• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hot Topic Launches Black Butler Merchandise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I saw that Rightstuf listed four t-shirts having to do with Black Butler as well. Or at least I'm assuming four different designs, as they just have different titles, no pictures yet. So I guess you won't have to go into Hot Topic to get one Smile
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, Black Butler is another one of those teen-oriented anime, it's only natural Hot Topic would do this, after all, they used to sell Naruto and Death Note merchandise. Lately however, I haven't even seen Naruto or Death Note at Hot Topic, Black Butler will be the only anime there. Also, lately Hot Topic has sort of turned into a novelty shop. They sell a lot of teen-oriented movie merchandise and videogame merchandise. I even seen merchandise related to old Nicktoon shows like Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life and Angry Beavers.

I am surprised to hear that Black Butler is a shonen, I too thought it was fangirl fodder, but then, I never read the manga or saw the anime, so what do I know?

Quote:
'd say at least HALF of the people buying these shirts have never even watched/heard of Black Butler. Hot Topic customers tend to roll like that. Wink

You know, you might be right. I wonder if that's how it'll be too, and I have noticed that Hot Topic customers tend to roll like that. I don't, and I shop there, but I know there are others.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
I am surprised to hear that Black Butler is a shonen, I too thought it was fangirl fodder, but then, I never read the manga or saw the anime, so what do I know?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlueBishonenGhetto

There are quite a few shonen series that do this.
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:

It is fangirl fodder, but it's published in a shonen magazine. It's become a new thing to create shonen series that appeal to a female audience, especially fujoshi. There are many other series that follow this trend, such as Nabari No Ou, Katekyo Hitman Reborn! and D Gray-Man. It's money, dear boy!
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Man, I miss the days I could walk into a Hot Topic and see all sorts of anime merchandise: FullMetal Alchemist, Bleach, Naruto, Fruits Basket...I got my Inuyasha T there on sale, good times Very Happy!
I wish they had NANA stuff...not that I go there anymore (no malls where I'm at) but it would be cool. Wink
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
So a store that claims to specialize in the 21st-century concept of "goth" is using characters from a show where there plausibly could have been actual "gothic" fashion.

Does this qualify as irony?

Do you really think the store, or most of the customers, even agree on what goth is anymore lol? Every time I walk by mine I swear I'm looking into a store run by dementia patients because there is no sort or coordinated theme or idea. It's like a hodgepodge of anything with lots of button, chains, rips, and buckles. Don't even know how you put on half of their clothes anymore. Confused I miss the old button up "club" shirts they had with Bettie Paige on them and various tribal designs. Those were nice. But I guess today's emo goth wears anime t-shirts.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
As much as I bash it... Hot Topic does have some good stuff once in a while, Though Though still pretty expensive. Tend to check stuff out on sale or clearance.

Then again Hot Topic is the center for kids who can't tell the difference between punk, goth, hipster and nerd so they had to go be 'emo' and imitate yet still ignore the subcultures that came before. So I guess it's more the die hard fans of the store I can't stand.
animeroxsmysoxs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:06 am Reply with quote
Joketsu wrote:
No Grell Shirts? I am disappoint!

I was thinking the same thing lol Anime hyper
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:14 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Why would they make this shirt only in men's sizes? Isn't Black Butler geared for girls? Sebastian seems like total fangirl fodder.

Gay guys maybe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
Why would they make this shirt only in men's sizes? Isn't Black Butler geared for girls? Sebastian seems like total fangirl fodder.

Gay guys maybe?

Right, because no straight guy has ever watched a bishonen-heavy show........ever. Confused
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Then again Hot Topic is the center for kids who can't tell the difference between punk, goth, hipster and nerd so they had to go be 'emo' and imitate yet still ignore the subcultures that came before. So I guess it's more the die hard fans of the store I can't stand.

My now 19 yr old was terrified of Hot Topic when she was 5 or 6. I had to leave her with my husband to go in looking for metal/fantasy stuff. It's always been a place I've shopped since I found it back in the 80's.

Sepherest wrote:
It is fangirl fodder, but it's published in a shonen magazine. It's become a new thing to create shonen series that appeal to a female audience, especially fujoshi. There are many other series that follow this trend, such as Nabari No Ou, Katekyo Hitman Reborn! and D Gray-Man. It's money, dear boy!

Actually, if you research the topic, you'll learn this goes back much further than you seem to believe. One sees a lot of Saint Seiya fans amongst female manga-ka. As a fan of Hoshin Engi, I learned it's credited along with other female-friendly titles as saving Shonen Jump in the 90's when sales were dropping off
nagato316

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Then again Hot Topic is the center for kids who can't tell the difference between punk, goth, hipster and nerd...

Which I why I'm surprised I've heard nothing about Hot Topic stores carrying apparel featuring Soul Eater. You'd think that anything that looks like a mashup of anime, goth (as informed/inspired by Tim Burton anyway) and the character designs of Gorillaz would be automatic win for the retail chain.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
Well I bought some Hellsing and FMA 5 years ago in a trip to the USA; the color just started to fade, so I will probably think about buying this one in my next trip Very Happy
Big t-shirts can be cut and adapted if you have a small frame. Still I also find odd that is only in men sizes.

I'm probably the only person in here that doesn't seem embarased to be seen at hot topic Anime hyper
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I admit, I'd buy it if the fabric on Hot Topic's T-Shirts weren't so tissue thin and cheap.
Aw hell, those Fruit of the Loom shirts sold at Wal Mart for -$5 3-packs use higher quality materials than Hot Topic cranks out!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3