• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Announces Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs, Cells at Work! Anime for Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niyari

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
aww this was one of the shows that i planned on eventually buying the blu-rays of. not anymore, that's for sure.
peno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:

Sony PICTURES owns Funimation and Sony MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT owns Aniplex which from my understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong, the two operate independently and does things their own ways.

And that, IMO, is what is wrong with Sony. Too many independent branches which are allowed to do as they please with little to none management control and what's worse, they are even allowed to compete with each other, as clearly shown on the example of Funimation and Aniplex USA. Don't get me wrong, I like Sony and that's why I am worried about their business model which may lead them to hell.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Gundamcero wrote:
Awesome. Wish Aniplex would get more shows. Love the quality of their releases. Don't have to deal with the shit encodes from Failmation.

Bruh, if you wanna line AoA's pockets by paying 80 bucks for four episodes in a - lets be real - MEH release, more power to you. The rest of us are not here for it.

Funimation (when they try) and Sentai do much better and I don't even mess with the latter like that as a company.
Gundamcero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Gundamcero wrote:
Awesome. Wish Aniplex would get more shows. Love the quality of their releases. Don't have to deal with the shit encodes from Failmation.

Bruh, if you wanna line AoA's pockets by paying 80 bucks for four episodes in a - lets be real - MEH release, more power to you. The rest of us are not here for it.

Funimation (when they try) and Sentai do much better and I don't even mess with the latter like that as a company.

Well I am willing to pay for a release that actually offers video quality that is the same as the Japanese releases while Funimation does their own encode and it is shit in comparison. Just look at the latest release of Re:Zero. It is garbage and not worth any amount of money.

Guess the people around here like quantity more than quality and can only complain about Aniplex prices.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Gundamcero wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Gundamcero wrote:

Well I am willing to pay for a release that actually offers video quality that is the same as the Japanese releases while Funimation does their own encode and it is shit in comparison. Just look at the latest release of Re:Zero. It is garbage and not worth any amount of money.

Guess the people around here like quantity more than quality and can only complain about Aniplex prices.

We like quality, we just want more for 60 bucks other than 4-6 piddly episodes and literally nothing else on the disc. Leave that mess in 2005.

Is the Re:Zero release subpar? Sure, but that looks more to be a problem on the Japanese side than anything Funi did. If people ONLY wanted the shows to look good, then everyone would just torrent, but they don't because its more to it than that. Its about the consumer getting their money's worth and AoA rarely provides that, and this is coming from someone who has a bought a couple of their releases.
Gundamcero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Gundamcero wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Gundamcero wrote:

We like quality, we just want more for 60 bucks other than 4-6 piddly episodes and literally nothing else on the disc. Leave that mess in 2005.

Is the Re:Zero release subpar? Sure, but that looks more to be a problem on the Japanese side than anything Funi did. If people ONLY wanted the shows to look good, then everyone would just torrent, but they don't because its more to it than that. Its about the consumer getting their money's worth and AoA rarely provides that, and this is coming from someone who has a bought a couple of their releases.

Um no. The Japanese release of Re:Zero has none of the video problems that the Funimation release does. Most Funi releases are barebones anyways. Aniplex has better packaging and usually includes artbooks, postcards, and/or soundtracks with their releases. Funi includes spoons and stupid pillows. Sure they do artbooks sometimes too but their Limited Editions are few and far between now and they don't even stay consistent with them. Don't even get me started with how stupid Sentai's Premium Editions are. If your only argument is episode count then yeah they are not for you. To each their own.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
You can still somewhat support Aniplex USA by watching this on CR. Also, sometimes AoA's titles are available on Amazon Prime as pay-to-play.
ecchigas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
i'm all for it
i like aniplex releases because they are top quality
i sometimes buy the original japanese releases so i'm no stranger to high costs
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2