• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Castlevania: Nocturne Series Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrPuzzles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
I mean most of the people complaining about the show are the chodes complaining about it being woke.

Those sources your mentioning, its pretty much positive for the most part. The show is largely well received by the majority of the audiences. Some games purists making a stink about obsessive rigidity to the source material is not a majority.

I mean "ugly mess" seriously? No one thinks that. The show visually is objectively gorgeous, very little about the animation or art is ugly.

You really shouldn't take anything he says seriously. He never intended to discuss this in good faith. He never discusses anything in good faith. Just take a gander at his post history. He's literally just running around all over the site attacking everyone he even slightly disagrees with on anything, then tries to play a reverse Uno card. Making claims without remotely backing them up, dismissing the statements of others (which are backed-up) as lacking foundation, and when that fails, just straight insulting them.

The dude is a run-of-the-mill shitposter. He's basic.
light turner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:10 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
I wasn’t referring to the Nocturne series. Read it again.

I assume you were referring to the reviewer? I did find the snide remarks towards the games and dismissal of them a bit tiring, and the pre-emptive comments on how fans of the game who complain about the changes as well. In general I don't get why Netflixvania fans always feel the need to trash the games in their praise of the show. I get if people never played the games before which I know a lot of fans of the show haven't given their age, but it always comes off as disrespectful. Or maybe their only exposure is through internet memes and clips like the cheesy voice-acting in the original English version of SOTN that gets passed around from time to time. I actually saw people complaining that Richter doesn't say "die monster" in the show, even though that old version has been outdated since Dracula X Chronicles.. I guess if that's what the series is mostly known for these days then it can't be helped. The PC Engine/TurboGrafix 16 was kind of obscure in America.. I'm just happy Richter's was given justice in Smash Bros Ultimate.
Márcio Voltz Jardim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:32 am Reply with quote
Boring and tedious, unbearable characters. Only the animation and soundtrack save the show.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:15 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
I'm just happy Richter's was given justice in Smash Bros Ultimate.

The character was also done justice in the show too, don't worry about it.

First exposure to him and Richter is a fine protagonist in the show.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:15 am Reply with quote
light turner wrote:
I assume you were referring to the reviewer? I did find the snide remarks towards the games and dismissal of them a bit tiring, and the pre-emptive comments on how fans of the game who complain about the changes as well. In general I don't get why Netflixvania fans always feel the need to trash the games in their praise of the show. I get if people never played the games before which I know a lot of fans of the show haven't given their age, but it always comes off as disrespectful.

I'm not sure who you think you"re referring to, but I have played and beaten every mainline 2D Catlevania (save for the Gameboy games), and I've one-hundred percented Symhpony of the Night, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria/Dawn of Sorrow, and Portrait of Ruin multiple times. I'm currently in the middle of my 2nd Order of Ecclesia run, and I went back to try and finally 100% Dracula X Chronicles specifically because of how much I liked Nocturne.

I love the games, and I probably know the franchise better than a lot of the people who complain about the Netflix shows' "loyalty". (I can also make silly jokes about them without worrying whether or not my Gamer Cred Certificate will burst into flames, because I am adult with a functioning sense of humor)
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I have a question that I have not seen anybody ask:

Does the show whitewash the french revolution?

Or it does a proper job depicting how it began as a freedom movement that devolved in a glorified genocide that led to the rise of a melomaniac maniac to power?

Because I went thru years of indoctrination as kid during school and I can't stand its romanization.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I agree about the tendency to romanticize the French Revolution, and the show doesn't really do much to dispel those notions (its possible that Maria's very intense pro-Revolution ideologies will be contrasted to the reality of post-Revolution France, but given how far into vampiric alternate-history the season is going into, I doubt it).
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Does the show whitewash the french revolution?

Or it does a proper job depicting how it began as a freedom movement that devolved in a glorified genocide that led to the rise of a melomaniac maniac to power?

