloody thing has been a shambles from first till last. We all know how we got into this mess and no one has a clue how to get out of it. And to compound matters, we've just lost to Iceland.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Anime Limited and @Anime in France are affiliated.

All that's happened is that 51.9% of the voting electorate have said exit. Nothing material has changed. We're still in the EU, all trade agreements are still extant, all EU laws still apply... Yet in 72 hours, the pound has crashed, the economy has tanked, we have no effective government or opposition, and the racists are taking the opportunity to vent. HSBC has announced that jobs will leave the country, other firms have announced a recruitment freeze, contracts are being lost by small firms, Scotland wants to leave the union, some in Northern Ireland want to reunify with the republic, fearful of the resumption of The Troubles should the border be reinstated, and some Londoners (myself included) have signed a petition asking Mayor Sadiq Khan to declare London an independent city state.

And it will still be 2years plus n months before we actually leave the EU, get back control of our borders, so the Calais refugee camp can move to Dover, get rid of all the immigrants that run our NHS, clean our buildings, which they build too, oh and get 350 million a week to spend on the NHS, which won't have enough doctors or nurses, but it will have more money. so imagine how much worse the situation will get before then...

Anyone kindly fill me in on the bright side?
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Barciad wrote:
And to compound matters, we've just lost to Iceland.

And there's the bright side!
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Give it a few weeks and the markets and currency will return to normal.
How much would you be willing to bet on it?

Kikaioh wrote:
On a related note, I've read sentiments that Brexit was an indicator that expert opinion was no longer being held in as high a favor as gut feeling, and comments like this do make me think of that.
One way to counter those gut feelings is betting. Research on prediction, for example by Philip Tetlock, has shown that experts aren't good at predicting, but laypeople are even worse, which is why one can profit from making bets with them.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
It's hilarious how everyone suddenly hates democracy as soon as something they don't like gets decided.

Churchhill wrote:
it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…

Note: The quote doesn't originate with Churchhill, he was quoting someone else, but noone knows who...

The point of the quote is the democracy sucks. It's a horrible system; but every other known form of government is worse.

The core principle of democracy isn't that the people will make the right decision. It's that the people have the right to determine their future, no matter how stupid of a decision they make.

Much like any adult has the right to determine his or her future. Many of us make the worst possible decisions, but they are our decisions to make. The people of the UK just made theirs. It doesn't matter how stupid the experts say that decision was, it was the right of the people to make it.

It's depressing, isn't it?

As a meritocrat, I hate democracy. But I'd never want a meritocracy government, it would end up rife with intentional and unintentional corruption.

Last edited by Tempest on Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
HSBC has announced that jobs will leave the country,

I wouldn't be surprised if HSBC left the UK. I'd certainly vote in favor of moving the HQ if they put it to the shareholders (they won't). I'd like to see HSBC move to Singapore personally.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Barciad wrote:
.............And to compound matters, we've just lost to Iceland.
Bwahahahah! Ahem, Sorry. I'm backing Wales. Wink
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Also to consider, I use several UK online stores to order stuff occasionally, and in trade within EU there hasn't been any customs fees. Should those return, me being in Finland, it might become more affordable to start ordering manga etc from US/Japan directly, or possibly from other retailers within EU elsewhere...

There's Archonia, which is Belgian anime/manga/comics/paraphernalia online shop, so it should remain unaffected.
Barciad wrote:
And to compound matters, we've just lost to Iceland.

Brexit #2.
consignia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
It's modern anti-intellectualism, the anti-science movement is part of it. It's a major, major problem in the United States. People are bringing relativism to science & finance.

To quote Micheal Gove, one of the "master minds" of the leave campaign;

“I think people in this country have had enough of experts.”

The whole thing has me really angry. To give some background; there wasn't a huge appetite for a referendum in the country. It was really small section that was demanding any sort change, a referendum was called because threatening to tear the Conservative Party apart like it famously did in the 90s. The leadership gambled on using a referendum to destroy the faction, but underestimated the anti-immigrant feeling, mostly stoked by it's chronic under-investment outside of London.

