• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NieR:Automata Ver 1.1a Anime Airs Final 4 Episodes on July 23

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:38 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Beloved video game adaptations are never really the next big thing. For as popular as Persona 5 the video game was, for instance, the P5 anime didn't really have any impact.
Well, not really - Cyberpunk Edgerunners was a quite BIG thing just last year, even if it was supplementary material - to the point that it had quite the impact on the game sales recovery - while P5 anime was pretty mediocre at best and barely made to stand out on its own.

But yeah, that solely depends on the quality - which, ironically, most video game adaptations really lack, outside of some VN adaptations. NieR anime though by itself, was actually really interesting with some twists and implications here and there that indicate it as not being a straight adaptation of the game but still following its core, which honestly made it good for everyone, but Aniplex really, REALLY screwed up with it's production.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow, these repeated posts.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:41 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Wow, these repeated posts.
Yeah, some kind of weird issue on servers during the post replying happens Confused
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:24 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
NWhat about Cyberpunk: Edgerunners? What about it!

Keep in mind that Cyberpunk is a tabletop RPG that has been around since 1988, and both the video game Cyberpunk 2077 and the anime Cyberpunk: Edgerunners were based on it. The anime was never intended as an adaptation of the video game.

Anyway, exactly what count as a "hit" is relative and there have been various anime adaptations of games that were successful to some degree or another. I'm obligated to point out that the 2006 anime adaptation of Utawarerumono, originally a 2002 visual novel, is generally considered to be very good; it was at least popular enough that they later went on to make more anime based on the sequels, I still see it get mentioned often when people talk about classic fantasy anime series, and there's a good case to be made that it's more enjoyable to watch that than it is to play the 2002 game (but I wouldn't say the same of the sequels).
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

Considering it airs at midnight, that's really early.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Beloved video game adaptations are never really the next big thing. For as popular as Persona 5 the video game was, for instance, the P5 anime didn't really have any impact.

That's because P4/5 animes sucked. The whole empty protag idea from the game doesn't work in a show. Anime needs an actual protag who is a character with relationships that matter. Things need to be changed to accomodate a show. Maybe an actual couple emerges, maybe the other characters might take an interest in each other and there'd be multiple dynamics even with side characters (like Nier is actually doing) that happen without the MC being around, as if they were independent people in an actual world, but nooooo, wouldn't want to upset the other girl fanbases! So goodbye any serious romantic tension/drama that would make it interesting or side character development or realistic world building.

Nier at least has actual characters and the show was creating new content while changing other stuff and still managed to be faithful to the source material. Persona never had the balls, and the production and animation wasn't great either considering the popularity of the franchise, so clearly neither the committee nor staff really cared and knew it was just a carbon copy comercial product. It's a shame that Nier's production got screwed, but you can tell these guys were trying and even the delay tells us they won't allow themselves to half ass it.
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:32 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY!! It's about [expletive] TIME!!

Now I wonder how soon before when/IF we get part 2.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:03 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
There has never been a direct game adaptation in anime form that became a true "hit". Never ever.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/9253/Steins_Gate

(prepare to be bombarded with “that doesn’t count!”…)
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Hi all, thanks very much for all your comments about how episode 12 might not be the final episode. Me using the word "final" in this article was an unfortunate assumption on my part; as this isn't the first time this has happened with a delayed anime where the anime airs all the rest of the episodes all at once as a special, I was under the assumption that these were the final episodes.

But to be clear, the anime staff did not specifically state that episodes 9-12 were the final episodes in its news post. The news post stated that broadcast information aside from the exact channels and times listed for episodes 9-12 will be announced at a later date; it is currently unclear if this is in regard to other channels airing those four episodes, or possible future episodes for the series.

As such, it is currently unclear if episode 12 will be the final episode of the series. The anime's website does not currently list any home video releases that may give insight into how many episodes the anime will have in total.

I changed the wording in the article and in the headline to reflect all this. My apologies for making that assumption that it was the final episodes. We'll be sure to write an update once we know one way or the other.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Cool. Here's hoping we get an S2, too, which tells the exact same story as S1 but from a slightly different perspective, to fully replicated route B.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Considering this is the staff of 86, that explains the delays. At least they are capable of adapting the ending (especially after ending b) which is sure was poweful.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Cool. Here's hoping we get an S2, too, which tells the exact same story as S1 but from a slightly different perspective, to fully replicated route B.

That would be endless 8 levels of awefulness if they did that, plus it’s unnecessary. Its already clear they have blended A and B.
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I hope this gets the full 24 episode release it was supposed to.

The problem is Aniplex likes to take any series that has trouble during its production run and burry it under 10ft of concrete so it will never see the light of day. good luck if you were expecting/hoping a home video release outside of Japan. its like they are embarrassed to show any weakness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2