• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Flowers For Baudelaire

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, even after a year has passed people are still having extreme reactions to Flowers of Evil. I don't think there has ever been an anime that has polarized anime fandom to this extent. It would be nice if both sides didn't take such an exclusionary position.

@errinundra Maybe my memory serving me badly, but didn't you have a mixed reaction to FoE? Small group of people discussed it on forums so I remembered your comment because it was surprising to see someone else comment on it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
^Of course it bombed. People don't like having their eye poked with a sharp stick. Even if it's warranted.

"How dare you otaku dislike this ugly show!" You know, people don't like being talked down to and ridiculed for what they choose to like, which is maybe why otaku just avoided it and stuck with the manga instead. Even if I get that it's supposed to be ugly on purpose and that's one of the main points of the show, that still doesn't suddenly turn it around to visually appealing for me.

I don't even get otaku-blaming for when shows like these fail. Out of the 126 million Japanese residents, 408 decided the show was worth purchasing.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Wow, even after a year has passed people are still having extreme reactions to Flowers of Evil. I don't think there has ever been an anime that has polarized anime fandom to this extent. It would be nice if both sides didn't take such an exclusionary position.

@errinundra Maybe my memory serving me badly, but didn't you have a mixed reaction to FoE? Small group of people discussed it on forums so I remembered your comment because it was surprising to see someone else comment on it.

Reading the interviews with the Author and Director they wanted the show to have a lasting impression which they achieved.

I was turned off by the animation at first,but I gave it and saw why they used it; your able to capture those subtle movements and facial expressions you just can't get with traditional animation. I thought it also made the classroom scene and dream scene way more effective than the manga counterpart.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
@ danilo07

I did and I do. The post you are referring to is probably this one, especially given that you posted directly after me.

I wrote:
Well, I loved the rotoscoping and the perversely enthralling faces of all the characters. I appreciated their realistic body shapes and their twitchy movements, even when they were apparently still. I thought the artwork was marvellous, especially the decaying town and, where it appeared, the rampant vegetation - reflecting, of course, the barely suppressed ripeness of Kasuga and Seiki. I was entranced by its slow pace: menacing and suggestive of sexual repression. I particularly welcomed the refreshing way that a high school anime was presented and how the director thumbed his nose at the narrow creative parameters expected by some of the anime audience. The best things, however, were the amazing OP & ED songs.

Against all that, the inconclusive ending and three pathologically silly main characters brought the series down. And, while I liked the the mood created by the slow pace I found the development of the story inconsequential, although there were some very powerful moments. Like several others here I find myself ambilvalent about it as a package.

Rating: good.

Elsewhere,

I wrote:
...I think the anger of the show's detractors comes from panic. And not simply because of its depiction of adolescent sexual hysteria. Flowers of Evil is a pre-meditated challenge to our expectations of anime styles, and thus becomes an analogy for anime fandom itself, sort of in the same way The Sky Crawlers did a few years back. (Like FoE, for all its strange beauty, The Sky Crawlers also tanked.) The series IS Nakamura; your average anime with its highly constrained, typical stylistic elements IS the inward-looking town in which she lives. To a fan who wants their anime expectations affirmed, this series is a personal attack on them and their conservative anime values. Being based upon a manga that, visually, adheres to those values is galling for some. But that's the point.

And,

I wrote:
The anime is a deliberate poke in the eye of anime fandom. Changing the visual style of the original manga IS the point. If it were an original work it would entirely lose its ideological subtext. Your stance on the matter is precisely what director Nagahama and mangaka Oshimi have in their rhetorical gunsights. Part of the strength of Flowers of Evil is that the story and setting themselves are metaphors for the anime fan community and is presumably why Nagahama chose it. And, that mangaka Oshimi provides his own end-of-episode provocations indicates that not only does he approve of the adaptation and its rhetorical tone but it also suggests that he created the manga under stylistic constraints that he resents.

So I have been consistent. I'm probably guilty of soapboxing, rather than inconsistency. In this current thread, what galls me are the attacks on the visual style, which is what I'm addressing. I think the visual approach is brilliant.

Last edited by Errinundra on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
@ errinundra - that's an interesting take, but I don't find it terribly persuasive myself. I am also very familiar with your "virtually all anime is garbage these days" view so I'm a little suspicious that your interpretation dovetails so nicely with your basic outlook. The Sky Crawlers anti-anime conformity angle seems stronger than in FoE but even there I'm not entirely convinced that Oshii was going for that (I've never read the novel so I have no idea how much the film differs from it).

I ended up rating FoE "good" - a reflection of the fact that there was much I liked about it and stuff I didn't. I loved the rotoscoping - a perfect aesthetic choice for the material. I do sympathize with those who read the manga first and then were disappointed the same character designs were not kept. Wasn't an issue for me because I have never read the manga.

It's funny - anime can be achingly derivative a lot of the time, but it is also one of the few entertainment formats that is willing to take huge risks occasionally - can you imagine any other entertainment format having the balls to do an "Endless Eight"? Unthinkable. I'm sure the FoE anime braintrust knew that the manga fanbase and other otaku was going to lose its mind over the adaptation, but they went for the gusto. Kudos.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
...I am also very familiar with your "virtually all anime is garbage these days" view...

Really? I feel so misrepresented here.

