• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime Raises Subscription Prices

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:41 am Reply with quote
The price increase doesn't really bother me. Expanding the media catalog does seem like a double-edged sword, as some people said, especially since none of the major streaming services have done a great job organizing their content (in my opinion, obviously), though some are worse than others. I do wish there were meaningful alternatives to Amazon, but that's more because I feel guilty participating in their labor practices than because of what seems to me like relatively slow price inflation and still deeply underpriced product offerings.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Just remember, you're being an irresponsible peon if you're not paying your monthly Prime tribute to Most Glorious Dear Supreme Master And Commander Bezos, Wealth And Power Be Upon Him Rolling Eyes
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Just remember, you're being an irresponsible peon if you're not paying your monthly Prime tribute to Most Glorious Dear Supreme Master And Commander Bezos, Wealth And Power Be Upon Him Rolling Eyes

The hell...

I have Amazon prime for free right now and I don't plan to renew, but I really did like some of the anime that aired. Just annoyed that there will not be a home release to buy.
Shwiggie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Prime Video is worthless to someone with barely a 1Mbps internet connection, and while Amazon Music was admittedly nice (particularly while commuting) it wasn't nice enough to compensate for the joke that is Prime two-day shipping. That was the whole reason I originally subscribed back when it was $80 and persevered when it ran up to a hundred. But when I would place orders on Sunday nights and not get them until Fridays, it was time to cancel. And then they jacked it up to $120 immediately thereafter, so I have yet to regret it.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:16 am Reply with quote
Netflix is also raising subscription fees. And both platforms are bleeding content as everything gets divided into competing services. Hell, Prime is even worse than other platforms in that regard with its channels.

No matter how much they spend on producing new shows, it's not going to keep pace with the media being lost. So customers are stuck paying more for less content.

Meanwhile the company abuses workers for poverty wages while Bezos' plague profiteering nets him hundreds of thousands of dollars every minute.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:32 am Reply with quote
Well, at least Amazon Prime doesn't indulge on cramming the service with non-American shows, shows who nobody wants, sponsoring badly-made anime series, which are nothing more than scams, and other stuff.
AdrianHunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I have heard about this news. I am not surprised because the number of things on Amazon is increasing, so it makes sense that Amazon is increasing the subscription price. Still, I think Amazon did it because there are no alternatives, and Amazon is the monopolist. Its only competitor is eBay. Still, I have heard that eBay's sales are falling because Amazon has more buyers, which means that the goods are sold faster. I also like Amazon more because you can always participate in an Amazon giveaway and win a 50 or 100 bucks gift coupon. There was no such thing on eBay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2