• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai Anime Gets English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:37 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
appledude1221 productions wrote:
This is absolutely not fair, Every show from Toei animation gets dubbed except precure and toei won't promote it outside Japan, they are just not trying to expand precure globally with the reiwa period. I feel like Toei is just trying to avoid dealing with international precure fans ignoring their wishes. I feel like Toei is dubbing all their shows except precure, this is very unfair to fans. I wish Toei Animation ill will because of this greed

To be fair they have tried twice.

Once with the original precure, which even aired on tv back in 2009 then again with Smile Precure which aired on Netflix under the name Glitter Force. But it doesn't seem like the show attracted much of an audience in either case.

That's because Toei partnered with Saban Brands, and with that came censorship and trimming down of episodes. If Toei partnered up with another company to dub it, say Crunchyroll, it would be a big deal.

That's just optimistic thinking.

Censorship does very little to contribute to a shows lack of popularity. Just look at Cardcaptors, really popular despite butchering the original Japanese version.

Besides Crunchyroll was still a fairly new platform back then so I doubt it was a real option. If they tried again today then Crunchyroll might be a good idea but Toei doesn't always make the best decisions.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I hope Dragon Quest getting a dub means the show will get a BD release too and it's great hearing Brian Drummond in an anime again.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Rejected! It's not an authentic Dragon Quest dub unless they give every character a British accent for no reason.

Lol! Personally I'm fine with it since the partial dub of Dragon Quest Legend of the Hero Abel AKA Dragon Warrior didn't have British accents either, except for possibly Yanuck who sounded a bit Bostonian if anything to my ears.

Undecided if I'll rewatch the series in English though. Currently happy reliving the adventure by reading the manga.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Wait, is this from the Blue Water part of Ocean? Because I still haven't forgiven them for the Zeta Gundam dub. And it's been, like, 17 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:15 pm Reply with quote
If this is finally getting released, wonder if they'll actually do something with the Digimon Adventure 2020 dub that they announced eight months ago and never spoke of again.
merr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:33 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wait, is this from the Blue Water part of Ocean? Because I still haven't forgiven them for the Zeta Gundam dub. And it's been, like, 17 years.

No, it’s got Vancouver actors and directors.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Rejected! It's not an authentic Dragon Quest dub unless they give every character a British accent for no reason.

None of the DQ anime dubs have been done in the UK. Abel's show obviously predates the games' dubs. Netflix seems to be allergic to dubbing anime outside of Los Angeles, so no British dub of Your Story. I'm not sure there's ever been a British dub for an anime as long as Dai before. I guess they figured it's self-contained from the franchise as a whole.

MarshalBanana wrote:
I can't watch the trailer, so would someone tell me, is this a new English dub or the one that was put on the BBC iplayer a few weeks ago.

It appears to be the uncut version of that dub. The BBC iPlayer release censored the shot of the sword gliding through the air after Popp threw it to Dai. That was included in this preview.

DamianSalazar wrote:
That's because Toei partnered with Saban Brands, and with that came censorship and trimming down of episodes. If Toei partnered up with another company to dub it, say Crunchyroll, it would be a big deal.

I see no reason to believe that would be true. Pretty Cure is a children's show through and through, with little nostalgic appeal in the English-speaking world. Anime SVOD services aren't popular with younger kids and kids' shows aren't popular with the people who use them. The latest episode of Delicious Party Pretty Cure has 66 upvotes on Crunchyroll. The latest episode of Dai has over 1400. Obviously not a perfect way to measure viewership, but that strongly suggests far less interest. Even amongst this site's readers, Pretty Cure isn't popular.

As long as the franchise remains successful in Japan, there's always a chance a new series will get a dub. The problem is finding a proper place for it. Anime SVOD services, as it stands, isn't it. Toei's current strategy of releasing shows on a la carte download platforms isn't it either. They need to be somewhere kids are, but that's easier said than done. Glitter Force is maybe still too recent for the mainstream SVODs. Korean animation companies find a way to make dumping shows on YouTube work, but Toei might be too old-fashioned for that.

penguintruth wrote:

Ocean's been producing dubs that use actors from both studios for over a decade. The vast majority of Dai's cast is from Vancouver. The only BW-only productions are usually things like Cardfight Vanguard.

Hagaren Viper wrote:
If this is finally getting released, wonder if they'll actually do something with the Digimon Adventure 2020 dub that they announced eight months ago and never spoke of again.

That show is going to premiere on Cartoon Network India on Monday. I don't think it's guaranteed, but it's possible they'll run the English dub on a secondary feed.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap I was jumping up and down just a moment ago seeing this article! About freaking time! I can’t wait! Damn this got my hype! And it was announced at the end of the series in the subs too.. very nice!
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
3ngag3 wrote:
Guessing this is a non-union dub? Is that SAG-AFTRA order still in place?
It’s a Canadian dub by Ocean but I don’t know if it’s a union dub. I think Ocean works with a different union group.

They work with ACTRA, the Canadian equivalent of SAG. Every anime dub from Ocean that uses the Vancouver voice actors is an ACTRA union dub, same with the Toronto dubs like Sailor Moon, Bakugan, and Knights of the Zodiac. There's a reason why you never see aliases for those dubs (the only example I can think of is Ian Corlett being credited as "Jerry J Todd" as Goku due to a spat with Ocean).
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:49 am Reply with quote
I'm just so happy to see a Canadian dub again. Nothing against American dubs/VA's, but more variety is always very welcome.

Which reminds me, I should check out that Future Boy Conan dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:28 am Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Hopefully they announce which digital platforms soon. I'd watch these on hulu but my gut says it's monopolyroll.

Here in Latin America the streaming platform/dubbing studio Anime Onegai began airing the Neutral Spanish dub at the end of August of this year, the dub is also being aired on a Mexican TV channel since the end of September.

appledude1221 productions wrote:
This is absolutely not fair, Every show from Toei animation gets dubbed except precure and toei won't promote it outside Japan, they are just not trying to expand precure globally with the reiwa period.

Don't know if it's going to be dubbed into English as well, but I've heard some rumors that Anime Onegai is trying to negotiate with Toei to dub some PreCure shows into Neutral Spanish. The relationship between the 2 companies seems strong, Toei even let Onegai to dub the OP and ED themes for The Adventure of Dai and World Trigger into Spanish.

everydaygamer wrote:
Censorship does very little to contribute to a shows lack of popularity. Just look at Cardcaptors, really popular despite butchering the original Japanese version.

I have to agree, shows like Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh! were really popular in Latin America despite the fact that they were dubbed from the 4Kids version. But I'm grateful that the Neutral Spanish dubs for Digimon Adventure and Cardcaptor Sakura were adapted directly from the original Japanese version.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:51 am Reply with quote
Trailer has me hyped! Loved what I heard and everything. Oh please be a friendly streaming platform for me, lol!
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:27 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Trailer has me hyped! Loved what I heard and everything. Oh please be a friendly streaming platform for me, lol!

What do you mean exactly as friendly streaming platforms?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Not particularly excited about an English dub, but am super bummed this is over, now. It was unexpectedly well done, even outright moving at times.
Philville

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:23 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I can't watch the trailer, so would someone tell me, is this a new English dub or the one that was put on the BBC iplayer a few weeks ago.

I don't have 100% confirmation of this but it seems to be the same dub.

Was there a Dai no Daibouken thread in this forum at some point? I've been watching the original version of the new anime with English subs for the past two years and I'm about to watch Episode 100 (*sniff*), which feels like the end of one hell of an epic journey. I almost feel like putting it off because I really don't want this to end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3