• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Licentious Licensing

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maigraith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:

Why do they need to? (Not trying to sound argumentative, I'm genuinely curious as to why you say that.) DVD sales are still where most of the R1 money is being made, so it's not like it'd be worse for the industry.

So, people can actually buy shows they truly like and want to watch again at some point (I have no problem for the fans who buy a lot because they do like a lot though)? These days, companies are trying to branch out so people don't have to watch everything on their computer. Right now, between CR and Hulu+, there is a lot of stuff you can watch on your TV via a no more than $100 box (dunno what Funi has on the market, but that adds a ton of shows).

What's the point of blind-buying these days when fans have easy, legal access to watch shows before buying?

...just who is blind-buying so much that it's an issue? Other than people who are hoarders of anime. Otherwise, most people probably either watch some or all of the stream, and then buy if they want to rewatch in the future(since legal online sources are not permanent). Or did I miss some argument?
notazaku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I sometimes wonder how Western anime fans would deal having to live in Japan, where everything is 400-450 dollars per series.

They'd probably adjust and buy less anime. It'd be painful to pay $400 for one 1 cour series when they used get 7-8 or more R1 releases for the same amount of money. But people adjust and make the hard choices.

Now for the cheeky answer. They could buy R1 releases from Amazon Japan.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I'm actually subscribed to Funimation's online service, and I use an HDMI cable to connect to the TV. I HATE, absolutely DESPISE watching shows on the computer.

Within a couple of weeks, someone wouldn't even have to resort to that, if they were willing to spend at least $60 on a Roku box.

I remember when Netflix first started streaming, one of the few titles they had was Martian Successor Nadesico: Prince of Darkness. I sat at my computer and watched it, but quickly concluded that in the near future I was going to need an HDTV and a computer to hook up to it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why watching "on the computer" is always such a major hassle for people. Do you mean small laptop screens, or are your monitors just tiny? I have a big TV that I hook up to, but I also use a 23 inch screen most of the time, and that's no hassle at all, since it's always set up for dual monitor work. Surely TVs of that size or even somewhat bigger can still fit in your bedroom and be quite comfortable. Unless you have an old CRT, every single HDTV is a monitor-in-waiting. You just need the right cables unless your computer doesn't have HDMI out. I guess some people need fancy specific GUIs from specialized boxes, but that just feels like a limitation to me, and lazy.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Why watch on a 17-22-inch computer screen when you can watch on a 64-inch HD screen?
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Steve wrote:
Motoko Shinkai

Are you suggesting that Makoto Shinkai was the puppet master and Ghost in the Shell is a documentary?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Why watch on a 17-22-inch computer screen when you can watch on a 64-inch HD screen?

Some find it far more convenient to watch things on the computer.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I sometimes wonder how Western anime fans would deal having to live in Japan, where everything is 400-450 dollars per series.

As someone living in my region, even the 'cheap' legal anime is very expensive. Part of my refusal to buy pirate products is because (allegedly) the same people who create the pirate products are also involved in other crimes of similar nature but worse moral consequence (eg. human trafficking). 

I suppose my answer isn't much different from the Japanese. Most people don't but the really expensive releases because the releases are meant to appeal to hardcore fans and collectors. Other people would just watch it on TV, or they'd check out pirate streams and some more hardcore ones would reverse-import. 

As seen by the way Another gained a lot of popularity but didn't have very impressive disc sales, there is a certain subset of the Japanese anime fandom that aren't disc buyers. 

Ultimately the high price for Japanese releases is targeted at a very specific kind of fan.

Chagen46 wrote:

If you watch a horror film on the HD screen compared to if you watch it on the smaller screen the ghost is bigger. I'm scared. 

Last edited by dandelion_rose on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
As far as I am aware, no company has been able to make streaming as profitable an endeavour as releasing home video media (DVDs & Blu-Rays). That's why we haven't seen licensees focus on streaming, because the money just ain't there. They'll use Crunchyroll to tell them if a show was popular or not and therefore help their decision-making for the home video release. But they don't expect much in the way of profits from streaming in its own right.

