• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Hellos and Good-Byes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
The issue isn't digital, there are means to make this last longer than physical, the prob is companies selling u "subscriptions" (Steam), and "licenses" (Playstation) and "other such "wording' that means at ANY TIME they can rob u of what u "bought" becus remember despite their store saying "purchase" and other crap that tricks players and consumers into thinking they're buying a game, movie, dlc or other digital content when they aren't (According to the TOS of these companies including Amazon),

In the interest of fairness this is pretty alarmist itself. While it is possible to have this done to you it’s rare.

MagicPolly wrote:
I don't see the issue with naive angel mode. It's an option, nothing is forced. It's not censorship because all the content is still available in the game perfectly accessable for free. I don't see the issue with giving people the OPTION to remove some nudity in game. It's not an attempt to change the rating because again, all nudity is still available.

Because believe it or not some gamers hate options that allow people to experience and enjoy something different from how they experience and enjoy it…….despite complaining about games restricting and lacking options Confused

Dark Mac wrote:
Warning for the Klonoa collection: it runs pretty poorly on Switch, PS4, and Xbox One. Not exactly acceptable considering that it's a remaster of Wii/PS2 games...

Well shit between the GTA Collection, Blade Runner Enchanced Edition, Sonic Origins, & the rerelease of Scott Pilgrm vs the World.

This has been a rough period for remasters and ports of old games. It’d be a shame if the Crisis Core rerelease faltered as well Razz
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Welcome Jean-Karlo!

That Klonoa tune is really catchy. Was it just made for the commercial, or is it in the game too (like the theme)?

It was made for the commercial! It wasn't in the actual game itself. There's a whole wealth of stuff made for video games in Japan that were only for the commercials. Being a Boktai fan, I was huge on those animated shorts they made to promote the game in Japan.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:00 am Reply with quote
@BadNewsBlues Very true and I don't see it just happening out of the blue for every company (certainly not without legal challenge) but despite how rare it is, it can and does happen. (Currently is happening for a big name IP as mentioned in the article) The worst part is if the companies hosting these games, movies etc. don't get good contracts, we'll see more of this kind of thing happening. (From what i udnerstand this is why one of the movies I think it was on Sony consoles/devices linked to em is going away) Granted am sure they'll try to push for this harder for proper contracts than b4 but still, its worth keeping an eye on this and if anyone is concerned about it, buying physical for the MUST OWN stuff would be the better way to go if u'r concerned about this kinda thing (I personally am not at this time)

@MagicPolly If u'r responding to me u should @ me like i did u here or quote me (U can always remove the irrelevant stuff), otherwise I won't know u'r talking to me.

Anyway, the only tongue in cheek for the Bayonetta part of my post was the SMASHING comment, which i called out as a double pun. The rest i was serious on, I see it as censorship and gave a legit, valid GOOD reason for why it is, u'r still censoring something by the very nature of the word, even if its the player who was given the option its still censorship. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer this to no option at all and being forced into censorship like everyone does when censorship is involved, I said in the past at least GIVE us the option to choose such as like this Naive Angel mode, but that does not change the fact it is still censorship. Now, I'm not gonna go further than that as nothing u, or anyone for that matter, will change my mind and am not here to change anyone else's mind either. If u or anyone else wants to believe this isn't censorship then thats ur belief, ultimately this doesn't really matter to me one way or the other long as they don't ever censor the box art, or in game without giving the option to choose uncensored or censored as I want uncensored. Also, I never said anything about this mode lowering the rating as if it was meant to lower the rating, in fact i said the opposite that its not here to lower the rating. All its here for is to draw in more $ and to appease the current times/people who want censorship.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:59 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
It was made for the commercial! It wasn't in the actual game itself. There's a whole wealth of stuff made for video games in Japan that were only for the commercials. Being a Boktai fan, I was huge on those animated shorts they made to promote the game in Japan.

Ah, that's too bad. Reminds me of this Nintendo commercial with a great tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfKxpmnAFRw
They definitely produce some great stuff Smile
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:41 am Reply with quote
Considering I started playing the original Bayonetta because I heard Hellena Taylor was her VA, it's slightly embarrassing that I never noticed it's not her voice in B3's trailers.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
@BadNewsBlues Very true and I don't see it just happening out of the blue for every company (certainly not without legal challenge) but despite how rare it is, it can and does happen. (Currently is happening for a big name IP as mentioned in the article)

If I’m being honest the rage over Liberation becoming unplayable seems overwrought. I don’t recall it being heralded as a major must play title when it dropped on the PS Vita years earlier. Though yeah Ubisoft could’ve handled this situation somewhat better.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:54 pm Reply with quote
What's this? Accurate reporting with no bias (or at least bias that doesn't result in incorrect reporting then when corrected they don't see the issue with their mistake because bias has blinded them or there's just no tegridy)? Jean-Karlo. What a strong opening start. Round of applause. What you did in this article... keep doing exactly this. Welcome.

I shared my Yugioh memories in the original article announcement.

Quote:
Takahashi was very clued into what kids liked in the 90s, and the early chapters of the manga had Yugi and his other Egyptian self playing with other games: battling virtual pets, playing collectible figure games, even computer RPGs.

Slight correction: Takahashi didn't stop playing the original games after the 1st 59 chapters when he focused on Magic & Wizards. He alternated between card game and the original variety of games after each card game arc. After Duelist Kingdom, Yami Yugi/Yugi and Jonouchi played dice & cup, 4 aces, and DDD (Dragon Dice & Dungeons) before Battle City then after that was a whole arc not focused on cards, but rather monster battles that included a RPG starting up later in the arc. The Duel Monsters anime, which released after the Konami card game, removed all of that and replaced it with Duel Monsters. Even the DDD arc in the anime had a connection to Duel Monsters and monsters from Duel Monsters in the game because they had to market it to the card game or potential card game casuals. They had to add something card game related in the non-card game arcs. The original Yugioh anime called Yugioh was closer to the original vision of the manga, but they changed the plot around to make Kaiba appear earlier than expected and added more things.

Quote:
Joey/Junoichi

Jonouchi. Or Tomoya (If you get the joke).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2