• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Most Anticipated Anime of Summer 2024

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:42 am Reply with quote
I am very interested in finding out what happens next with Oshi no Ko, but I am finding this upcoming season rather underwhelming so far. 2.5 Seduction and Dungeon People are ones I could see myself really liking, but there isn't much that excites me.

And I don't think I am burned out by Monogatari, but I feel done with it.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:45 am Reply with quote
I'm most interested in Shoshimin, Makeine and Narenare as of now, but I'm still doing my best to catch up with spring season, mostly on Eupho and GBC as a priority.

EDIT: Also I'm wondering whether there needs to be more Monogatari, isn't it basically done with Zoku? At least on Koyomi's front.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:50 am Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
EDIT: Also I'm wondering whether there needs to be more Monogatari, isn't it basically done with Zoku? At least on Koyomi's front.

Apparently Nisio Isin keeps writing to this day more novels but with an adult Araragi which is why these previews of younger characters bother me.
Kalhiki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:55 am Reply with quote
Aside from the big hitters like Oshi no Ko, Nier, and Monogatari, I think Elusive Samurai is the one I'm most looking forward to. Kinda flying blind, but the trailers look gorgeous. Hope I enjoy it for how excited I am for it.
Senpai is an Otokonoko too, but I read the manga, so already know what to expect. Nevertheless, happy to see the adaptation!
LukaTheLancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:42 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
utawoutau wrote:
Anyone else feel burned by Monogatari? I feel like the anime is released in of spurts across movies and tv in such a way that it feels like they almost don’t want me to watch it or understand it.

Owarimonogatari felt like the closing book to at least Araragi's high school life but sadly the teaser or promo don't show his adult life but instead repetitions of the school students. Monogatari really needs a reboot by portraying Araragi as a college student interacting with new people besides Senjougahara.

Off Season was meant as a spin off season hints it's name, and the same was meant to be the case with Monster Seaon, but Monster Season has turned into Season 4 of the series with Koyomi and Hitagi in collage, the Sixth and newest season in the novels is called ispoiler[Family Season and starts with the wedding of Hitagi and Koyomi]
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:49 pm Reply with quote
My first real anime love (although I had seen anime all the way back to Speed Racer in the early '70s) was Bakemonogatari. However, I had kind of been hoarding the last several skeins as a rainy day watch. So the new series will be added to that list. It's release might have inspired me to rewatch from the beginning and then to the unwatched stuff, except flippin' Crunchyroll hasn't uploaded the final three episodes of Bakemonogatari (kind of a big deal, narratively), so that kind of scotches that. The Brit blu rays are so much cheaper--if not cheap--than the US ones that I'll probably end up buying an all region player and the procuring the entire series that way. But that's for another day.

Nothing really grabs me, including any of the returning shows. (Meanwhile, fall has like half a dozen of them I'm looking forward to.) The Deer anime looks potentially great, so we'll see. I like isekais (yes, it's all my fault), so hopefully we'll get one good enough to fall into the Eminence in Shadow / Tsukimichi / Reincarnated as a Sword level. I don't need them all to be masterpieces like Mushoku Tensei, but something fun with likable characters and at least some competent writing would be nice. I have no interest in Suicide Squad, though. DC really isn't my bag, and I much prefer the Bruce Timm Harley to the revamped punkish one. However, I hope it's good for the people who want to see it.

Past that my preferred genres are romcoms and slice of life, so I'll watch all those and hope something catches my fancy. I guess I have fairly high hopes for Narenare -Cheer for You!-, because I like all of PA Works' female-lead slice of life shows.

Man, JC Staff sure is busy these days.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I think Tower of God 2 is number 1 for me, but I’m extremely curious about Suicide Squad.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:15 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1:

Quote:
I think Tower of God 2 is number 1 for me

I'm mildly interested in this, since the first season ended on such a cliffhanger that heralded a radical change in the main character (I'm assuming). But it's been a while--four years!--so I can't wait I've been waiting with bated breath. Man, remember when this, God of High School, and....whatever that third manhwa one was, it was the most boring of the three...were going to change anime forever? Yeah, not so much. I guess now we can add Solo Leveling to the list. I actually basically liked three of those, and the fights in GoHS are still pretty great, but I can't say any of those shows were game-changers.
Glordit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
I'm mildly interested in this, since the first season ended on such a cliffhanger that heralded a radical change in the main character (I'm assuming). But it's been a while--four years!--so I can't wait I've been waiting with bated breath. Man, remember when this, God of High School, and....whatever that third manhwa one was, it was the most boring of the three...were going to change anime forever? Yeah, not so much. I guess now we can add Solo Leveling to the list. I actually basically liked three of those, and the fights in GoHS are still pretty great, but I can't say any of those shows were game-changers.

Nobleese! That show was absolute cheese. The manwha was pretty fun.

On topic: I can't really choose a "most anticipated" because I look forward to almost everything, every season. If I had to choose, Elf-san wa Yaserarenai, Sengoku Youko, Nokotan. Tower of God and Nige Jouzu no Wakagimi.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Glordit helps a brother out:

Quote:
Nobleese!

Yes, that was it! Thanks, Glordit. The overly low-energy, stiffnecked hero of that one kind of reminds me of the recast Anos from the currently running second season of Misfit of Demon King Academy. Went from a show I quite liked to one that bored the pants off me. Noblesse too, except for the "show I quite liked" part. It was especially disappointing because people kept saying Noblesse would be the best of the three shows, and it was easily the worst. I mean, it wasn't terrible, but it was pretty dull.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Do I expect it to be as touching as the bizarrely similarly premised Nichijou - My Ordinary Life manga? No, but I imagine there will be enough laughs from this anime's off-kilter humor to compensate.

Oh...you absolutely should. Nokotan manga, despite some absolutely surreal, lunatic and downright insane plots and shenanigans, is a coming-of-age story about some high school girls learning the importance of acceptance and growth in the core. Do not be surprised if you shred a few tears of happiness by the end of season, because this one is capable of doing that
#Droneku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that the Kengan Ashura reviewer want to watch more, at least know we know his fetish.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Dahlia in Bloom. I’ve long wondered what North Korean anime looks like. :wink:
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:23 pm Reply with quote
When I first heard about the Suicide Squad isekai I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough but I admit I am kind of looking forward to it the more I've thought about it and the closer it's gotten to release. I'm a sucker who reads comics and one of the biggest problems (particularly as comics have become more and more corporate and marketable over time) is that things never really change long term... at least in the main universes. So it makes any what-ifs/elseworlds inherently interesting because things can change. Characters can have wildly different characterizations or designs, or they can die and not come back (of course, I'm pretty sure Harley Quinn is safe since she's been the biggest name on the SS squad for a long time now and in multiple mediums), and of course the whole fantasy aspect will be neat too.

Ultimately if it can be half as fun as Batman Ninja (which was no masterpiece but was very dumb fun) I'll probably be quite pleased.

#Droneku wrote:
I can't believe that the Kengan Ashura reviewer want to watch more, at least know we know his fetish.

Sunk cost fallacy is a real thing and it's gotten me to finish more than a few shows I went from being real into to hating. It was the only thing that got me through the end of Naruto (thankfully I never started Boruto because I have heard that is a real hot mess).
Flash33

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:25 pm Reply with quote
For me of the ones mentioned here I'm looking forward to Oshi No Ko S2, Our Last Crusade or The Rise of a New World S2 & Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest the most. While I did enjoy Tower of God S1 I'm also well aware that fans of the source material weren't too pleased due to how much it crammed and cut to fit into just 12 episodes. Will S2 fix those issues? Probably not but we'll see how it goes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3