• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dezaki's The Tale of Genji Anime to Debut in January

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
he really doesn't seem to like doing moe shows

So why's he doing Genji, then?

...maybe because Genji isn't moe? Honestly, did you ask the question with no prior knowledge of what Genji Monogatari is?

That aside, I'd like to see how this turns out. I never caught the movie that was done on it a while ago, mostly because a lot of the reviews commented on how boring it was also from what I know of the story it isn't all that exciting, so we'll see Confused
valondar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Cool? Sweet?! Apparently the two of you above have never experienced

1) the magnificent art of Waki Yamato;

Well, no, but I have read the novel. In what way does Yamato's work, narratively speaking, differ from it?

I think the novel's very good and I'm all for a faithful adaptation.

Quote:

2) how things can go wrong when Osamu Dezaki wants to "go with his own."

Really my only experience with Dezaki were the Golgo 13 movie and OVA. Which wasn't good, that's true.

Still, colour me rather interested.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
My first exposure to Osamu Dezaki and Akio Sugino was Mighty Orbots. I've also seen the Black Jack OVA series and the Snow Queen TV series. As a yuri fan I should get around to watching Oniisama e.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:36 am Reply with quote
If you call yourself an anime fan and you haven't seen Rose of Versailles. Go. watch. it. now.

-Tofu
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:42 am Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
If you call yourself an anime fan and you haven't seen Rose of Versailles. Go. watch. it. now.

Watched the first ten episodes on VHS fansubs. Noted that the costume designs were suspiciously similar to the alien invaders' in Voltes V. That's right, horned alien invaders who dressed like like French noblemen.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:53 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
nargun wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
he really doesn't seem to like doing moe shows

So why's he doing Genji, then?

...maybe because Genji isn't moe? Honestly, did you ask the question with no prior knowledge of what Genji Monogatari is?

Methinks you are the one who have little idea about the literature: it has probably the first and arguably the most sought-after jailbait in the history of Japanese literature. I've mentioned about it two years ago.

@Tofusensei: Yes, I know Dezaki was a great director, but his recent records are not quite well, and I'd rather judge a person by his recent performance than his past glories. Now when was the last time we heard something about Monkey Punch?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:22 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Methinks you are the one who have little idea about the literature: it has probably the first and arguably the most sought-after jailbait in the history of Japanese literature.

That itself doesn't make it "moe" or "loli." And for some reason I have a feeling that this new show won't be marketed to male otaku who make up the vast majority of the audience for moe/loli anime.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
And for some reason I have a feeling that this new show won't be marketed to male otaku who make up the vast majority of the audience for moe/loli anime.

I agree with you completely -- don't be too surprised. Wink A problem is that Yamato drew Murasaki-no-Ue and other young girls of Heien Period way too cute. If Dezaki directs this series with historically-accurate makeups (shaved eyebrows, lipstick only at the center of lips to make them look smaller, and teeth blackened with water containing rusted iron nails) I'm sure most moe fans would be scared off. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
@Tofusensei: Yes, I know Dezaki was a great director, but his recent records are not quite well, and I'd rather judge a person by his recent performance than his past glories. Now when was the last time we heard something about Monkey Punch?

Well that's why I mentioned Snow Queen. Unless 2005 isn't recent.

-Tofu
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Methinks you are the one who have little idea about the literature: it has probably the first and arguably the most sought-after jailbait in the history of Japanese literature.

That itself doesn't make it "moe" or "loli." And for some reason I have a feeling that this new show won't be marketed to male otaku who make up the vast majority of the audience for moe/loli anime.

exactly

btw dormcat, I know the basic premise of Genji. Sophomore year my Intro to asian art professor gave us the run through of the story when we looked at the Geji Monogatari wall scroll. The basic story sounded like a drama but not of moe proportions.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:09 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
The basic story sounded like a drama but not of moe proportions.

I said that an "authentic/realistic" adaptation could scare off moe fans.

Just how many of you have read Yamato's version? I say if Dezaki doesn't change the plan the series would attract lots of moe fans inevitably, so it is quite reasonable for Dezaki to stop adapting Yamato's version if he dislikes moe.
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
A problem is that Yamato drew Murasaki-no-Ue and other young girls of Heien Period way too cute.

I think there's a difference between "shoujo type" cuteness and "moe-type" cuteness (as much as they overlap sometimes, mostly in anime)... as well as a difference between shoujo type (melo)drama and melodrama targeted at males. I mean, say, 'Oniisama he' is definitely not the type of drama that most fans of 'Kanon' or 'Clannad' would be interested in.

In any case, it seems that the anime is no longer planned to be an adaptation of Yamato Waki's manga, in fact, Yamato's name doesn't even appear in the blurb at the official website, so all this is moot. Smile And no matter how the target audience of NoitamiA has been changing lately, I doubt they'd do an adaptation of 'Genji' with a male audience in mind...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
In any case, it seems that the anime is no longer planned to be an adaptation of Yamato Waki's manga, in fact, Yamato's name doesn't even appear in the blurb at the official website, so all this is moot. Smile

Didn't this very news say so? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:11 am Reply with quote
I'd so kill to meet Dezaki & Sugino just once.

Still i remember the previous anime version from the late 80's brought over by USMC. I tried to enjoy it but really couldn't get into it. OTOH, I know this particular story is very highly regarded in Japanese culture and I get the feeling that after a long distinguished career in anime production, this crew will give the story the high quality it deserves, alongside Rose of Versailles other classics. Definitely will be looking forward to January with this news.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I am definitely interested in this. I am especially happy about the following quote

"However, Dezaki decided that he wanted to bypass the manga version and write and direct a more direct interpretation of the original novel itself"

Maybe this will encourage me to finally read the novel I've been interested in it for awhile.

So the director has done some not so great stuff he has also done some amazing things to balance this out. Maybe the not so great stuff is not his fault but the source material. Anyways considering what he did with the second half of Rose of Versailles (another historical series) I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt here.

And series on noitaminA tend to be good and definitely not targeted to the typical otaku audience. Another reason why this deserves a try.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3