• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokemon: Detective Pikachu Earns US$58 Million — Best Video Game Movie Debut Ever in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
Saw it on Friday, wore an Eevee shirt.

Also on the whole Harrison Ford looking like Pro. Oak... now I wish there was a scene of him parodying the stinger at the end of Iron Man or him asking someone if their a boy or a girl... either would have been funny...

OAK: "The Great Pokémon Detective... You think that episode where Mewtwo put you in the body of your Pikachu was weird? Detective Goodman, you've become a part of a bigger universe. You just don't know it yet."

spoiler[HARRY]: "Who the hell are you?"

OAK: "The name's Oak. Some people call me the Pokémon Professor. I'm here to talk to you about some research I'm doing in Kanto."
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
Saw it on Friday, wore an Eevee shirt.

Also on the whole Harrison Ford looking like Pro. Oak... now I wish there was a scene of him parodying the stinger at the end of Iron Man or him asking someone if their a boy or a girl... either would have been funny...

OAK: "The Great Pokémon Detective... You think that episode where Mewtwo put you in the body of your Pikachu was weird? Detective Goodman, you've become a part of a bigger universe. You just don't know it yet."

spoiler[HARRY]: "Who the hell are you?"

OAK: "The name's Oak. Some people call me the Pokémon Professor. I'm here to talk to you about some research I'm doing in Kanto."

(Applauds)

Congrats! You win the the internet!
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Even if it's not the highest opening adjusted for inflation I think it's a good opening, especially in some markets where it reached number 1. It's dificult to compete with Endgame.
As for the movie itself, I saw it last friday and I found it really fun, the attention to detail regarding the Pokémon lore does show that the filmakers really understood the material, the effects on Pikachu were really impressive as well as some of the other Pokémon, and the plot while simple, does enough worldbulding to justify a sequel or spin-offs.
I hope that the film will manage to at least recoup its production budget, and perhaps Nintendo (I know that they do not own Pokémon) will see this as an example that maybe some of their IPs can work outside of the medium of videogames.
My only hope now is that the Sonic movie will do alright too.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:16 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

I hope that the film will manage to at least recoup its production budget, and perhaps Nintendo (I know that they do not own Pokémon) will see this as an example that maybe some of their IPs can work outside of the medium of videogames.

Nintendo already had that in mind:

"Nintendo Discusses Upcoming Movie Plans & Release Schedule"
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:44 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
This movie was really good. It's also really interesting that spoiler[thanks to Mewtwo, Pikachu's body was actually being possessed by Harry Goodman, who - coincidentally enough - is also played by Ryan Reynolds]. I'm disappointed that the movie doesn't have a post-credit stinger featuring a cameo appearance by Professor Oak. Harrison Ford would have been PERFECT for the role.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Harrison_Ford_by_Gage_Skidmore_2.jpg

https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/2/27/Professor_Oak_SM_anime.png

[Edit]: changed your img links to urls due to their size. Errinundra.

Sounds like a wonderful way to kick off a new whitewashing complaint.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

You are an amazing Pokemon moviegoer for good!
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:57 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Sounds like a wonderful way to kick off a new whitewashing complaint.

Who would you cast as Oak to prevent this kind of problem?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:33 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
This movie was really good. It's also really interesting that spoiler[thanks to Mewtwo, Pikachu's body was actually being possessed by Harry Goodman, who - coincidentally enough - is also played by Ryan Reynolds].

Yeah, that was quite a bit better than I expected, definitely enjoyed it.

spoiler[Yeah, I had no idea they were going to have Ryan Reynolds himself show up as the dad even after the reveal set it up. The people in my showing clearly didn't either as that totally got a ton of laughs when it panned up and he's there in person.

The best laugh from us was probably the bit where Pikachu's all sad but of all things is singing the original English opening theme. Even with him half crying we couldn't help but crack up lmao. Laughing ]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:46 am Reply with quote
Rotten Tomatoes: "Detective Pikachu Is Officially the Best-Reviewed Video-Game Movie of All Time"

• Before we dive further into the achievement, be aware we only considered U.S. theatrical releases when ranking video-game movies. Second, the movie needed to have at least 20 reviews for consideration, the same minimum we used for our list of 41 video game movies ranked by Tomatometer. Why 20 reviews? That’s the number required to get one of our sparkling Critics Consensus summaries, and also implies that the movie generated enough interest to be reviewed by a varied swath of critics. The previous Pokémon movie, The Power of Us (in theaters for a little over a week in America, courtesy of distribution by Fathom Events), actually got a 60%…but only from 5 reviews, not enough to consider it beyond a niche novelty.

• But for now, Detective Pikachu‘s bright visuals, gallery of lovingly and faithfully rendered Pokemon, and fast-paced kid-friendly narrative (not to mention the coup of casting Ryan Reynolds as lead voice) are good enough with critics. After 26 years and well over 30 Rotten movies – not even the Konami Code could’ve saved Hollywood – it’s been a long time coming.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:26 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Rotten Tomatoes: "Detective Pikachu Is Officially the Best-Reviewed Video-Game Movie of All Time"

• Before we dive further into the achievement, be aware we only considered U.S. theatrical releases when ranking video-game movies. Second, the movie needed to have at least 20 reviews for consideration, the same minimum we used for our list of 41 video game movies ranked by Tomatometer. Why 20 reviews? That’s the number required to get one of our sparkling Critics Consensus summaries, and also implies that the movie generated enough interest to be reviewed by a varied swath of critics. The previous Pokémon movie, The Power of Us (in theaters for a little over a week in America, courtesy of distribution by Fathom Events), actually got a 60%…but only from 5 reviews, not enough to consider it beyond a niche novelty.

• But for now, Detective Pikachu‘s bright visuals, gallery of lovingly and faithfully rendered Pokemon, and fast-paced kid-friendly narrative (not to mention the coup of casting Ryan Reynolds as lead voice) are good enough with critics. After 26 years and well over 30 Rotten movies – not even the Konami Code could’ve saved Hollywood – it’s been a long time coming.

A 64 doesn't seem particularly high, to be honest.

Apparently they're including anime movies. Mewtwo Strikes Back got a 15? That's extremely harsh...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:42 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

A 64 doesn't seem particularly high, to be honest.

It isn't. But that highlights how badly videogame movies have been reviewed over the years.
64% is actually the first one over 60%, the passing grade to be considered Fresh.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:14 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Apparently they're including anime movies. Mewtwo Strikes Back got a 15? That's extremely harsh...

The mindset in '99 treated "the Pokemon craze" as a frustrating fad they couldn't fathom, and mostly attacked the movie as soulless kid-harvesting marketing.
The fact that most of the kids were just there to get the free Mewtwo card with their ticket didn't exactly fight that image.

For some reason, the opening no-dialogue "Pikachu's Vacation" short (occasionally broken up by interstitial change-of-scene eyecatches) also kept "baffling" the audience at the time, with most of the critic comments saying "What did I just watch?? " Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2