• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Whats with Adult Swim now?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotaru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:16 pm Reply with quote
this is really going to confuse me. it's bad enough that time warner cable changes which channels are which like, every year, and we have to remember everything that's on t.v., now we gotta memorize new schedules, record more stuff, and inevitably not get to watch half of it. ARG!!!

on a lighter note, i won a t-shirt in the lifetime of never-ending happiness (or what ever) contest. i got a sealab shirt Very Happy wear it with pride, man! although i had to wash and iron it a few times for all the wrinkles to come out....

fig nuts...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, that means I'll see 56 ep of Inu Yasha on TV before I see Vol. 2 of Inu Yasha. Confused Ahh, the wait. Hmmm, Futrama on CN? Is it me or is itn't a on FOX. Sad MORE COWBOY BEBOP!? I've been back in the States since Feburay and I have seen it on TV atleast 3 times. Mad Come on CN, there are more then a couple of series that you can replace CB with (Love Hina (*LOL* I kill myself somethings. Razz), Uncut DB, GateKeepers, Trigun, etc etc etc.). Oh well, the wait for Ghost in the Shell TV grows longer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:46 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Fox cancelled Futurama because of low ratings. Though, the only reason the ratings were low is because (on the east coast) it keeps getting replaced with (stupid) football so we CAN'T see it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shadowwave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:40 am Reply with quote
Viacom Sneak attacked CN

Jamie Kellner - CEO of CN/WB-TV

The cuts and programming decisions by the WB TV leadership seriously damaged the Cartoon Network's ability to keep a unified schedule and build on its past successes. WB TV leadership made (or were responsible for) the following changes:

Forcing out Betty Cohen, the president of the network.
Replacing her with a "General Manager," Jim Samples.
Reducing one of the most successful blocks, Toonami, to only 2 hours.
Moving Toonami to one of the worst time periods for such a block.
Cutting new, quality programming and development.
Slashing the acquistions budget (used for getting new series).
Forcing out Dea Perez, the acquisitions executive for the network.
Forcing the Turner Entertainment networks to all share one acquisitions executive, Jonathan Katz.

TNN is trying to steal viewership. They have everything except 18-34 animation.TNN has their animation blocks set up for 1st quarter 2003.

Ted Turner assisted and got the third hour back for Toonami.
And Williams STreet is in the process of doing something good for the block but they're very secretive about it.
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:41 pm Reply with quote
There a few things I need to clarify before I say anything:

1) The schedule you have seen for the new Adult Swim weeknights is not final. It was merely written to give journalists a general idea of their upcoming schedule. So it will change.

2) "Inu-Yasha" and "Cowboy Bebop" will most likely not be the only anime shown; in fact, I'm almost certain they'll rotate. Remember, CN has "Ghost in the Shell TV" and "Big O 2" coming up soon, and they will be shown because of CN's heavy investment in them.

3) CN did not put Y7 programming on Adult Swim because they knew AS' fanbase wasn't entirely made up of adults. The Y7 shows ("Pilot Candidate", etc.) were originally meant for Toonami but were put up on AS so that CN could secure that timeslot for Adult Swim action, hence why "Outlaw Star" and "Tenchi Muyo!" made an appearance. All future anime shows will be edited to a TV-14 standard, the highest the BS&P will allow shows on CN to be edited.

4) The only reason "Futurama" was canceled by Fox was because they placed the show in such bad timeslots, which resulted in its poor ratings. It's a very popular show and even won an Emmy this year. Now that it's on Adult Swim, it can be shown in a proper timeslot on a consistent basis. CN knew what it was doing when it bought exclusive broadcast rights to this show.

Anyway, my comment on Adult Swim's new schedule:

Personally, I'm all for it. Yes, I will no longer be able to watch my shows on the weekend, when I'm free, but this move shows that Adult Swim is now an integral part of Cartoon Network. Before it felt like a sideshow pushed off in convenient time slots. But now it's expanded, and things can only go uphill from here. More shows, more advertisers, more everything. That's my view.
Hotaru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:47 pm Reply with quote
you know what they should show on adult swim? family guy. man, that show was hilarious! love hina on tv? that'd be the day. but they take long enough getting the DVD'S OUT! HEY BEST BUY, You LISTENING!?

dvd's get there a month later than they should. graaaa. gatekeepers volume seven (i think) was supposed to be out by now. is it there? nooo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, CN is usually pretty good with schedule press releases. That will most likely at least be the beginning schedule for it. Sure, it'll change with time, but so does every schedule.

I also think it'll be awhile before GITS and Big O 2 gets on CN. IIRC, GITS was supposed to be here first, but it's already showing in Japan.

And I think that moving to weekdays will seriously hurt AS. College students may be able to stay up to watch it, but us working dogs will have to record it and that doesn't usually count in the ratings game. Not to mention that it'll also have to compete with the already established late night shows. I wonder how many people will stop watching David Letterman or Jay Leno to was AS....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cgoten

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Shadowwave wrote:

TNN has their animation blocks set up for 1st quarter 2003.

Really? Do you know what they'll be showing?

Hotaru wrote:

you know what they should show on adult swim? family guy. man, that show was hilarious!

I love that show! I have a bunch of episodes on my computer. "They all looked at me and saw a loser. Except that guy with the lazy eye, he looked at me and saw a loser and a snack machine."

Hotaru wrote:

but they take long enough getting the DVD'S OUT! HEY BEST BUY, You LISTENING!?

Hmmm.... The Best Buy near me always has the new Love Hina DVDs the day (or one day after) they come out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:50 pm Reply with quote
The new TNN animation block will have shows including "Ren and Stimpy" uncut (meaning episodes and scenes you wouldn't find on Nickelodeon) as well as "Gary the Rat" and "Stripperella".

"Gary the Rat" stars a lawyer who one days wakes up as a human rat. He's voiced by Kelsey Grammar of "Frasier".

"Stripperella" is about a girl who's a stripper by night, a crime fighter by later night. The show is created by Stan Lee (of "Spiderman" fame) and the lead will be voiced by Pamela Lee Anderson.

I can't remember the other shows, but they do not have any anime in their initial lineup. To be perfectly honest, I feel this is a blatant attempt to cash in on Adult Swim's success. I mean, "Striperella"...come on, are they that desperate to appeal to the lowest common denominator?

Right now, we don't know what the block will be like, but since TNN isn't an animation network and thus has no experience with animation of any kind, I don't have that that much faith in it. But they just might prove me wrong.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:35 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:

"Stripperella" is about a girl who's a stripper by night, a crime fighter by later night. The show is created by Stan Lee (of "Spiderman" fame) and the lead will be voiced by Pamela Lee Anderson.

*LOL* I now know why Stan has that goofy smile on his face.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BigDawg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:06 am Reply with quote
No more Yu Yu? Dont tell me Ill have to settle for subbed copies of the rest of the series? What are they thinking? Rolling Eyes
Cgoten

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:17 pm Reply with quote
BigDawg wrote:

No more Yu Yu? Dont tell me Ill have to settle for subbed copies of the rest of the series? What are they thinking? Rolling Eyes

Well to try to make things sound better, at least DVDs are better than watching it on TV...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2