• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Spice & Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf TV Anime Airs in April

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vercinto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:

I don't know if this is really a controversial opinion, but I don't think most classic series really need a remake at all. They're still great as they are; just give them a remaster from the original sources and make them available through modern services.

We all want to see our wolf goddess in 4k with HDR, but the problem with remaking a beloved classic is that so much more that goes into making it than just the resolution of the video stream. It's easy to see from looking at other modern remakes that it's nearly impossible to reproduce the exact same combination of writing, music, voice acting, sound design, and even the zeitgeist that made the original as good as it was. I would almost always rather see a studio produce something new than try to remake something that already exists.
Nobody wants to watch anime older than 5 years nowadays.

Why do you think there is so much clickbait titles of remakes, why every anituber talks about them, and why every remake announcement gets thousands of likes on Twitter, and Reddit?

And in general, why remakes are so popular?

Because people DO want them; whether they will surpass original old versions, or be bad is a completely different matter altogether.

But one thing IS for sure, no matter how legendary, and high quality those originals were years ago, very small number of people will go out of their way to even check them out, especially in the current era when there is more choice than ever before.

Last edited by Vercinto on Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Vercinto wrote:

Speak for yourself, because you certainly don't speak for me, or any of the people I know who watch anime.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Vercinto wrote:
And in general, why remakes are so popular?

Because corporations are creatively bankrupt and would rather get diminishing returns on a property that has an established reputation and a built-in fanbase than gamble on a new creative work.

Honestly, I don't mind the occasional reboot, if the previous adaptation was flawed in some major way (unfinished, anime original endings, severe pacing issues in the case of One Piece, etc.). But I struggle to look at one anime I've seen from your list that needs a remake, and as to your argument that "nobody watches anime that's more than 5 years old"...bullshit? If that was true, Sentai wouldn't have gotten a ton of backlash for removing their older series from HiDive without warning, and CR/Funimation wouldn't spend nearly as much money retaining their copyrights. Hell, I still remember the backlash when FMA: Brotherhood was getting removed from Funimation and its Blu Rays were being discontinued by Aniplex, both decisions that they reversed upon and now sell year-round.
Vercinto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Speak for yourself, because you certainly don't speak for me, or any of the people I know who watch anime.
I was just being hyperbolic for the sake of argument; yeah, there are people who watch those, but in all honesty, their number is insignificant when it comes to making money.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Finally! I never gave up hope!

Now, the biggest thing left on my probably impossible wishlist is a full adaptation of Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu. But even I'm not holding my breath there, sadly...

Vanadise wrote:
Vercinto wrote:
Other remakes I would like to see:

I don't know if this is really a controversial opinion, but I don't think most classic series really need a remake at all. They're still great as they are; just give them a remaster from the original sources and make them available through modern services.

We all want to see our wolf goddess in 4k with HDR, but the problem with remaking a beloved classic is that so much more that goes into making it than just the resolution of the video stream. It's easy to see from looking at other modern remakes that it's nearly impossible to reproduce the exact same combination of writing, music, voice acting, sound design, and even the zeitgeist that made the original as good as it was. I would almost always rather see a studio produce something new than try to remake something that already exists.

I don't really care about the remake part, I could take out leave it, but I really want to see the rest of the story animated.

If that requires them to remake the parts covered by the original anime, because it's just been that damned long, that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Then give me a full adaptation of DenYuuDen. Then MaoYuu. Then the billion others I can't think of right now. Maybe a full, proper adaptation of Hayate no Gotoku, so that we can all pretend everything after the second season was just a terrible nightmare. Again, for me, personally, I don't need a remake, just a continuation. But, for it to make sense financially, they are pretty much going to need to do remakes, because too many people never saw the originals.

Maybe Yuu Yuu Hakusho, too, fully adapted? I'm getting greedy now...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Vercinto wrote:
I was just being hyperbolic for the sake of argument; yeah, there are people who watch those, but in all honesty, their number is insignificant when it comes to making money.

You sure about that? Because there have been a number of high-profile cases of new sequels to works that are a decade old, if not much longer, and if anything the trend seems to be accelerating as production companies cash in harder and harder on millennial nostalgia. On the US side of things, last year you have the direct sequel to a 36-year-old Tom Cruise vehicle released to box office dominance and critical acclaim, despite only working if you were familiar with the original (which I can guarantee you saw a huge spike in streaming as a result). Or how about another 80s classic, The Karate Kid, receiving a critically-praised sequel series in Cobra Kai? Or more topically, how about Bleach doing it right a decade after its original anime run concluded? There was no suggestion of "wait, we need to go back and start from scratch," the new adaptation picked up right where the old one left off, and it's still extremely popular. If you make a highly-anticipated sequel to an older good thing, plenty of people will go back and watch that older good thing so long as it's easily available.
Dynamo-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:13 pm Reply with quote
The one I’d want a remake of the most is hajime no ippo. The classic is still good but most of it hasn’t been dubbed and the original season animation is a bit outdated.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Jenog wrote:
Probably no one remembers this anime, because it's almost prehistoric, but what I'd like to see is a remake of Future Boy Conan!

