• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon GN 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
though don't be susprised that they will change the names to suit the american audience for future volumes.

Why should we think that they will? Considering that so far they haven't changed the attack names to fit the old dub (hell, I don't even think the old Mixx/Tokyopop release changed the attack names), if they DID change them it really would be a surprise.

You're going to have to explain your reasoning here.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
though don't be susprised that they will change the names to suit the american audience for future volumes.

Why should we think that they will? Considering that so far they haven't changed the attack names to fit the old dub (hell, I don't even think the old Mixx/Tokyopop release changed the attack names), if they DID change them it really would be a surprise.

Actually I did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Actually I did.

You said "No. it's probably on purpose to at least keep the names of the special attacks similar to the US anime release."

Which they haven't. All the attack names have more or less corresponded to the original japanese version, Sparkling/Spark Ring not withstanding, and that's been correctd in volume 4, either way it's NOT "Jupiter Thunder Cloud" as it was in DiC's dub.

I'm asking you to explain why you keep thinking they will.
merr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

Shin Aqua Allusion (forgot what it was, Mercury Something Something)

I think it was "Mercury Bubble Blast."

neocloud9 wrote:
I had no idea Chibiusa was one of the least-liked characters in the series! Rini was always my favorite when I was growing up watching the show, so I was really excited to see her finally show up in the manga re-release.

I always liked her too, though more in the manga than the anime. But I remember people just hating her back in the day (wow, that makes me sound old...) and whole sites devoted to why she should die. I seem to remember one that had a video of melting a Rini doll in the microwave. Shocked

Actually she was popular.

Unfortunately, the only ones that liked Chibiusa in those days were the mind numbing,creepy lolicon otaku types.

You're forgetting the 5 to 12 year old Japanese girls who made up a huge portion of Sailor Moon's toy buying audience back in the day. They looooooved Chibi-usa, especially after she became a senshi. She was the perfect audience insertion character for them.

It's why SuperS became the Chibi-usa and friends show when it was turned into an anime. It's also why Kae Araki kept getting high profile roles in the 90s, despite her annoying voice and complete inability to act. *cough* Miaka *cough*
prabb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
It's also why Kae Araki kept getting high profile roles in the 90s, despite her annoying voice and complete inability to act. *cough* Miaka *cough*

Oh God. I think I just found out why I dislike Miaka so much! Shocked
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

Shin Aqua Allusion (forgot what it was, Mercury Something Something)

I think it was "Mercury Bubble Blast."

neocloud9 wrote:
I had no idea Chibiusa was one of the least-liked characters in the series! Rini was always my favorite when I was growing up watching the show, so I was really excited to see her finally show up in the manga re-release.

I always liked her too, though more in the manga than the anime. But I remember people just hating her back in the day (wow, that makes me sound old...) and whole sites devoted to why she should die. I seem to remember one that had a video of melting a Rini doll in the microwave. Shocked

Actually she was popular.

Unfortunately, the only ones that liked Chibiusa in those days were the mind numbing,creepy lolicon otaku types.

You're forgetting the 5 to 12 year old Japanese girls who made up a huge portion of Sailor Moon's toy buying audience back in the day. They looooooved Chibi-usa, especially after she became a senshi. She was the perfect audience insertion character for them.

It's why SuperS became the Chibi-usa and friends show when it was turned into an anime. It's also why Kae Araki kept getting high profile roles in the 90s, despite her annoying voice and complete inability to act. *cough* Miaka *cough*

That I know. it was the same thing for here in the US when they had chibi usa dolls here.

however it's like i said, there are others that are fans of her as well as those mind numbing,lolicon craving, otaku types. which unfortunately made the bulk of her popularity in the US. though that were during R,which got dwarped when hotaru made her appearance, on S and the popularity for the two of them were split.

Probably why even to this day that yuri doujinishi of those two are still popular to the otaku community.

Also to the other guy, i did gave my explaination. they might change those moves to the english names.

WHY? Preety simple. To suit the taste for some american readers. ESPECIALLY the young female demograph.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Also to the other guy, i did gave my explaination. they might change those moves to the english names.

WHY? Preety simple. To suit the taste for some american readers. ESPECIALLY the young female demograph.

And you're not making any damn sense!

How would changing the names suit some american readers?

I just gave you examples from the FIRST FOUR VOLUMES showing that they haven't changed anything! You haven't shown me ANYTHING but absolutely baseless speculation.

What could they possibly change? And why? Star Gentle Uterus? I think the readers can handle that today.

Seriously body, I have no idea what your problem is.
SummonerXI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Reminds me of the whole Death Ribbon/Reborn Revolution thing.

Well, at least her attack isn't called Star Gentle Uterus.

Death Reborn Revolution (デス・リボーン・レボリューション) and Death Ribbon Revolution (デス・リボン・レボリューション) are two different attack names. Reborn is her ultimate attack which can destroy the world in the Infinity Arc of the Manga. Ribbon is the dumbed down version of Reborn which was in the video games so Saturn would actually have an attack.

So remember, Reborn is リボーン and Ribbon is リボン.

Tokyopop didn't mistranslate Reborn, and neither did the fan-translation for Sailor Moon Another Story for Ribbon, so there is really no discrepancy here.

Shenl742 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

And you're not making any damn sense!

How would changing the names suit some american readers?

I just gave you examples from the FIRST FOUR VOLUMES showing that they haven't changed anything! You haven't shown me ANYTHING but absolutely baseless speculation.