Apologies for getting policitical, and it's probably clear were mine lie, but I think given the topic it needs be underlined how stupid the situation is. It could have been avoided if not for a few foolish mistakes.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
And it will still be 2years plus n months before we actually leave the EU, get back control of our borders, so the Calais refugee camp can move to Dover, get rid of all the immigrants that run our NHS, clean our buildings, which they build too, oh and get 350 million a week to spend on the NHS, which won't have enough doctors or nurses, but it will have more money. so imagine how much worse the situation will get before then...

Actually, Nigel Farage was on news-dicussion shows admitting that the "$350M to the NHS", which was the main Euro-fear button slogan, was, quote, "A mistake on our part, really, and it shouldn't have gone out as part of the campaign".
Obligatory Trump Equivalent = "Banning all Muslims from our shores" will now be "A set of strict guidelines we're hoping to put in place". Never believe slogans as much as the politicians do before they look at the details.

And now UK is divided over a petition to have a Second Referendum--the Outs calling the Ins "sore losers", and the Ins accusing the Outs of either stubbornly pursuing their racist rhetoric down with the ship or saying "Helllp, Mr. Wizarrrd!"--and while Democracy DOES allow you to have a second vote, it's not going to help after the bomb drops from the first one. We in the US also don't get to re-vote on bad choices for president (as the Parliamentary No-Confidence vote does), as we found out from the eight Dubya Years.
The point is, a smart democracy shouldn't have to if it knows how to do its homework, and only need one vote.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
So if I wanted to import some anime from region B because of ridiculous prices in the US *cough* Aniplex *cough*, i'm guessing now would be the time to do it? Exchange rate is low, and who knows how the anime market will look after all this is over. I wouldn't trust a knee jerk reaction of raising prices in light of the exchange rate to mean that the prices will go back down again after all this is over. Maybe it's time to snag up Madoka, Fate/Zero, and a few others from Region B.
Barciad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
On a more serious note is the question hanging over 'Article 50'. The proverbial trigger that will force the UK's voluntary removal from the EU. Now two things need to be noted here. One is the nature of the referendum itself. It has only advisory jurisdiction. It is not constitutionally binding. The second point was the timing for David Cameron's resignation.
Prior to the vote, the question was, would Cameron be pushed out if either he lost the vote or won narrowly? Instead, he second guessed everyone and jumped right away. Hence leaving the responsibility for passing the act with whoever his replacement might be.
The 1922 Committee (The Round Table of Tory Party Back Bencher's) has given 10 weeks maximum for a new leader to be found. The favourite is of course Boris Johnson, the (unofficial) leader of the Leave Campaign. Of real interest is just how muted he and his allies have been since the result was announced. The reason was simple. Neither he now those around him ever expected to win. Once the enormity of the consequences of the sank in, they all blinked.
The markets in panic, industry in panic, world leaders (save shit stirring cretins like Putin) outraged. And after all, this is not like Iraq where the blame can be put on misguided leaders. We, the people of England are to blame and us alone. The Scots (who have always been a better bunch - I know, I lived there for six years) voted in. As did the Northern Irish. It is us English (and the Welsh most bafflingly) who are the culprits.
Now whether or not Johnson gets the job, he will know from the start that this is the most poisoned of chalices. Brussels is in no mood to be merciful; it has already shown how ruthless it can be with members that step out of line. As it did with Greece last year. But of course the UK is no small, bankrupt little state in the Mediterranean. It is one the largest and most powerful economies on earth.
So what then. With the markets still in apoplexy, will new PM seek any means necessary to annul the referendum. Going cap in hand to an organisation that now holds all the cards. To do so will send English Nationalism through the roof. What that will produce, I shudder to think. Yet the alternative, enact Article 50. To pull the trigger that will signal the final end of my country.
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Pound should calm down and return quiet close to its original state before too long, there a lot of PANIC!!!! in the air and it distorting the markets.

What we all need to pay attention to is the dealings between the UK and EU when they kick off (likely in October, maybe earlier) and how there going. There a lot of factors that can effect how they could go, but Status Quo is likely the general direction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10