• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Aims to Eventually Produce Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote
Well hopefully season2 of Sidonia will have shown them what not to do when they come to produce their own stuff.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:46 am Reply with quote
The original Bojack Horseman (it recreates Akira and the original ending to EVA in season 1) is a quality act so they can do toons but i will believe that they will produce truly original anime when i see one as i can´t see the profitability in such a move. They would need to get in bed with Shogakukan or Shueisha to get IPs that matter around the world after all.
The mentioned The Seven Deadly Sins is a good first step to get a real audience but it´s not an original show. We will see i guess and dubs will be a concern too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
Perhaps Netflix is looking for an opportunity to grab a slice of pie from a production committee? In any case, I hope Netflix's plans work out well.
Sanyo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:41 am Reply with quote
So when can we get our first taste of some Netflix 'Amerime'?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
I would be just as happy if this fell through or resulted in something unwatchable. Unfortunately it probably will be a success.

I foresee a future in which each seasons anime will be streamed on a dozen or so different services, each requiring a monthly subscription to watch. We already have one show exclusive on Hulu, and, as far as I know, Netflix doesn't even offer a free ad supported option.

I suppose at some point someone will offer a service that bundles all anime streams for one back breaking price. Of course they would probably make us pay for %$#@& ESPN as part of the package.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
Perhaps they are hoping for a repeat of Afro Samurai?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
Why is everyone assuming he is talking about American-made "anime"?

Quote:
Hastings was elaborating on how his company will produce more unique programming from production companies around the world

Read also the box at the bottom of the source article, and consider that there is now a Netflix Japan and they will be wanting to secure exclusive programming for their Japanese audience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Genos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Pretty sure they'll be English voices only. Which probably wouldn't be bad because they're not dubbing over anything this time.

No, they're doing Ajin with Polygon Pictures with a Japanese cast (Miyano Mamoru stars) and they're streaming the subs.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
GEO9875 wrote:
Would they be hiring Japanese talent or is this like american produced anime?

That's an oxymoron to a lot of people. Anime=made in Japan (with some things outsourced to other Asian countries). RWBY is not anime by that definition. Neither is Avatar, though I think they did get a few episodes or something with real anime talents involved.

If they want to make good, TRUE anime...they will at most just be producers and not have any real influence on the actual content.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
Netflix wants in on the anime game? That's going to be interesting to see for sure! I wonder if they are going to hire Japanese talent to make them or decide to go the RWBY route first in terms of hoping that it would catch on in Japan to the point where it's popular there enough to make an official manga adaptation and something even more down the road.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
If by producing anime Netflix is saying giving money to Japanese companies and let them do their thing, I am all in. I want Netflix to just put money into anime, not ideas.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
assuming this will be something like RWBY

God I hope not. That "show" is awful. Confused
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Well if there going to make anime maybe will make second seasone for anime that need it then originals
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Funimation must be VERY nervous after this announcement, since if Netflix does their homework, they can get into the production committee of any guaranteed big hits with easy international appeal (as in, the story setting is not in Japan).
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Funimation must be VERY nervous after this announcement, since if Netflix does their homework, they can get into the production committee of any guaranteed big hits with easy international appeal (as in, the story setting is not in Japan).

I think Netflix is making anime for Japanese first too capture Japanese subscriptions in Japan.

Funimation is almost about dvd/Blu-ray sales anyway
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7