• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PlayStation 4/5 to Stop Offering X/Twitter Integration

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:05 am Reply with quote
Avec ou Nous wrote:
It's always genuinely confusing to see people willingly choose to use an objectively worse site with less features, people, and functionality because of something like not liking the guy who runs the better platform.

People are leaving not because they don't like Elon (primarily), but because the platform has become an awful experience to use since he took over, regardless of its functionality. For reference:
- Bots are worse than ever; I get followed by multiple spam bots every day, I know some people who literally cannot post without getting reactions from spam bots
- Transphobia, Nazi propaganda, harassment, and various alt-right nuttery is rampant and never gets moderated
- API access is too expensive for hobbyists to play with and too expensive for businesses to support it
- Ads are becoming more frequent, and as major advertisers pull out, they're becoming increasingly filled with obvious scammers and crazy conspiracy theorists
- Features come, go, and are moved behind a paywall entirely at Elon's whims (circles, tweetdeck, engagement visibility...)

The Fediverse may be a smaller audience than Twitter, but it's a much more pleasant experience, and frankly, instances like Firefish, Misskey, or Akkoma have better feature sets than Twitter ever has. (sure, Bluesky is a shell of a Twitter clone and is likely to develop all of the same faults, but it's more pleasant for now and their invite system is driving a lot of people to it out of FOMO)
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:58 am Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
- Bots are worse than ever; I get followed by multiple spam bots every day, I know some people who literally cannot post without getting reactions from spam bots

This is just anecdotal evidence. Bots exist on every social media platform and have always been an issue on Twitter. Only caring about them now seems questionable.

Quote:
- Transphobia, Nazi propaganda, harassment, and various alt-right nuttery is rampant and never gets moderated

Again, political content has always existed on social media and Twitter. Before the buyout, people said the same thing about the platform only it was criticizing the platform for being bias towards left-leaning politics and censoring the other side. Understandably, that makes the people used to how things were upset, but as they always said in response: Twitter is a private company and can do whatever it wants so it's hard to really sympathize with these complainers when they were fine with it for years until it started happening to them. But just like back then, it's only the extremely political people who care about this stuff, it doesn't affect the average user who ignores political spats.

Quote:
- API access is too expensive for hobbyists to play with and too expensive for businesses to support it

Fair enough, although I can't say I ever really used this feature or any things that used it. I never touch the web or social media apps for non-PC devices, let alone consoles. I only use them to play games.

Quote:
- Ads are becoming more frequent, and as major advertisers pull out, they're becoming increasingly filled with obvious scammers and crazy conspiracy theorists

I'm not sure what ads you see but I just see ads for the usual McDonalds and other stuff. The only questionable ones I ever see are for CBD stuff but that's legal in a lot of places now even if I don't particularly care for it. Ad blockers are a thing if you don't want ads, though.

Quote:
- Features come, go, and are moved behind a paywall entirely at Elon's whims (circles, tweetdeck, engagement visibility...)

I can't say I ever used any of those. Although engagement visibility has always been an issue on the platform, only now you can pay the 8 dollars or whatever to get a blue check rather than it just being limited to special people so I don't see the issue. If you didn't have one before to get your stuff boosted then you likely never would have before it became a pay feature so it seems more fair to me even if I don't care for it. But it's good for smaller creators.

Quote:
The Fediverse may be a smaller audience than Twitter, but it's a much more pleasant experience, and frankly, instances like Firefish, Misskey, or Akkoma have better feature sets than Twitter ever has. (sure, Bluesky is a shell of a Twitter clone and is likely to develop all of the same faults, but it's more pleasant for now and their invite system is driving a lot of people to it out of FOMO)

Misskey is the only one I've used, and it's nice since it's run by a cool Japanese guy who actively gatekeeps Twitter culture and westerners who try to spread it from his platform. It's a haven for Japanese artists tired of being harassed and criticized by English speakers, but that's been a thing happening for years and has nothing to do with Elon Musk or recent changes. That's a niche I'm interested in, but I don't see it being interesting for most people or companies as a whole.

I agree social media is pretty bad, but it's pretty clear when a lot of people's criticisms are just stemming from personal politics and hangups rather than genuine issues that have always existed with them. If people want a smaller social media site dedicated to their specific political leanings or niches then I can see those things being useful and entertaining, but the average person who doesn't base their social media experience off of those things and just want to talk about movies, games, and other everyday stuff it's not going to be very useful I imagine. I go on Misskey to see and discuss Japanese fanart, but that's about all I use it for and everything else is back on the mainstream platforms.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:34 pm Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:
Again, political content has always existed on social media and Twitter. Before the buyout, people said the same thing about the platform only it was criticizing the platform for being bias towards left-leaning politics and censoring the other side.

Yes and that was wasn’t true even then. Twitter was never a left leaning site that unfairly targeted those with right leaning views before Elon took over. But the very blatant pandering to certain people with unquestionably shitty views has gotten noticeably worse since the takeover.
FeelMyBlade wrote:
But just like back then, it's only the extremely political people who care about this stuff, it doesn't affect the average user who ignores political spats.

Lol average people by and large don’t ignore “political spats” or rather what they perceive to be “Political” if they did we would stop having many of these “average” people stop thinking that LGBTQ people or ethnic groups wanting to be treated like human beings is somehow political. Or stop insisting that both/all sides in politics are trash while clearly showing favoritism to one of the two sides they insist they hate or using questionable talking points propagated by one of the two sides.

FeelMyBlade wrote:
Misskey is the only one I've used, and it's nice since it's run by a cool Japanese guy who actively gatekeeps Twitter culture and westerners who try to spread it from his platform. It's a haven for Japanese artists tired of being harassed and criticized by English speakers

So it presumably would not be safe from critics from Japan or people from other non western countries like South Korea, China, etc?
Andrew Wonderful

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:01 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
So it presumably would not be safe from critics from Japan or people from other non western countries like South Korea, China, etc?

If you mean a hypothetical scenario where Japanese users are the ones acting like their overseas critics then no, that would not be allowed either. One of the tips you see when you sign up for Misskey is to leave the culture of other social media platforms at the door and to just keep scrolling or use the hide/ignore functions if you see content you dislike rather than complaining about it or attacking people over it. Although those tips are written in English and not Japanese so I would guess Japanese users acting like that is probably not a big concern they have and it's general etiquette they tend to follow already. The only issue I've heard with Misskey is some overseas artists not properly tagging their content appropriately so people who do not wish to see certain content are unable to filter it properly. In that case those accounts run the risk of being banned for repeated infractions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2