• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Silent Hill 2 Remake's Trailer Reveals October 8 Launch

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 2:18 pm Reply with quote
funkfoot wrote:
I still have no idea how Bloober landed this gig. It's almost criminal how badly Silent Hill has been treated for decades now. Not a fan of all these remakes of old, good games that end up looking worse and completely missing the point of the original in general.

What was the point of the original game beyond being a surreal survival horror game?

What you and others might’be gotten out of the original game mihht not be what everyone else got.

danpmss wrote:
Nah, that user has a point. Those crappy practices should be called out at all times.

For what?

Prevalent and at times justified as the criticism for this stuff is it’s not going to change anything. Not to mention what was anyone expecting from Konami? 110% less scumminess? Especially with how lackluster the MGS collection was.

Traptrix Lover wrote:
I see one of these remakes and notice all the things they changed in the new version for modern audiences all I can do is think of that one Simpsons scene where they edited Gone With the Wind and then Hans Moleman gets carted off by nurses and treated as crazy when he notices the difference..

I don’t think that’s the thing we should be comparing this to considering when Gone In The Wind itself was made. Complaining about newer versions of old things is fine from time to time but let’s not pretend that all of the old stuff had elements that aged well, if the shit was acceptable even in it’s time.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Wangen wrote:
Stop gloryfying old things like they are above being improved by modern technology.

Well, it really depends... we wouldn't want to end up with...

The only good remakes I've liked was the original Resident Evil Remake for Gamecube, and Shadow of the Colossus for PS4.

Modernizing graphically, some control/UI tweaks, while retaining the essence of the original.

Sometimes modernizing too much can break the gameplay loop, like Twin Snakes did on Gamecube versus the original PSOne Metal Gear Solid. Not to mention the cutscene styles make them two entirely different products that depart heavily from each other.

This Remake of Silent Hill 2 will essentially feel a lot like a different game, there is some stuff I dig, and other stuff I don't. I wouldn't mind it, if Sony continued to support disc based PSOne and 2 backwards compatibility with upscaling like the original PS3 did, or if Konami could do a competent job of properly porting the classic titles so that everyone can win.

I do look forward to new games like Silent Hill Townfall and Silent Hill f.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2