• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action One Piece Series Debuts at #1 on Netflix's Global English TV Rankings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:37 pm Reply with quote
A part of me is wondering if Netflix is starting to sweat a bit.

Like, did they want this to succeed? Sure.

But now they are looking at something that's a big enough success (probably) where if they don't follow through with future seasons, they're going to face serious wrath from people. No one cared when Cowboy Bebop didn't get a full adaptation. But this?

It's not like some original series or even something like Game of Thrones where there's like, maybe 6-7 seasons of content to get through... We're looking at an essentially unending amount of production on this. And this isn't a cheap show to make either. It isn't going to get cheaper to make... The environments are all so unique, the production cost is just gonna go up probably...

Does Netflix has what it takes to go the long haul on a series like this? I suppose we will see!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:50 pm Reply with quote
They'll have their hands full getting through Chopper and Baroque Works.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:55 pm Reply with quote
andramus wrote:
I suppose there were two reasons this article rubbed me the way wrong way and they sort of fed into each other.

The first reason is that the numbers mean absolutely nothing to me.

That's by design. Netflix loves to be secretive about their numbers and what they really mean. Unlike traditional TV networks they aren't required to make ratings public so they usually don't, and when they do it's with as little context as possible.

The fact that they are releasing numbers at all means One Piece must have been a big success. They have no reason to release numbers other than to brag.
liatris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
andramus wrote:
I suppose there were two reasons this article rubbed me the way wrong way and they sort of fed into each other.

The first reason is that the numbers mean absolutely nothing to me.

That's by design. Netflix loves to be secretive about their numbers and what they really mean. Unlike traditional TV networks they aren't required to make ratings public so they usually don't, and when they do it's with as little context as possible.

The fact that they are releasing numbers at all means One Piece must have been a big success. They have no reason to release numbers other than to brag.

No, Netflix now has a website that constantly publishes the weekly Top 10 (see source link in this article), so just because the numbers are published does not make them special.
It is a good number, definitely one of the best compared to past Netflix blockbusters (of course, it is not as good as Wensday, etc. I believe Wend's Day had over 300 million hours watched in its first five days).
But the problem is with the production costs. One Piece has a horrendous production cost, if the published budget is correct. Therefore, it is important to maintain the viewing time per month to see if the green light to Season 2 will be turned on.

As an aside, I think this article is fine as a breaking news article. However, it would be interesting to see an article somewhere predicting whether or not Season 2 will be produced.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:21 pm Reply with quote
If they are making a season 2, then I feel its gonna be a nightmare to fit Chopper inside. I can only imagine him as a walking CGI monstrosity & he has to be in most scenes since he's a member of the crew. The fact that they completely wrote off the dancing lion in Buggy's crew which was supposed to play a part in the arc, doesn't strike me with much confidence either.
StarDango

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
If they are making a season 2, then I feel its gonna be a nightmare to fit Chopper inside. I can only imagine him as a walking CGI monstrosity & he has to be in most scenes since he's a member of the crew. The fact that they completely wrote off the dancing lion in Buggy's crew which was supposed to play a part in the arc, doesn't strike me with much confidence either.

My friends and I were thinking the same thing. Now, we’re all One Piece fans and absolutely loved the live-action (which surprised me.) To the point where we all agreed we’d like to see how far it can go.

But then you have to think about characters like Chopper. Or, if they actually make it that far, characters like Brook and Gecko Moria. Now, I actually like how the Fishmen looked in live-action. I also liked how they didn’t over do it with the CGI, even if that meant the characters weren’t going to look as buff and gigantic like they do in 2D.

But I don’t think they can get away with regular Chopper using a little CGI, good make up and practical effects. They’re going to need someone in one of those motion capture suits.

Or use a muppet.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:

I feel like the worry/speculation about Chopper is a little overblown, cute CG cartoon critter interacting with real people has pretty much been a genre for ages now and things like Detective Pikachu and Sonic prove it can be done well. Weather or not they do CG or puppetry or something I don't think it will be much of an issue - I'm more curious what he'll look like than anything. They can probably get away with doing some of his alternate forms with a guy in a costume/prosthetics as they did with the Fishmen.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:10 am Reply with quote
andramus wrote:
The second reason is that this article feels more like a regurgitated press release than a meaningful news piece. For me personally the article would have been more worthwhile if there had been a deep dive into and analysis of the numbers that provided me with context as to why those numbers are good.