What could they possibly change? And why? Star Gentle Uterus? I think the readers can handle that today.

Seriously body, I have no idea what your problem is.

Just adding on here, Kodansha Comics advertised the translation to be 100% accurate to the Japanese version. There's no reason to use any of the DiC-invented English terms ever at this point.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
I've been enjoying the re-translationed versions. Yeah, there are minor typos and some poor translations, but...miles better than the old Mixx/Tokyopop translations.

Chibiusa is a character that grew on me. I think it helps if you try to remember that she's about four-five years old when the R story starts. If you can remember how you were like when you were that age, it's easier to understand why Chibiusa acts the way she does. Do you honestly think you could travel back thousands of years into the past with the knowledge that it was up to you to save the future? That's a heavy burden for anyone, let alone a child.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
But when she gains that knowledge of knowing who her parents are, you would think she would be more understanding, but she just doesn't do that. Especially when spoiler[she decides to go the Wicked Lady route, then she's compromising and even helping the enemy mess up the future].
Rebochan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
SummonerXI wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Death Reborn Revolution (デス・リボーン・レボリューション) and Death Ribbon Revolution (デス・リボン・レボリューション) are two different attack names. Reborn is her ultimate attack which can destroy the world in the Infinity Arc of the Manga. Ribbon is the dumbed down version of Reborn which was in the video games so Saturn would actually have an attack.

Wrong on both counts.

Death Reborn Revolution does not destroy the world. She used it to drain Master Pharaoh 90's energy in the Death Busters arc. Saturn has a completely different maneuver for destroying the world - she simply brings down her Silence Glaive, using no incantations whatsoever.

The manga is pretty clear on this too because multiple characters (including Saturn) point out that bringing down her Glaive is all she needs to do. The anime kept this - the only time Saturn nearly destroyed the world, she used "Silence Wall" to distract an opponent, then started trying to bring her Glaive down.

"Death Ribbon Revolution" was a mistake in a single game. She uses "Death Reborn Revolution" in multiple other titles and it most definitely does not destroy the world in any of THEM either. It's a pun because it DOES use ribbons and "Reborn" and "Ribbon" sound similar when heard by a Japanese speaker.

Here's a more detailed article on the subject.

Back to the main topic, "Spark Ring! Wide Pressure" is a pretty clear mistranslation and I'm not sure how it's "logical" because it STILL comes off as gibberish to an English speaker.

Haterater wrote:
But when she gains that knowledge of knowing who her parents are, you would think she would be more understanding, but she just doesn't do that. Especially when spoiler[she decides to go the Wicked Lady route, then she's compromising and even helping the enemy mess up the future].

Wait, what? Black Lady was brainwashed by the villains. She didn't make a conscious choice, she was captured and twisted by black magic. Hence why she turned into a COMPLETELY different person.

Do you similarly blame Mamoru for what he did...any of the numerous times he was brainwashed by the bad guys?
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I remember her spoiler[finding out her Sirena was Sailor Moon and running away, letting that Wise Man through all sorts of stuff at her. If she had faith in her mother and didn't believe that she was "bad to save the world," then Wise Man's words shouldn't have gotten to her. In other words, being by her side in the first place and never running off. ]

I also don't really like Darien for his constant stuff, so no love there. Especially how he treated Sirena spoiler[when having the fated dream in R.] There could have been other ways of handling that.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Which they haven't. All the attack names have more or less corresponded to the original japanese version, Sparkling/Spark Ring not withstanding, and that's been correctd in volume 4, either way it's NOT "Jupiter Thunder Cloud" as it was in DiC's dub.

Since when was it ever called Thunder Cloud? I never heard that in DiC's dub once.

merr wrote:
It's also why Kae Araki kept getting high profile roles in the 90s, despite her annoying voice and complete inability to act. *cough* Miaka *cough*

Kae Araki couldn't act? Really? That's news to me.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

Since when was it ever called Thunder Cloud? I never heard that in DiC's dub once.

I'm pretty sure he meant Thunderclap. Anime smile + sweatdrop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLPUkRcOQgE
SummonerXI

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Rebochan wrote:
SummonerXI wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Wrong on both counts.

Death Reborn Revolution does not destroy the world. She used it to drain Master Pharaoh 90's energy in the Death Busters arc. Saturn has a completely different maneuver for destroying the world - she simply brings down her Silence Glaive, using no incantations whatsoever.

The manga is pretty clear on this too because multiple characters (including Saturn) point out that bringing down her Glaive is all she needs to do. The anime kept this - the only time Saturn nearly destroyed the world, she used "Silence Wall" to distract an opponent, then started trying to bring her Glaive down.

"Death Ribbon Revolution" was a mistake in a single game. She uses "Death Reborn Revolution" in multiple other titles and it most definitely does not destroy the world in any of THEM either. It's a pun because it DOES use ribbons and "Reborn" and "Ribbon" sound similar when heard by a Japanese speaker.

Here's a more detailed article on the subject.

Maybe I was wrong on the functionality of the attack, but there's still a difference between them. Mainly, using Reborn will kill her. Using any of her canon attacks will kill her (save for Silence Wall which is more of defensive maneuver than an attack). Anyway, taking from that same site is this page http://www.genvid.com/diesgaudii/drr/r-r.html about both attacks. Clearly she can't use an attack in a video game that's going to kill her every time she uses it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3