• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
So, essentially this show just takes all of the worst, zaniest, and nonsensical aspects of FLCL and adds a bunch of intense potty humor to it? Yea, probably not for me.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Panty and Stocking is definitely a hit or miss. You have to be able to appreciate what it's trying to do and be into its kind of humor. Now, I don't like most adult comedy shows on television in America (I can't stand watching even Simpsons or Family Guy, even if I do appreciate some of their social commentaries, because I just don't like the not-very-smart main characters who are simply reset every episode for the sake of the premise), but I found PSG to be a great, consistent idea. And I thought the presentation was great as well.

I hate potty humor. I cringe at sex jokes. And I prefer, when I can, to watch something intelligent rather than just fun (FLCL wasn't my cup of tea, either). Yet, since I already expected PSG to be this kind of thing, I just relaxed and was able to enjoy it for what it was. And the crazy animation definitely helped. The superflat-ish art style in episode 5, in addition to the clever social commentary it had, made that my favorite episode, but the rest of it was great as well. It felt like an experiment meant to go wrong, made only because it was fun to do, and that's probably why I liked it so much.

So yeah. There's entertainment you analyze, and entertainment you enjoy. This is, for better or for worse, definitely the latter.
sypherman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
As a Large black man myself, I thought Chris Sabat did a pretty spot on job with Garterbelt.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Here is the final scene so you can watch it for yourself (if you want to):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWehq1DTWiE

spoiler[was the last seconds of the show really that meme? there is a reason I avoid gainmax and this is proof of why LOL. I disliked panty so I enjoyed seeing her get chopped to bits.]
Megadedhed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much if you loved Dead Leaves, you will love this. Personally this is easily one of my favorite comedy anime, up there with Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei for having the record of how much I've laughed. I can completely understand how its not for everyone, but I've re-watched it about seven or eight times so far and I still enjoy it each time I see it.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
sypherman wrote:
As a Large black man myself, I thought Chris Sabat did a pretty spot on job with Garterbelt.

Agreed. Like Ms. Marchi and Ms. Rial as the title characters as well.
aizensama666

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
The Gorillaz, t.A.T.u., Oasis and pretty much every other band I love was referenced in that music video episode. The show gained a thousand bro points from me after that and I kept watching right til the end.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
spoiler[was the last seconds of the show really that meme? there is a reason I avoid gainmax and this is proof of why LOL. I disliked panty so I enjoyed seeing her get chopped to bits.]

spoiler[No, someone stuck that meme - the music and troll face - in themselves. Everything before that was legit.]
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
^
Here is the final scene so you watch it for yourself (if you want to):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWehq1DTWiE

Dammit ganiax i'm still not over them ruining Christmas 2010

Frankly, I would have been disappointed if they didn't troll us in some way with the finale of the show.

gatotsu911 wrote:
... (Also: they REALLY couldn't have found a real black guy to voice Garterbelt? I mean, REALLY??)

I still get upset every time they cast a non-Japanese actor for a Japanese character in anime Razz
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I love this show for how sex-positive the leads are and that they literally do whatever the hell they want. Its pretty empowering. Some episodes were hit and miss but overall it's one of my top Gainax shows. And I don't even like crude humour that much (I despise Family Guy).
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
First time I'm ever on Carl's side for one of his demeaning reviews. Having a review spew as much disgust as I have for this show feels amazing. I am now totally okay with all of his other ones because I can now understand the joy it brings to the right people.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
woooooooooooooooow this review is [expletive] awful
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Buzzkill much?
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
The comedy was hit and miss but overall the show was hilarious. At least if you're fluent in Japanese... reading comedy off a subtitle is the equivalent of listening to a funny anecdote from someone who heard a funny anecdote.
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
That's really not correct. Or at least it hasn't been for anyone I've ever talked to. Physical comedy, character-based comedy, dramatic irony, etc. - basically anything that doesn't depend on complex or specific wordplay - come across to most people equally as well. And then there's all the glorious Engrish in Panty and Stocking, which I can only imagine would be funnier with a working knowledge of English.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5