All of that said articles like this one are a dime a dozen and I usually let them slide without saying anything. Today I just felt the mood hit me to comment on it but I'm not really up in arms about it.

I mean, this is a news site. It's here to report news, not to write an essay about every piece of news that happens.
Also, Netflix does not share a lot of numbers, so I don't think it'd be possible for someone to do a deep dive on it at this point anyway. You can only go off of what Netflix has provided. Maybe it could've listed some of the comparisons that have been mentioned in this thread (like Bebop), but that still won't be a proper analysis.
But again. This is just a news article. Not an analysis. Journalists aren't paid to do deep dives on everything (unless you work somewhere where that is literally what they do every single time)
RandomCommenter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:52 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I think 'views' in this case has the specific meaning I gave above, from the THR article (in my final edit). Something like "summing over the percentage of the show watched by each person, how many times was the show watched in full?", if I'm understanding it correctly. i,.e., you watch the first half, I watch the second half (or we both watch the first half); together, we're "1 view".

The total hours watched figure also is much easier to compare to figures from other shows (see my and Rapscallion's posts above).

The only metric netflix provides is hours viewed, "Views" is just an extrapolation which works by dividing hours viewed by runtime so people can have an easier time comparing it to other series with different runtimes. So basically yeah, if you both watch half a season, that's a view, because you made up the whole runtime as 2. It doesn't say anything about how many viewers completed the show, or how many viewers only watched a portion or whatnot. It's purely a mathematical extrapolation for easier comparisons.

The reason why it's useful is that longer series obviously have an easier time racking up hours watched and while it's obviously an important metric (Netflix wants you to be engaged for longer after all), it's far more interesting when you put it in context to its runtime.

Anyway, it seems like a good debut and I expect the series will be renewed, though it's probably not quite the huge smash Netflix was hoping for with the mega-budget and push, IMO. I assume they were probably hoping for numbers that would allow this series to hang closer to Witcher, though since this series seems to be very well-received and less likely to be struck with disaster in subsequent seasons than Witcher, there could very well be some room to grow with season 2.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:39 am Reply with quote
It seems to have significantly outperformed the Witcher season 3, although that's after several seasons of that show presumably losing viewers as it became clear it was always going to be pretty inconsistent, and definitely not the next Game of Thrones.

Do we have comparative evidence on OP's "mega budget"? How does its cost, so far, compare to these other shows that we have views / hours watched figures for?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:50 am Reply with quote
Wednesday is the new Stranger Things as it runs circles around these numbers. More importantly, OP easily overtook the rather costly Sandman in week 1. Another comic epic. It got renewed after lengthy negotiations. There is also astronomical growth compared to Bebopop. Live-action Animanga taking over streaming won´t happen just yet unless the show explodes in week 2 and the gaming-related Pokemon by Netflix is now the next golden goose candidate. The value of such productions is now proven on the other hand as Netflix secured tons of such rights and the more important completion rate remains a mystery. The show so far is a success but not a capital H hit. These are H I T S: https://deadline.com/2022/11/wednesday-breaks-record-most-hours-viewed-netflix-ratings-1235184006/

S2 is 99,9% happening but this project needs back-to-back season orders greenlit due to how complex it will become to shoot (storing sets and large props is costly), the age of the cast (Nami´s actress just turned 30, I like this but the weeb market won´t) and how many of the future arcs are a must to adapt in some form.

Release window numbers for flops, Bebop and Resident Evil are examples, are easy to come by. What Netflix doesn´t release are breakdowns of what any of that means and it´s impossible to find out how a show is doing a bit after launch. Is Bojack Horseman a valuable catalog title in 2023 in the way Friends or X-Files re-runs made bank? Who knows. The biggest problem as this: If a user watches at least two minutes of a movie, TV show, or original series, it counts as a view.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/netflix-doubles-down-on-two-minute-rule-for-view-c/1100-6473010/
It´s crazy easy to cook the books with metrics like this but Netflix is the ONE large streaming platform proven to be profitable in 2022/23. The company being a box of secrets has to play some role. Entering the market before it existed and having nothing else going on after they stopped their disc service of course helps. Disney for example can´t carry 2 streamers (Hulu), of which one arrived at the party too late, while doing another trillion things at once.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:10 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The biggest problem as this: If a user watches at least two minutes of a movie, TV show, or original series, it counts as a view.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/netflix-doubles-down-on-two-minute-rule-for-view-c/1100-6473010/

