• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime Beach Episodes Worth Watching

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:48 am Reply with quote
This is a very interesting list although I don't think I saw the "Sailor Moon R" episode with the dinosaur. I don't know if they dubbed it or not,but they did have another "Sailor Moon" beach episode in which Serena's little brother Sammy had a crush on Amy. (Yes,I'm using the dub names from the old DIC dub.) I liked that one and it was a very cute episode.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:34 am Reply with quote
(I didn't read the whole thread)

Hopefully someone mentioned the beach episode of MAI-HIME since the article didn't. It provided quite a bit of backstory while also being a perfectly serviceable fanservice vehicle. And for SAILOR MOON, I thought the episode with the girls staying at what was strongly implied to be a ghost inn complete with its own werewolf and Frankenstein bellmen was much weirder. And they never even followed up on that.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:21 am Reply with quote
Holy cartwheeling cow. No mention of Assassination Classroom? That was recent and they even put the setting into their opening credits.

And the beach location was even justified by the story. They needed to isolate the action from the rest of the school and they needed the water to exploit Koro-sensei's weakness about water.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:44 am Reply with quote
School Rumble's beach scenes sometimes spanned multiple episodes. My favorite scene is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXFpYeAXmHk
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
In Aesthetica, the lead guy actively pursues seeing the girls in fan service moments. Heck, it's almost to the point of harassment/stalking.
Darthtabby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
Episode nine of Mai-HiME is an excellent example of a beach episode that is more than just a beach episode. It managed to combine backstory for one of the three main characters with some genuinely funny hijinks.

Got to agree that School Rumble's multi episode beach arc was hilarious (as was the show in general during the period between it finding its groove partway through season one and losing it partway through season two).

Episode Seven of Ben-to! is a pool episode rather than a beach episode, but it's also extremely funny.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Also: nobody squidding thought of Squid Girl at all? Almost every episode is a beach episode and that's part of what the story is.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
How can there be a discussion about beach episodes without Fumoffu?? Ever since I saw it referenced on Lucky Star I knew it was a must-see...

yuna49 wrote:
School Rumble's beach scenes sometimes spanned multiple episodes. My favorite scene is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXFpYeAXmHk

I'd almost forgotten about School Rumble's. Every time you think there's going to be fanservice... nope, it's just Harima. Laughing

(Although, there were also occasions when Harima WAS the fanservce, as far as I was concerned...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Another thing about the beach episodes is that, when they are OAD/OVA episodes, they can actually fit more fan service in than what they could during TV episodes (even if it was an AT-X episode).
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
The new pole is for favorite anime film series with "series" being the keyword. Do people not know what a series is? Because I'm seeing a lot of stand alone movies on the list and many people voting for those stand alone movies.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
For anime film series, I voted for Urusei Yatsura with the reasoning that "I like more than one movie in that series". Beautiful Dreamer has been my favourite anime film since I first saw it in the 1990s (although The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya movie is in striking range now), and I'm also a big fan of Mamoru Oshii's other Urusei Yatsura movie, Only You, even if it's a lot more straightforward a comedy than the contemplative and surreal Beautiful Dreamer. I also have films 3 and 5 on DVD, and I have 6 on Laserdisc (although it was really a 10th anniversary TV movie with different designs than the rest of the series). I never got around to owning or even seeing 4, which I understand is the most divisive Urusei Yatsura film.

Even though The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is easily my favourite anime film made in the 21st century so far, until somebody makes a second film, I wouldn't consider voting for it *as a film series*.

-----------

Favourite beach episode: recently, it's been Non Non Biyori episode 5, if just because it's really the first time we've seen the characters outside their familiar environment where they already know pretty much everybody. The Kamichu beach episode also deserves a mention for being double-nostalgic (it's a series made in 2005 but set in 1983/84 and then, in this episode, Yurie uses her god powers to make the beach like a time warp into 1960s Japan for her parents).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SillyPerson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
In the list of beach episodes, #1, Another, doesn't have a hyperlink to the page about that anime show. So to find that page I have to go in the search bar. Boo! Here is the link you left out to Another: anime#13258

For film series, a lot of those in the list are not SERIES, they are just one film, and I haven't seen some of them (including The Garden of Sinners which is at the top of the poll). So to me I was picking between the Bleach movies, the old Evangelion movies, the new Evangelion movies, the Fullmetal Alchemist movies, the InuYasha movies, the Puella Magi Madoka Magica movies, the Tenchi Muyo! movies, and the Urusei Yatsura movies, since those are the movie SERIES I've seen (yes I've seen every single one of the movies in those series).

Well I ended up voting for the Bleach movies. I just really liked 'em all, and none of them were derivative rehashes of stuff that happened in the show (like half of the Evangelion movies, or the first 2 Puella Magi Madoka Magica movies), they were all original stories and done quite well (I enjoyed them better than the likewise original Fullmetal Alchemist, InuYasha, Tenchi Muyo!, and Urusei Yatsura movies). Probably the best anime movie series IS The Garden of Sinners but I've never seen it or even heard of it prior to this poll so I didn't vote for it. I'm definitely going to watch it now.

Anyway, whoever wrote this story should fix it so the #1 Another listing actually LINKS to the page about that show: anime#13258
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
Wait, there are multiple beach episodes in School Rumble? I remember the beach episode with Harima's, yeah, and the pool episode that sets it all up and the hot spring episode that references it... with, you know, again; Poor Eri, probably scarred/entranced for life... and then the seasons turn to fall and winter... and filler.

Only rule of School Rumble; We don't talk about the filler.

They have multiple pool episodes but the main cast can't swim.. wait, is that a spoiler? Anyway, there's not a lot of swimming involved in any of them. Except for Mikoto's four kilometers!

And yes, My Hime had a great beach episode; A perfect tone reset just before everything got depressing again. It's hard to think of any series that had more tonal shifts than that one.

May as well mention it for how meta it is; Haganai's beach episode. Yes, they all stand there and shout "It's the sea! because they have to? Wardrobe malfunctions and skimpy bathing suits in the first half, thanks Sena, and then everyone gets bored and moved the outing indoors because private beaches are kind of dull if you don't like being outdoors. Or like each other. Or yourself.

Favorite movie series? You know, I've seen 5 of 6 Urusei Yatsura and the one that I haven't seen? Beautiful Dreamer.

So Patlabor.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
Another's beach episode was definitely a good one. It seemed like they were basically saying, "This is a horror show. Did you really expect frolicking in the sun not to go badly?"
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Why in the world is Princess Mononoke on the list? It's not a film series. It's a film, granted an AMAZING film but....it is not part of a series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5