It should read, "virtually all anime is garbage since forever". Cool

I'm always searching for that 5% of anime that is WOW!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't know I have hard time seeing FoE as of commentary on current state of anime, because the events and characters in anime resemble that of my own life. I do know for certain that a lot of material from anime/manga was based off Oshimi's own experiences as a teenager.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I'd read the FoE manga before the anime came out, and I absolutely loved the anime. I think the art style suited the grimy mood of the series and I found the tension even more excruciating in anime form than reading it. I think that is because I am quite a fast reader, whereas in the anime, I am forced to go at the director's pace. They can make just a few pages of manga stretch out over as long as they like. Try as I might, I can't watch a minute of anime any quicker than in a minute, whereas I can read a chapter of manga as quickly or slowly as I desire.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Blood- wrote:
...I am also very familiar with your "virtually all anime is garbage these days" view...

Really? I feel so misrepresented here.

It should read, "virtually all anime is garbage since forever". Cool

Laughing I stand corrected. But 'fess up, there is a little bit of the "anime was better back in the day" quality to you, is there not?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Laughing I stand corrected. But 'fess up, there is a little bit of the "anime was better back in the day" quality to you, is there not?

I'm gonna be late for work if I keep posting so I'll respond to this later in the day.

There's a threat.

And, as if anyone is actually interested. Confused
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I still haven't seen Flowers of Evil myself, but the reactions that people had to that show... oh boy. Some were pretty extreme to say the least (and still are judging by some of the comments in this thread). You either loved it or hated it. There didn't appear to be any type of middle ground.

But I do love Majestic Prince. It does take it's sweet time at the beginning, but if you stick with it, the characters start growing on you and I think that it tells a pretty good story as well. It really saddens me that it didn't get more love when it was airing, because it was one of my favourites last year.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:

I am. We Old(fan)Boys gotta stick together. Wink
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote

I am too. Your analysis of FoE was (flower) eye-opening. Anime has forever seen brilliant and terrible shows and the perversity of the fandom seems unmatched. BTW, I'm not an extremist.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
ShatteredWorld wrote:
Flowers of Evil is one of my favorite shows and, with all honesty, the classroom scene was, to me, one of the best displays of animation that I've seen in my years of watching anything animated. No matter how many times I rewatch the series, that scene will always blow me away.
Completely agreed. I really don't understand why people call this show ugly, as it's easily one of the most fluidly animated and carefully crafted anime I've seen in all my years as a viewer.

Hilarious. You may think that the art is striking and the style chosen brings out the most of the source material, and that is perfectly fine.

However, when it comes to animation, as in, as Webster puts it:
Quote:
: " a way of making a movie by using a series of drawings, computer graphics, or photographs of objects (such as puppets or models) that are slightly different from one another and that when viewed quickly one after another create the appearance of movement

I would have to greatly disagree with you. There is no illusion of movement presented by Aku no Hana. It is clunky and character features phase out completely mid scene. The style chosen and/or low budget resulted in one of the worst pieces of animation that I've seen in the past 5 years.

Also, I want to make clear that I am not saying this because Aku no Hana dared to be 'different' from the modern-day anime aesthetic. One of my favorite current directors right now is Masaaki Yuasa, and if you've seen any of his work then you know that he completely eschews the modern-day anime aesthetic.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Also with all due respect to bamboo, is she not going against the rules of shelf life. She says she would recommend this, but you recommend a show that you think a casual viewer will like. Flowers had it been done in regular anime style like the manga was already a limited audience as its a dark seninen with sexual overtones. With this rotoscope the audience shrinks even more. So I don't see how this can be recommended in good faith.

I disagree with the implication that casual viewers wouldn't like this. I think people who like experimental animation techniques and thought-provoking character dramas will like this. Some people might be fascinated by the rotoscoping, just because it's different.

You're assuming that all casual viewers like the same things, when I don't think that's the case. If casual viewer means, "someone who watches anime, but isn't an anime fan," then they could have a very wide array of tastes-- maybe they prefer Owen Wilson comedies, or exclusively watch 80s sci-fi flicks, or maybe they have The Master on repeat. Who knows?

I'm finding the anger in this thread to be a little strange. I understand being defensive when someone dislikes a show that you like, but anger towards those who like something that you don't is a little baffling. If you don't like a show, you are certainly entitled to that opinion, but why hold it against people who do?

I know that my opinions will never be 100% agreed upon. That is life as a reviewer, and life as anyone who has opinions.

I mentioned that FoE wasn't pretty, that the aesthetic was unconventional, and that the series makes some viewers uncomfortable. So if you don't like shows like that, then you won't like FoE. I don't think I'm misleading anyone by expressing my love for a series, all while pointing out the aspects that people might dislike.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
And Bamboo, WTF Brina Palenica for Nakamura-san?? Since you asked, try Terry Doty or Luci Christian (if you must) or better yet, some unknown with talent that sounds like Nakamura-san.

Again, the anger in this thread is baffling. There's a whole list of actresses who I think would make a great Nakamura. I think Monica Rial would be great. I happen to like the timber of Palencia's voice, and I think it would be cool to see her in a role that she's not normally cast as. But you know, I'm not a casting director, and frankly, neither are you. I listed who I think would be a fascinating choice, and you listed your selections. There is no need for anger.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6