• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Anime's 8 Deadliest Children

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I think the problem with this list is that its not concretely stated what counts as deadliest. Deadliest could mean -> most powerful -> therefore easiest to kill in which case the list should include god like characters like Haruhi, Lain, Gotenks, etc.; if you mean more likely to kill, ie psychopathic where its not a matter of power, but desire -> then I agree with a few others that Killua, Hansel and Gretel, Higarashi kids and Narutaru kids should be on there. Or the last category can be who literally killed the most, ie highest body count in which case the Bokurano kids did kill billions if not trillions.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Unless Gia Manry has for inscrutable reasons adopted a pseudonym for this, this column is now under Ms. Lamb's stewardship. Hence why it's The List rather than Gia's List.

And now I feel like an idiot for not checking the byline. Sigh.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I think the problem with this list is that its not concretely stated what counts as deadliest. Deadliest could mean -> most powerful -> therefore easiest to kill in which case the list should include god like characters like Haruhi, Lain, Gotenks, etc.; if you mean more likely to kill, ie psychopathic where its not a matter of power, but desire -> then I agree with a few others that Killua, Hansel and Gretel, Higarashi kids and Narutaru kids should be on there. Or the last category can be who literally killed the most, ie highest body count in which case the Bokurano kids did kill billions if not trillions.

In the case of this list, I was leaning towards the second category. You could also use the descriptor "prolific murderous kids", where "kids" would be 14 and under.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kufirst

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
Young Johan Liebert, Hakudoushi, Selim Bradely, Seta Soujirou, the vampire twins from Black Lagoon
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Though I wouldn't have put Bokurano's cast on it, they aren't deadly in the way the other members of the list were.[/spoiler]

The manga has a bit more of a more direct (albeit still forced) moment where spoiler[one of the pilots is forced wipe out the ENTIRE populous to kill the opposing pilot.]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:12 am Reply with quote
I'd rather see the kids of Narutaru instead of Bokurano personally. See, in Bokurano it could be argued that everything is in self defense (and I'm not bothering with spoiler tags since the article outright spoils the major plot twist) since if Zearth isn't victorious then everybody in the universe/dimension/whatever will die. I don't really consider that deadly. Hell, some of them are really docile like Daiichi who was only fighting to protect those he cared about.

Whereas in Narutaru... not so much. There isn't nearly as much moral ambiguity with what goes down in Narutaru. No, its characters are just given a great power and they exploit it to all hell and do all kinds of twisted and sinister things.

I guess if you're speaking from a body count percentage, then yes, Bokurano wins. But if you're speaking as to the characters themselves, then Narutaru has far more 'deadly' children.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
I will always remember someone posting a GURPS character sheet for Sailor Saturn, and having the effect of her big finisher be "Gather your campaign materials and toss them in the fire. Watch them burn."
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
glitchhunter wrote:
Kohii wrote:
Masato from Rumiko Takahashi's Mermaid Saga was pretty terrible.

For sure. That kid is so twisted he gives me the creeps. spoiler[Since he was actually over 800 and stuck in a child's body I don't know if he would be included as a child, though]

He would since there's one like that on the list already: spoiler[the Cowboy Bebop kid is also an old, unaging child.]

I'd have to vote for the Higurashi band myself, just because spoiler[with the Groundhog's Day loop, they've killed hundreds or thousands... it's just that they're killing the same people over and over.]
CBongo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
Second the nomination for Mizuho-sensei.

Other teachers that I would consider for the list:

Becky-sensei from Pani Poni Dash!
Nikadou-sensei from Shugo Chara
Komoe-sensei from A Certain Magical Index
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
I agree with the overall "Narutaru kids deadlier than Bokurano kids", but I guess the author here simply hasn't seen Narutaru (not to mention the Narutaru anime really only shows half of the whole mess)? I believe it is even less popular than Bokurano ... and yea, the twins from Black Lagoon are really Shocked as well ...

in any way, thinking about it, anime sure has many psycho-kid characters ...
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I read this list and I was confused about something. Both "Shadow Star Narutaru" and "Bokurano" have some very dangerous children. From what I've heard of "Bokurano,"it's probably one of the most depressing animes that's ever been made. Should I be grateful that this show has not come to America and "Narutaru" has?
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I read this list and I was confused about something. Both "Shadow Star Narutaru" and "Bokurano" have some very dangerous children. From what I've heard of "Bokurano,"it's probably one of the most depressing animes that's ever been made. Should I be grateful that this show has not come to America and "Narutaru" has?

I don't see any reason why you should be grateful that a great show hasn't come to America Wink On the other hand, the Bokurano manga is being published, while Narutaru was never completed in English. And in both cases the manga versions are better than their anime adaptions (the Bokurano anime being way better than Narutaru's though).
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
The Shadow Star Narutaru Anime was virtually incomprehensible. It remains one of the absolute worst adaptations I have ever seen of anything in any medium, ever. It's like if someone took a mixture of some highlights and various random scenes from the first part of the Manga then cut most of those out to leave a handful left. Then, that remainder was awkwardly scattered into the show with only the slightest of scenes joining all the disparate threads. Things happen and you don't even know the characters (let alone what their motivations are) because the show had skipped out the proper introduction scenes.

It's an appallingly bad show. Honestly, what were the creators thinking?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Actually dtm, the Narutaru anime was quite faithful to the manga. Everything you talked about were also very big issues with the span of manga volumes that the anime covered.
kamui85

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Really surprised to see my favorite sailor soldier, hotaru tomoe, on this list...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4