The art style is dated, but everything else about it is a masterpiece.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Vercinto wrote:

It's less that, and more that a lot of potential viewers weren't around when the original aired, and it may not be as easily accessible to them (especially in Japan, where anime consumption isn't 99% streaming like currently in the West). People in Japan actually watch/record anime on TV and buy BDs, making watching an older series frequently have an actual financial cost.

A remake will be consumable beginning to end on TV and eventual BD releases. A continuation could require signing up for a streaming service (assuming one licensed it), or buying used BDs, just to see the first half of the story. Otherwise, you'd have to rely on manga/LNs, and there may be inconsistencies between them and the anime adaptation.

It's one thing for a series like Bleach, which had the market clout to just jump right back in, but for many, after so and so many years, starting from scratch is far less risky, even if it requires additional upfront investment for the parts being remade.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

I can't put my figer on it, but there's just something off about Holo in these promotional images. I think it's a combination of her hair being a very pale brown while the books describe it as "chestnut" so it should be a more redish brown which both the books and original anime captured well. Then there's her wolf ears, they just look like weirdly shaped hair, there's not real depth or detail to them. They're a little smaller than I prefer, too. I'm sure I'll adjust, like I said, most anticipated show.

Emerje

I can put my finger on it. There's no nose.
Vercinto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:02 pm Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:

It's less that, and more that a lot of potential viewers weren't around when the original aired, and it may not be as easily accessible to them (especially in Japan, where anime consumption isn't 99% streaming like currently in the West). People in Japan actually watch/record anime on TV and buy BDs, making watching an older series frequently have an actual financial cost.

A remake will be consumable beginning to end on TV and eventual BD releases. A continuation could require signing up for a streaming service (assuming one licensed it), or buying used BDs, just to see the first half of the story. Otherwise, you'd have to rely on manga/LNs, and there may be inconsistencies between them and the anime adaptation.

It's one thing for a series like Bleach, which had the market clout to just jump right back in, but for many, after so and so many years, starting from scratch is far less risky, even if it requires additional upfront investment for the parts being remade.
From what I saw on forums, and social media, quite a small percent of people are really interested in going out of their way to watch the old adaptations.

And it's not even only about dated visuals, but also that they want something recent, they wanna talk about it, predict what is gonna happen in the next episode, make memes, hear the currently popular seiyu voice characters, etc.

Giga popular classics like Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, and Naruto are fine, but everything else...

I do not think that anime is all that unavailable as you think nowadays; well, not counting stuff like Sazae-san, and Doraemon.

And since you mentioned Bleach, quite frankly, even though I myself never had problems with fillers, and original is still great, somehow, I don't think it would have been a bad idea if they actually decided to completely reboot the anime with the same approach they are doing with TYBW.

But all in all, let's be honest, when you take into consideration just how much anime is made nowadays, there actually aren't as many remakes per season as some people claim.

Not to mention, I would rather there be a new adaptation of Yugio! with original cast than yet another Dragon Quest isekai.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:56 pm Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:

I'm positive that if they're willing to start over again from the beginning they'd also be willing to just rebroadcast the original series over again. That's really not an option with such a different animation design direction with the new series.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Emerje wrote:

I can't put my figer on it, but there's just something off about Holo in these promotional images. I think it's a combination of her hair being a very pale brown while the books describe it as "chestnut" so it should be a more redish brown which both the books and original anime captured well. Then there's her wolf ears, they just look like weirdly shaped hair, there's not real depth or detail to them. They're a little smaller than I prefer, too. I'm sure I'll adjust, like I said, most anticipated show.

Emerje

I can put my finger on it. There's no nose.

That's not such a big deal, it's pretty common to only draw a nose from the side and use a single line from more direct angles. The first series and novels do the same thing.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NieR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Definitely want to watch the new Spice & Wolf anime.

As for anime remakes, one I'd really be interested in seeing is Soul Eater. Preferably with the same studio and Japanese voice actors though. I'd want it to be like a FMA Brotherhood-type series, that follows the manga more closely.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Or hey, how's about we stop remaking things that already got spectacular anime adaptations and just adapt more stuff. S&W has almost entirely self-contained story arcs. Just start off with the next novel that wasn't adopted yet and stop wasting everyone's time with an unnecessary retread.

You can do both.

It doesn’t have to just be one.

flamemasterelan wrote:
than gamble on a new creative work.

Which would itself potentially suffer the problem of feeling creatively bankruptcy and diminishing returns.

Everyone is gung-ho about getting new properties or adaptations of new stuff til they see the studio animating it, the director helming it, and stuff happening in the new work that they either hate or have already seen done in other works (usually better).

And then of course when the new thing doesn’t live up to the hype they had for it bury it for being underwhelming.
Daerian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Or hey, how's about we stop remaking things that already got spectacular anime adaptations and just adapt more stuff. S&W has almost entirely self-contained story arcs. Just start off with the next novel that wasn't adopted yet and stop wasting everyone's time with an unnecessary retread.

Not, it doesn't. There is clear progression of story and character dynamics. Not to mention next story arc to adapt was direct result of story arc that just happened at the end of Season 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5