• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: Anime's 7 Most Awkward Proposals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
As for filler, my first two votes go out to Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (which added scenes to build character and atmosphere that weren't in the original book) and the second half of the original FMA anime. I also quite liked the anime-exclusive finale of Blue Exorcist.

A Gecko Ending is not the same thing as filler. I can't say about Blue Exorcist, but the second half of the first FMA is nearly all vital plot episodes (it's the first half that has dead-ends, like the Psyren episode). It's just a different plot from the manga. But that is not filler.
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Of course, spoiler[Reinhard's first proposal to Hilda via her father after their one night stand] was also pretty high up there on the awkwardness factor.

That should've been first place on the list. It was hilariously awkward and at the same time adorable, especially considering who the players were. Very Happy

And while we're at LoGH, there's young Mittermeier's proposal to Evangeline. Where he bought roses (yellow roses!) and cake, but not a ring. Made even more cute/awkward in the manga where he tries to hug and kiss her but the huge bouquet of (yellow!!) roses is in the way.... Very Happy
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
if not for Sun's mum, the whole thing would be doomed
Him pulling off Shark Suplexing says otherwise.
TronBonne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Yessssss Wolfram x Yuri making #1 makes me so happy. Regardless of Yuri being straight or not, the interaction between the two boys is just too funny. And the way that whole proposal scene played out.....! xD
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
or getting involved with a love contest involving ass hats, and a giant robot had anything to do with trying to get revenge on his father.

Is that R2? I still haven't seen the second season, and I get conflicted reports on whether it's great, decent, or awful. I guess it was divisive...?

Don't watch it, it got the nickname Code Trainwreck for a reason. I could only watch it on Adult Swim's website because I could only take a small portion of it at a time.
Mirri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
Tis a crime that Hunter X Hunter's first series is not in that list. it has only one filler arc that I know of, however, It develops some of the side characters, provides an interesting situation and fits absolutely seamlessly into the story.

Absolute agree. The first Hunter x Hunter is a masterpiece in terms of filler.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
As for filler, my first two votes go out to Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (which added scenes to build character and atmosphere that weren't in the original book) and the second half of the original FMA anime. I also quite liked the anime-exclusive finale of Blue Exorcist.

A Gecko Ending is not the same thing as filler. I can't say about Blue Exorcist, but the second half of the first FMA is nearly all vital plot episodes (it's the first half that has dead-ends, like the Psyren episode). It's just a different plot from the manga. But that is not filler.

I read the first Moribito novel, and the anime seemed to end the same way, even though it took a few non-canon detours to get there.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
On the poll, I voted for DBZ, since the fillers were more bearable than the ones that I've seen from Naruto and Bleach.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

I read the first Moribito novel, and the anime seemed to end the same way, even though it took a few non-canon detours to get there.

Right, which is why I was talking about FMA. *le sigh* Did I have to bold the part I was obviously referring to?

Edit: fixing some formatting errors.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about that.

I thought you were responding to the other poster in the order that person had framed his/her post: Moribito, Blue Exorcist, then FMA. So.... I thought your first response was about Moribito. Sorry.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people in this thread have a misguided grasp of spoiler tags. How the heck are people supposed to know what spoilers are being avoided if you're not giving a show title first. Putting the show title under the black bars helps nobody.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Best filler? EEEEEXCAAAAAAAAALIBUUUUUUUUUUURRR~

Soul Eater. Just... Soul Eater.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:34 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Sorry about that.

I thought you were responding to the other poster in the order that person had framed his/her post: Moribito, Blue Exorcist, then FMA. So.... I thought your first response was about Moribito. Sorry.

Nah, it's cool. I had to go back and edit one of my earlier posts because I didn't read someone's post closely enough. It happens to all of us.

But yeah, I get irked when people mistake "the story went off in another direction" with "filler."

And obviously filler is somewhat in the eye of the beholder. If an episode doesn't advance the plot but nonetheless has very strong character-establishment, is it really filler? If it provides a thankful lighthearted reprieve after a series of agonizingly intense episodes, is it still filler? Or are these both filler, only "good" filler? And if your series is almost entirely episodic with maybe just a few episodes in an overarching storyline (see: Cowboy Bebop) how do you determine what's filler and what's not?

I still vote, hands down, for the first season of GitS:SAC. There was an overarching plot of the season that took up quite a few episodes, but the non-plot ones were dang good too. That said, I'd forgotten about some of the arcs in Moribito, and yeah, Kamiyama Kenji writes himself some good filler.
timesteel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
how did To love-ru not make this list
naninanino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
We need a "like" feature on ANN. Preferably one I can hit a hundred times. This proposal, from Legend of the Galactic Heroes, is simultaneously THE most awkward proposal EVER, and yet also one of the sweetest and most true-to-character.

Of course, spoiler[Reinhard's first proposal to Hilda via her father after their one night stand] was also pretty high up there on the awkwardness factor.

Heh, I thought of LoGH immediately too. You kind of wouldn't expect that show to have a "cute" side to it too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4