I saw this while digging around online previously, but I don't think it's correct; or, rather, I think it may just be outdated -- that link is from 2020, while the other definition of 'View' a few of us have provided in the thread can be sourced from 2023 links. From those more recent sources, I think a 'View' in the case of the current top-10 weekly Netflix ranking is (total hours watched by all viewers) / show run-time.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:23 am Reply with quote
Let´s see. The switchover was this summer:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/netflix-viewership-data-metric-explained-1235521282/
To be fair, Netflix’s new math on views is much easier to understand than some of its old metrics. Before it switched to hours viewed in the fall of 2021 — on the heels of Squid Game’s runaway success — Netflix employed two different “view” standards, both of which said very little about the totality of viewing for its catalog. First, it counted a view when any member account that completed 70 percent of a movie or 70 percent of a single TV series episode. In the last quarter of 2019, it switched to counting two minutes of any title — long enough to show “intent” to watch, the company said — as a view. The 70 percent standard made little sense for TV series in particular, and the two-minute count was more akin to view tallies on YouTube (where 30 seconds of watching counts as a view) and social media platforms.

Note how analytics services gestimations kinda forced their hand. More fodder for the strike. Switching how success or failure is calculated every 2 years isn´t fair, to put it mildly. And is the new model "transparent"... nah. Netflix seems to be the studio least willing to negotiate as they have foreign shows (UK shows count) and an ever-growing non-scripted segment that can´t be affected by any strike to hold them over. WB on the other hand revealed to have lost about half a billion through the strike. Good! Only 1 of the 2 OP showrunners is on strike btw. S2 pre-production can somewhat start.
Anyway, OP and Wednesday are comparable 1 to 1 as their metrics were determined under the same conditions and the Witcher ship began to take water with S3 Part 1. An opening in the market for high-effort & length shows such as OP or Sandman.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:33 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:30 am Reply with quote
One Piece soared to the top of Netflix’s English-language TV charts during its premiere week with 18.5M views from August 28 to September 3. The live-action adaptation of Eiichiro Oda’s manga is in the Top 10 in 93 countries and No. 1 in 46 of them, according to Netflix.

As Deadline reported last week, the buzz for the series was already fairly high at launch, considering the manga and the anime version of the series already have a dedicated fan base. However, 18.5M views is not nearly as strong a start as many of Netflix’s more recent series that have made the all-time most popular list. For example, Wednesday boasted 341.23M hours viewed in its first week back in November 2022 — which would translate to about 43M views. Queen Charlotte drew about 148M hours viewed in its first week, which is about 24M views.

There is certainly time for the series to continue to gain traction, as word of mouth is often a big audience driver for Netflix.

That’s probably why Netflix’s most-viewed title for the week was Adam Sandler’s family comedy You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah, which drew 21.9M views in its second week on Netflix. Add that to the 12.3M views from its premiere week, and the film has now managed nearly 34M views.

It still has a ways to go before it would make it onto the most popular film list, considering the No. 10 spot is currently Extraction 2 with 270M views. There’s still plenty of time to go for both You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah and One Piece, thanks to the 91-day premiere window Netflix instituted a few months ago.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:54 am Reply with quote
So far

"What do Japanese Fans Think of One Piece Live Action Series?"

Quote:
One Piece Live Action Ratings In Japan

In Japan, Filmarks serves as the go-to platform for rating movies, TV shows, and anime, much like Rotten Tomatoes or IMDb in the West. On Filmarks, the “One Piece” live-action series holds a rating of 3.9 out of 5.

While this might seem below average compared to other ongoing American series—such as “Star Wars: Ahsoka” at 4.3/5 and “Wednesday” at 4.2/5—it’s worth noting that the “One Piece” anime itself has a rating of 4.1/5, which is impressive given its long run.

What Japanese Fans Are Saying

One reviewer praised the series, stating, “In a world where bad live actions are commonplace, ‘One Piece’ stands out as extremely well-made, thanks in part to Eiichiro Oda’s involvement. However, it can’t fully capture the charm of the original manga.”

Another fan appreciated Netflix’s approach: “I had no expectations but ended up binge-watching the series. They didn’t overreach in adapting the challenging parts, focusing instead on getting the important elements right.”

Calls for a second season are also emerging. One fan noted, “The characters fit well within the manga’s universe and exceeded my expectations. I’m eager for a continuation.”

https://filmarks.com/dramas/11214/15574
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4