• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Weary Optimism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
I feel like I should be giving that last response a standing ovation of some sort.

Right. It's pretty cool that I don't even have to work at it to find something interesting to watch these days and that the prices are fair to boot. Getting to watch something for free or at low cost with no ethical qualms before I decide if I want to buy it is sweet. I can't say that I miss standing in a store wondering if it was worth dropping $20+ for a four episode DVD based on little more than the hope that it might be decent.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
descent into pedophilia and incest tropes

... Wait, is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Laughing
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

But for most people 4K gaming is on the menu with most midrange and even APUs able to push 4K with no issues and that combined with the fact 4K display prices are dropping quicker than it took for 1080p displays. so to say 4K video isn't important is pretty stupid to say the least.

I'm not saying 4K isn't important, it's just not important enough and not yet. {b}Video games aren't in 4K,[/b] and they will not be good looking in 4K either, movies aren't in 4K, TV broadcast is not in 4K, and so on. Even when those start offering 4K, it will not be the most significant considering most people will not get enormous screens. As said everywhere, getting a standard size 4K isn't the most useful thing, and the only difference can be seen if you sit right in front of the screen. Unlike 3D, this is a fad that will stay. But it will take a long time. And when 8K or 16K is about to kick in, the same discussion will be brought up. There is a limit to much the human eye can process though.

----------

I just saw Wizard Barristers 11, only that episode from the show. And my God, that was not exaggerated. It was horrible. Wow.
It reminded me of that episode of Attack on Titan where they walk down the stairs and for two minutes it was a still image, and pretty much most of that show's earlier episodes.
But this is different from The Pilot because this seems that they didn't have enough time to and just reused some animations and images to fill the time. The Pilot had horrible looking face and drawings, it need to be entirely redone. We'll see how it turns out.

they are on PC...
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
ElectricDork wrote:
Why not get the UK version? I believe they're the exact same discs as Madman's Australian release. Add £0.99 for postage and subtract £4-something VAT.

That's impressive. I have to admit when I looked up Madman's price prior to posting my comment I was somewhat pleasantly surprised at how much the price has come down since it was first released. If my memory serves me correctly, it wasn't that long ago that the 3 volume set cost around AU$135. Given how good I think PMMM is, it's getting close to a price that I can justify. In any case, I trust Madman - it's only a matter of time before they release it in one volume, as Manga has done in the UK, at a budget price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I think anyone who has truly experienced human civilization would be cynical of everything. Expect the worst, hope for the best.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:
There's one advantage to 4k that Justin clearly missed, and that 1080p tvs will go down in price once 4k floods the market. I agree that 4k is 3d all over again, but is likely here to stay. But I will need a new tv when I move to my new apartment, so 4k is good for me.

My hope for 4K TVs becoming popular is purely selfish; it would mean I would one day be able to purchase an inexpensive 3840 x 2160 computer monitor.

Much as the popularity of 1080p panels for TV led to 1080p monitors that are half the price of their 1920 x 1200 brethren, I expect 4K (or more accurately, UHD) TV will lead to 3840 x 2160 monitors that are on par or lower in price than 2560x1440 monitors currently are.

One advantage of a UHD TV is that both 720p and 1080p evenly scale to that resolution (3 x 3 for 720p, 2 x 2 for 1080p). That isn't the case of 720p scaling to a 1080p panel or visa versa. With some OTA broadcasts channels being 720p instead of 1080i, and some streaming content only going up to 720p, that shouldn't be overlooked.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
In any case, 4k doesn't benefit anime much when they can barely animate in 1080p as it is. I don't think they're entirely a useless gimmick, but I do think it's just a few years too early to jump on board when the content isn't yet available and the prices too steep. I suppose the best major benefit I can think of is that 70-80 inch TVs will have smaller and less definable pixels.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
There seems to be a lot of discussion in this thread about how useful/important 4K is or is not.

I have yet to hear of any significant game, movie, or other content produced in this resolution, but maybe I just don't follow the news enough.

So, here's my question: Can anyone provide actual examples of content produced in 4K? Unless someone can give me hard evidence that content producers are actually using it at this point, then I remain skeptical that any of the purported amounts of 4K content actually exist.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Ryujin99 wrote:
There seems to be a lot of discussion in this thread about how useful/important 4K is or is not.

I have yet to hear of any significant game, movie, or other content produced in this resolution, but maybe I just don't follow the news enough.

So, here's my question: Can anyone provide actual examples of content produced in 4K? Unless someone can give me hard evidence that content producers are actually using it at this point, then I remain skeptical that any of the purported amounts of 4K content actually exist.

35mm film can be scanned at greater resolutions than 4k.
king 47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

My hope for 4K TVs becoming popular is purely selfish; it would mean I would one day be able to purchase an inexpensive 3840 x 2160 computer monitor.

Much as the popularity of 1080p panels for TV led to 1080p monitors that are half the price of their 1920 x 1200 brethren, I expect 4K (or more accurately, UHD) TV will lead to 3840 x 2160 monitors that are on par or lower in price than 2560x1440 monitors currently are.

One advantage of a UHD TV is that both 720p and 1080p evenly scale to that resolution (3 x 3 for 720p, 2 x 2 for 1080p). That isn't the case of 720p scaling to a 1080p panel or visa versa. With some OTA broadcasts channels being 720p instead of 1080i, and some streaming content only going up to 720p, that shouldn't be overlooked.

That's sort of what I was getting it, it wasn't entirely 4K vs 1080p. I'm sure UHD will help reduce the cost of many other 'inferior' monitors and screens, and that in itself is good news.

Ryujin99

That's the one of the main reasons not to jump aboard the 4K ship. There isn't any significant amount of content that warrants the upgrade. My guess is that something needs to replace BD, and that seems unlikely with all the companies wanting digital distribution. I can't see myself streaming a UHD movie with NA internet connection. So it really needs time to pick up. The other main point is that, it's not that big of a deal.

In case you didn't know, Youtube now supports 4K resolution. But I don't know of its quality.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

35mm film can be scanned at greater resolutions than 4k.

Sure and you would need a screen greater than an IMAX to watch the increase in resolution.
4K is just hot air, designed as Justin said to sell you tvs. Tvs not cinema screens that you have to put inside your house/flat. So unless you live in some kind of palace, a 4k tv is just going to be identical to a 2k tv.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Ryujin99 wrote:

that's cause most of them are on PC where they don't tend to make a big deal about how high resolution they are since that's kinda pointless cause it's down to the PC they're played on.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Justin's optimism segment in the end was a nice way to show the progression of the anime industry and the availability of content.

On another note, 4k tv may end up being as irrelevant as 3D tv. I am curious to see if the advancement of holographic technology will be the new method that is used to view entertainment. The technology exists, yet it is limited and not ready for consumer consumption.

Maybe Justin would provide some insights on holographic technology?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Ryujin99 wrote:

Not much outside of some internet video is delivered to consumers in 4k, but the industry is scanning (and shooting) film in 4k to produce new masters, Giant Robo being anime's example. Of course, that's then downsized to 1080p for the BD release, so you're not receiving the full benefit of the process.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Ryujin99 wrote:
Can anyone provide actual examples of content produced in 4K?

Japan intends to begin 4K broadcasts in July.

That said, I don't see 4K having much impact on most consumers for at least another decade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6