• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Licentious Licensing

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
EDIT: also the consumer bit...if you have no intent on purchasing the product in the first place (five years from now this BD set will no longer be available) then why would the price bother you anyway? This is what I don't get. I started noticing this when the Garden of sinners came out in Japan: people were getting all aggravated about the pricing when the had absolutely no intent on purchasing the thing. A domestic example would be R.O.D: BD box was announced and half of the people complaining weren't even the ones the set was being marketed at.

The reason I care is because the price does affect me when I purchase other DVDs and Blu-rays. While I may not be interested in Durarara!! at this time, I may be interested in another title that they are trying to sell at a similar price point. But I am not going to buy that product either because it is more than I think the value of the product is. And since the initial price is already so high, most people are going to ask for more when they sale their used discs (if they sell them at all), meaning that I will end up paying more for those discs if I do decided to purchase it 5 years down the road.

Also, if other distributors are encourage to sell their products at similar price points, then I and others will end up not buying any more anime. That will result in fewer dollars at play and the market will contract even further. And as the market contracts, less anime will be licensed and released in the US.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The simulcast is just like a TV airing. I don't see why everyone NEEDS to be able to own everything when its easily viewable at any time through the simulcasts. Having it be a "premium option" for the most hardcore fans, like in Japan, is probably the way the Japanese companies would make the most money.

Except that the US market is not like the Japanese market.

The Japanese market is supported by the pervasive mass-market manga, available for a few bucks a pop to get a telephone book sized serial. And the Japanese physical media market was always a renters market, with the collectors that emerged necessarily being the ones willing to pay rental disk prices.

The purchase of anime physical media releases are just the tip of the iceberg in Japan ~ the problem for the anime industry in Japan is that following the collapse of the actual rental market of the disks, the physical media sales became dependent on that small number of people willing to pay rental prices to collect physical media.

In the US, while they are both niche markets, the anime niche market has led the manga niche market, instead of the other way around. And selling into a VHS and then DVD market that had evolved into a mass market. If a healthy ecosystem is going to evolve, something will be needed to slot in between streaming generating net revenue ranging from nothing to nickles, and premium collectors physical media releases

Of course, the fact that something is needed to slot in there doesn't mean that anyone has sorted out what it will be, quite yet.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Broadcasting licenses are a flat fee as broadcast times are agreed before signing. It's merchandise that brings in the brass after that, and that includes DVD, and Bluerays, but that can't happen if those are not available. They can't whinge that no-one's buying discs when they aren't making them available, or try to take advantage of that by making just a few and then try and gouge the buyers, I'll never play that game.

Except that the physical media releases seem like they are going deeper into the anime broadcast each season in Japan than ever before, so its hard to see any strength in the "that can't happen if those are not available" complaint. There's every reason to believe that if what was being made available was selling in stronger numbers, then even more titles would be licensed for physical release.

Which suggests that if there's going to be a more broadly available collectible release format, its not going to be on physical media.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11