I guess you could say it very lightly romanticizes it, but mostly I think it's just not thoughtful enough to really get into the details of the revolution or politics at all. It's more like a light layer of atmosphere for the setting than anything.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:27 pm Reply with quote
This, yes. It's more of a thematic backdrop than a major foundation of the plot itself.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Ok, thanks.
MrPuzzles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:33 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
I've one-hundred percented Symhpony of the Night, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria/Dawn of Sorrow, and Portrait of Ruin multiple times.

I love the shows as well, but in all honesty, this is what I'm really waiting for. If Nocturne is gonna end with Symphony, I have absolutely no doubt that the next series will be adapting Aria and Dawn.

Which...kind of bums me out all the same, because Portrait and Order of Ecclesia are ripe. And call me a hipster...but I'd also like to see some form of Legacy of Darkness adapted as well. Cornell has secretly always been one of my favorite protagonists.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I've also been chomping at the bit for a Dawn/Aria adaptation, mostly because the show could *really* do a lot with the modern-day setting that the games never really capitalized on. Either that, or give us an incredibly moody Order of Ecclesia miniseries. I'd kill to see Shanoa brought to life in the Netflix Universe's style.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:56 am Reply with quote
Hal14 wrote:
Yep. Someone hated those games so much they created a well produced, heavily marketed adaptation that has been critically well received. That dastardly fiend.
Oh, so like an animated equivalent of Springtime for Hitler from The Producers.
That Little Rapscallion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:07 pm Reply with quote
GoatBoss9 wrote:
The way that this season framed slavery, for example, seems out of step with the reality of what was actually going on in that era, the truth being that slavery was practiced by many cultures across many different races and countries for many centuries, including the French Revolution era. It wasn't something that was originated by or practiced by just "white people"...yet this show frames it (and to a greater extent colonialism) as such, which is lazy and feels like a variation of what conservatives do to "own the libs", except in reverse. To me it was a missed opportunity at legitimate nuance, though probably not an intentional one by the writers.

I think that's just a result of people not really knowing much about these topics, or only knowing a very basic boilerplate version of them from what they heard on social media and those people just so happen to be in charge of writing a TV show this time around. People misrepresent the French Revolution all the time on social media where they post pictures of guillotines every time some well-off person says something they mildly disagree with. I've come to accept people don't know what they're talking about half the time, but seeing Maria shouting "For Liberty!" at the people responsible for murdering 17,000+ people people, most of which were commoners and disenfranchised people? Oof, that was like a punch in the gut. I never expected Netflix to use the mahou shoujo version of Maria in the first place but I'm still going to call them cowards for not doing so anyway because I know the real Maria would never cheer something so barbaric on like that Laughing

It probably just shows Castlevania is probably one of the last IPs writers should be using to try to lecture people on things like slavery or historical events. . It's a game series about vampires with and skeletons that carry plates of curry. Although at this point the show doesn't even seem to be trying to follow the games anymore with how many original characters and stories they're focusing on. As a Castlevania fan the show is unrecognizable, but if you view it on it's own then it has some nice action cuts and I'll give it props for being a non-comedy adult animated show in an era where it's still very rare to see those out of America. The writing and dialog is still cringe though. I guess even shows set in historic periods set hundreds of years in the past they still talk like modern teenagers who like Joss Whedon shows a bit too much and swearing. I wish they called the show something else like "Annette the Revolutionist" or something
Vs7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:44 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
I've also been chomping at the bit for a Dawn/Aria adaptation, mostly because the show could *really* do a lot with the modern-day setting that the games never really capitalized on. Either that, or give us an incredibly moody Order of Ecclesia miniseries. I'd kill to see Shanoa brought to life in the Netflix Universe's style.

Considering how Part 1 ended, how are they even going to manage Aria/Dawn without completely butchering everything? Soma's arc worked because of Dracula dying and resurrecting for so many times. spoiler[Even if they offscreen him and Lisa, it still won't be the same]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5