• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yakuza Creator Explains Why He's Hesitant to Include Kiryu in Fighting Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Emerje wrote:
So NOT wanting to see guys beat woman is sexist now? It's like everything I thought I knew was a lie. Go out there and beat women, Kiryu, they demand equal treatment!

It's an example of benevolent sexism, while it may seem harmless at first glance it might enforce positions of gender inequality. In similar vein when holding doors for women exclusively, or like holding the view that women should be rescued first from a sinking ship, or other gender-specific, protective behavior, those things are likely to enforce the view that women are the weaker gender, ie helpless and incompetent beings, when that behavior is targeted towards them. There's been studies done on that...

Not punching women is sexism? But then if you punch women, most people in the world will call you a trash in the surface. Word 'sexism' is just like a convenience excuse for people to bash someone. In the end, it's up to what the punch/not punch person's actually thinking.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:18 pm Reply with quote
RegisterJustForComment wrote:
Not punching women is sexism? But then if you punch women, most people in the world will call you a trash in the surface. Word 'sexism' is just like a convenience excuse for people to bash someone. In the end, it's up to what the punch/not punch person's actually thinking.

Well, personally, I think people could do a lot worse than living their life by the adage: "if you're ever afraid that punching someone is going to lead to people calling you 'trash' - to the point where you're more concerned about being called 'trash' than you are about the harm you're going to cause to another human being - then maybe pause, don't punch that person, and think about what it is you're doing." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:31 pm Reply with quote
RegisterJustForComment wrote:

Well, preferably people would not punch anyone, specifically in real life the only time one should have an excuse to hit another is if someone is in danger or protect yourself. I may be wrong, but women are less likely to go to violence with the need to actually punch them, so a lot of cases of punching one would be trying to take advantage of someone being weaker than them to use violence, which is a sexism.

In regards to something like a fighting game, where generally characters of all games are fighting because that is what happens in a fighting game, it is kind of condescending to have a male character to say that he won't hit a female character. Is there a reason a character would choose to treat the female opponent different from a male one? Are female characters the only ones worthy of "mercy", and why is that? It may be seen as sort of benevolent, but it is also somewhat looking down on female characters that they are not worthy opponents.

Gets even more tricky when we start blurring the lines of what might be a male character and what might be a female character. Thinking of Smash Bros, would it be fine to hit the male versions of characters, what about Sheik, and Kirby official is kind of officially non-binary. And there is Samus in her suit whether that is out of the question, which reminds me of a Starbomb video/song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5zL3FMyoq8
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Alright, let's stop the "what is sexist or not" debate please. It's getting off topic and simply going in circles.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:52 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
Lol as adorable as that is, I would like to point out kiryu beating up pleasure king in zero. All characters present, kiryu included, agreed pleasure king is a woman. To be fair, she was absolutely going to fight him, it's not like that didn't happened unprovoked.

I think that says more about the director's views than anything else. If the director says he doesn't want the hero to beat up women, yet has had said hero beating up many crossdressers/okama/transwomen throughout the franchise, well... it's not hard to connect the dots there on what the creator is basically saying in regards to that.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:11 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
If a character has acted a certain way for years, and a fighting game makes him act antithetical to that, I get it. That’d be like Aang showing up in Mortal Kombat and outright killing dudes (as opposed to just making Fujin an Airbender).

I mean Sanji has been fighting women in One Piece video games for years and no one’s batted an eye.

Actually his inability to attack women is built into the Pirate Warriors game. He won’t do it and the game actually warns you about such when dealing with female bosses.

Exception to rule though if I recall correctly his attacks do less damage as opposed to him simply not being able to hit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2