• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aria English Dub Kickstarter Adds Stretch Goal for All Remaining Anime, Including Aria The Avv

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sensei Terry Silver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:59 am Reply with quote
Not a fan of the current decision to put such a gap between adding up Origination & Avenire at 360 K +, rather than creating a new tier to capitalize on another helpful boost from existing pledgers upping their tier. I'm sure the production costs are more likely much lower for a combined release, but it seems now the completion of the project now depends on getting new backers on the last stretch. As seen above, there are most likely plenty of potential backers holding out until the series is 100 % completed -- and full completion might not be reachable since 100 % completion now entirely rests on gaining new backers rather than getting the most out of the existing hardcore fanbase already pledging.

I'd be willing to pledge another $40 only to get S3, and re-upping one final time to add Avenire, the guidebook and whatever, rather than upping my existing pledge only to get a shirt or whatever. Adding a final tier and benefiting from another surge in existing pledges would more likely covers all goals and beyond, rather than stalling the project and waiting for new backers that might never come.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote
Hmm, adding the 3 unreleased OVA episodes makes it more tempting, but that means that Nozomi already has the license for them, so this would be just to dub them. I think I'll still just wait for the eventual BD releases.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
@ Megiddo - incorrect. All the releases will be both dubbed AND in blu-ray. You should check out the Aria Kickstarter to see exactly what's on offer:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/160939828/lets-dub-aria-the-animation/description
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:12 am Reply with quote
What exactly did I say that was incorrect? Please clarify as your comment baffles me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Hmm, adding the 3 unreleased OVA episodes makes it more tempting, but that means that Nozomi already has the license for them, so this would be just to dub them. I think I'll still just wait for the eventual BD releases.

I interpreted that to mean you thought the campaign was just to dub the sets. I can see what you mean now, but it wasn't 100% clear in your original post.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
I would think that mentioning that I would pick up the eventual BD releases would be clear that I already knew the campaign was to bring Aria to Blu-ray. I definitely look forward to being able to upgrade my DVD sets, especially since this apparently isn't going to simply be a clone of Japan's remaster for their BD releases.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling other people would make the same mistake I did, Megiddo. I'm sure you wouldn't admit it on pain of death, but writing something like, "...that means that Nozomi already has the license for them, so this would be just to dub them" is not a model of clarity.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
It is as I prefer Kickstarter being used to fund the acquisition of titles that are unlicensed. Had the update said that the stretch goal would be used to acquire the license and dub Avvenire then I certainly would have backed to support that. However, knowing that Nozomi already has the license means that I'd only be contributing for a dub. While I do love Aria, it's not something that I'd spend top premium to be dubbed. Whereas I did spend premium amounts for the Time of Eve Movie and Skip Beat kickstarter since those were titles that were unlicensed.

Thus "already has the license for them, so this would be just to dub them" makes perfect sense. Regardless of whether or not the Kickstarter fails or succeeds, I would be able to purchase the Avvenire since the license has already been acquired. So my impetus to back the kickstarter is next to nil.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
Only in your mind does it make sense. It's obvious how somebody like me could have mistaken your intention, you simply refuse to recognize it. Do you have a problem admitting when you do something less than spectacularly well?
Sensei Terry Silver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
I think the acquisition of the Avenire OVAs is in large part due to the success of the Kickstarter, as it would have been licensed months ago sub-only DVD if it would have been feasible.

Even if people are not fans of dubs, there’s still worth in contributing to the campaign, even at the lower-tiered ”Blu-Ray release only” pledges. You get Aria on Blu-Ray, and it’s pretty much Nozomi’s goal to produce a better quality release and upscale than the Japanese BDs were. That alone was enough for me to support the project, as I still have my doubts about getting Aria ”right” in a dubbed version.

It was also said that there will be a minimum of a six months holdback before the ”regular” BD sets are released to the general public. Nozomi aims to release Season 1 only by Holidays 2018, whereas backers will get it in February and Season 2 by May (general public date for S2 TBA)

Finally, it contributes much-needed funds in order to producing Origination and a full-release of Avenire, which is not guaranteed yet and is a long way to go still. ”Pair Double Plus” at $ 130 currently gets you Animation and Natural Pt. 1 & 2 — which splits at $ 43 per set. Of course, it’s a tiny bit more expensive than, say, holding your purchase until the TRSI Holiday sale, but $ 43 is still under what the regular price for each set would be. That’s the very nature of any Kickstarter campaign : you pay a bit more in order to launch a product, or you hold back and the product might never exist.

At this point, all pledges are welcome in order to fully finalize the project, rather than doing another Kickstarter campaign that might not be as successful or have the same staff / VA available.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
I have paid $1 just to contribute the bare minimum and because I am unemployed. For my b-day on 9/4 (31 years), I might pay the $50 to get the 1st season dubbed.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
Ok let's keep it civil. Blood clarified himself quite clearly Megiddo. Your post was more ambiguous and other users could easily have interpreted things the same way Blood did. You may not see it, which is fine, but at this point you're arguing and being snarky for no reason. So let's move on.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:34 am Reply with quote
I had already moved on. Why bring up posts from 4-5 days ago? Seems silly for a mod to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2