• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Navarre Reveals Funimation's Dragon Ball Kai License

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I prefer the English dub over the Japanese. I like having a Goku and Krillin that sound like adults, not the shrill kids voices they kept. The initial FUNi dub wasn't that great, but it was their first dub so it's forgivable and there's a considerable difference between the acting in the Ginyu Saga and the Future Trunks/Cell Saga that is more in line with the quality work the do today.

Well, I guess you have your tastes, but the DBZ dub is practically a different show than the Japanese version. They change the script dramatically at times, even much later. And Goku's voice is supposed to be that way, I'm pretty sure that's the way Toriyama intended it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
They better produce a completely new dub otherwise i will not support this Sabanized hackjob.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Kinda annoyed that they're leaving the "Z" in the title.

Yeah what the hell is up with that? DBZ Kai?? I hope they change that. It looks and sounds ridiculous.
FlyingFox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
This is wonderful. Its a good thing I stopped buying the box sets after the first season. All the filler and crap was just to much to handle. I don't understand how other people can stand it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
FlyingFox wrote:
This is wonderful. Its a good thing I stopped buying the box sets after the first season. All the filler and crap was just to much to handle. I don't understand how other people can stand it.

The filler in the first "season" actually helped to support Gohan's character growth. But I can understand not wanting to bother with the rest.

If only DB Kai was a better quality product.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
stararnold

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Although I'm a "Dragon Ball" fan, I didn't really expect for "Dragon Ball Kai" to have a region one DVD release, seeing that Funimation already started releasing digitally remastered uncut dub/sub volumes of "Dragon Ball Z", of which "Dragon Ball Kai" is a remastering and alternate editing.

It looks like soon, there maybe a North America DVD sale war between the two edited versions of the same "Dragon Ball" T.V. series, but I think the edited version labeled "Dragon Ball Z" will win it because it's the more full version.
Katane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
The Saints in the Superbowl is a bigger surprise then this(go Colts). Well Congrads Funi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
How will this effect sales of the Dragon Box? At least, that's the question that's been bugging me for a while.

Doubt it will at all.
While Kai is a decent effort, people who are true fans want the original, and the Dragon Box provides exactly that, and with the best quality possible at the same time.
Kai on Blu-ray is rather pointless as the only thing that's actually HD is the new reanimated opening. The rest is an upscale of the old SD footage from the original series with the odd colour adjustments and what not here and there.
Of course this gives FUNi another chance to milk the DBZ franchaise all that more, but personally I think I'll stick to the Dragon Boxes.
Wake me up when the Japanese do a proper remake of the DBZ series by reanimating it based purely on the manga, not cut and pasting like wth Kai. Heh.
machetecat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
.......I'm so completely utterly shocked. No. Really.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Which brings DBZ ever closer to the EVA record of rereleases of what, 4 or 5? Keep reaching for that star Funi, one day you will get there!

Seriously though, this wasn't a surprise to me whatsoever, and just after I finished buying those season sets, before Dragon Box came out, now this....so hard to choose.
wicked86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely pick this up. A little annoyed by that Z though. Thats gonna bother me every time i hear about this.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
wicked86 wrote:
I'll definitely pick this up. A little annoyed by that Z though. Thats gonna bother me every time i hear about this.

Me too. But it could be worse...
They could have changed the name to "Dragon Ball Z NEO" or something.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
There will defiantly be a new dub, considering that the series has a number of completely new scenes that will need dubbing anyway, and that the story was streamlined so dramatically compared to the original DBZ that Toei needed to bring back all the surviving Japanese Z actors to re-record their parts for Kai.

Plenty of dialog in the original Japanese version of Z was changed from the manga in order to accommodate filler, which is no longer present in Kai. Those lines will have to be re-dubbed, or else the show would make no sense at all.

I've never bought DBZ on DVD before, so I'm excited about this. An animated production that tries to capture the faster pace of the manga seems like exactly what I've been waiting to see from this franchise.

Plus it'll be a nice compliment to the Dragon Ball season boxes that I'm currently getting.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Spring? That's fast. Funi's been keeping this under wraps for a while then.

http://www.dragonballzkai.com/

Looking forward to picking this up, and still getting those Dragon Boxes. Confident Funimation will do an even better job this time around.
Koji98

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Which brings DBZ ever closer to the EVA record of rereleases of what, 4 or 5? Keep reaching for that star Funi, one day you will get there!

People loved DBZ, while anime fans loved Evangelion. One group has more sales than the other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4