So, ergo, that's why we still see such a huge emphasis on physical media rather than streaming; smart companies follow the money and there isn't much money to be found in streaming.

You're right on this. And I'm so tired of hearing the "physical media is dead", because it's not. If it was, I wouldn't be seeing shelves of it everywhere I go.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

You can do both? An 80 inch HDTV will still have the same inputs as a 19 inch one. The only major difference is that you'll likely need a laptop to bring to the larger TV, instead of having it as a permanent setup on your desk. If that's the case, is that all your laptop does, unlike those computer-to-TV devices? No. Just sit it down and plug it into the TV when you want to.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
That's an interesting point, because the reason anime episodes are only 25 minutes long is fans were encouraged to set their videos to tape shows broadcast at about midnight then marathon the entire series later. I guess you can do that with a DVD recorder, but I'm guessing a hard drive has limited space to do that with multiple series at once.

I don't know about being encouraged to marathon an entire series, but everyone here definitely DVRs their shows. Though there ARE a lot of people who watch their favorite series (which are often aired late at night) in real-time, I think the majority will just record it to watch at a more convenient time later. I don't think disk space is too much of an issue. My friend has TONS of stuff recorded on his DVR. Not sure how many gigs it has but in any case there was a lot of stuff recorded. Most people who marathon are probably renting and need to finish it fast or something. ^^;

Unfortunately for me I don't have a DVR because I live in a pre-furnished apartment, so I rely mostly on "other" methods. CrunchyRoll isn't available to be viewed in Japan so thank you, HorribleSubs! =D

Chagen46 wrote:

When you don't have a 64" TV? =( My PC monitor is larger than my TV. XDDD Plus I'm always in front of my PC when I'm at home anyway so PC it is for me!

I, too, wish we would get some kind of news regarding Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei from Media Blasters. I would love to own the series and did pre-order it at RightStuf, only to have it canceled (not by me but by RS) because details of the release were uncertain.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The only major difference is that you'll likely need a laptop to bring to the larger TV...

Or, the more simplest solution is to leave it at the TV. I haven't moved my laptop from its position since I bought it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
So the entire Answerman column for today is "You're a bad anime fan regardless of what you do."

And people wonder why Anime is in dire straights.

Yes, this is true and also "physical medium is on its last legs even though all questions are regarding release of said physical media, past present and future." It's a confusing time to be an anime fan, I suppose.

Quote:

That being said, a lot of R1 fans ARE still in the mindset that the "real" way of watching a show is on disc, which is insane.

This is absolutely true; not the "insane" comment, the "the 'real' way of watching a show" part. Why? I have a super, ultra fast internet connection which I pay a mint and a half for as well as having a fansub or two on my PC but I still can't frame advance/reverse, audio switch, scene select, marathon or just simply watch with ease, precision and unlimited quality.

On one hand, a BD is a mini harddrive so there's no probable difference between downloading a show or watching a DVD. On the other hand, there's no limitations on it either artificial enforced or naturally occuring. Honestly, DVDs will be dead once DVD companies, both Japanese and American, willingly give them up. Do you see the problem there?
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

I don't know about being encouraged to marathon an entire series, but everyone here definitely DVRs their shows. Though there ARE a lot of people who watch their favorite series (which are often aired late at night) in real-time, I think the majority will just record it to watch at a more convenient time later. I don't think disk space is too much of an issue. My friend has TONS of stuff recorded on his DVR. Not sure how many gigs it has but in any case there was a lot of stuff recorded. Most people who marathon are probably renting and need to finish it fast or something. ^^;.

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but do people who record their shows counted in the tv ratings?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but do people who record their shows counted in the tv ratings?

Ratings are irrelevant for late-night anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11