• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 20-Year Veteran Anime Technical Director Reports 100,000-Yen Monthly Salary

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
I'd do it. I've got the skills. Sign me up.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
You're quite welcome. I'm glad that someone is appreciative of me pointing out that the 20-year veteran anime technical director does not have a 100,000 yen monthly salary as the headline indicates. A 100,000 yen monthly salary would be ridiculously low.

Each anime is considered a separate project, another income source or "salary": The headline is not misleading if he receives that payment for each job separately; He essentially has to work 2 full-time jobs, at the same time, to earn a basic living wage. The payments from Job A and Job B are not mixed; McDonald's is not suddenly paying someone $40 000/year because that person has another full-time $20 000 job at A&W. Household income and salary/wages are 2 separate things.

To work on an anime is full-time work; He is getting about $1000/month for full-time employment which, if he works a regular 160 hrs/ month, is $6.25/hr; He needs another job just to live : The intended reaction to the article still stands.

His ritziest gig was about $3000/month or $18.75/hr, if he worked a regular 40 hr. workweek.

Here are some Canadian numbers, circa Sept. 2015:

Quote:
For example, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic has a lot of work, not just animation, done by DHX Media. According to GlassDoor (a site with company reviews from an employment perspective), wages goeth thusly:

Layout Artist: $22-23/ hr

Animator-Contractor- $39-$42 000 yearly

Production Coordinator-Monthly Contractor- $3-4 000 monthly

Research done by me and posted 2 years ago.

My Little Pony is one show; That is the wages/salary for one job. You're right: $1000/month for a, probably beyond, full-time job is ridiculously low.
vallum

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:44 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

Though since healthcare and other benefits are free in JPN I guess the pay isnt actually bad.

They're not free! Where have you heard about that?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
Each anime is considered a separate project, another income source or "salary"

A salary refers to a consistent income agreed upon between the employer and employee that is paid out over a consistent interval. This director does not have a salary. It is not consistent. Just because you have an income source does not mean you have a salary. A person with an hourly wage is not a salaried worker. Their payment depends on the number of hours that they work. A freelancer or contract worker is not a salaried worker. Their payment depends on the contract that they negotiate with each project they work on. That is not consistent.

The headline states that this director has a 100,000 yen monthly salary. That is not true as I have already explained extensively.
jtstellar

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
i support a doujin artist on patreon $3 a month that now makes a total monthly about the same no doubt with much less animation skill/experience as this person.. things are possible, it's year 2017, go indie and start a patreon page or something, it probably takes minutes. i empathize, but at some point you gotta be responsible for not using your creative independent spirit.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
His highest salary ever of 2,7 k is about my past salary, before tax. Germany lovers it´s taxes, so i "loose" about 35% to important social welfare stuff. My upcoming salary bracket will even be above his highest one, once my Bachelor is done next year. That is crazy for putting in 20 years! I only needed a 3 year apprenticeship to make 3 times what he makes on an average project, with a fixed work week of 39 hours.
What´s his week like? 80+ hours? I also get a double salary on Christmas and other fun stuff, as 30+ days off. Such "bonuses" will forgo him too...

I get that an anime / manga newbie will be exploited as he is, as i held deeply questionable short term jobs too when i started off, but 20 years in hell and then this. For an episode director of the "award winning" SEED Confused . My condolences.
I will admit though that he could have stepped away too. I for example read that games pay more and these also need animators. As do commercials. He should be able to land a position in such a field. Hm.

An interring feature would be to find out how residuals work in the anime or manga industry. A case by case basis will most likely be the answer. The US comics industry was and somewhat remains stingy in that aspect. The creators of Superman and Batman´s original writer are infamous for their bad luck and highly questionable treatment. So it´s not just a Japanese problem. Nishimura at least got credited.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Just goes to show how we should be appreciating anime.
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Poor guy, a monthly salary of 2,7 k is really low considering his experience & long japanese work hours. That's even lower than my current monthly salary and I only have a 30% part-time job. Once I finish my master's degree and work full-time, income would be around 100 k per year before tax (incl. bonus). But then again, cost of living in Switzerland is very high and not really comparable to Japan's. Still, a yearly income of 25-30 k for a japanese man in his 40s/50s is rather low. I wish Anime's creative force would get fairer wages and more time to rest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Provided he doesn't take many holidays (I assume he doesn't), he earns about as much as an entry level foreign assistant language teacher in Japan. Y'know, not exactly a job that requires veteran level experience.
A Man named RJ

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
The anime bubble is just about to pop.

And Im looking VERY forward to it. there is WAY too much [crap] being made nowadays. The death of original ideas, the OVER abundance of crappy light novel adaptations, and the industry eats animators, directors, and producers alive they're taking their lives or sleeping and never waking up again due to overworking. Much like video games the market wont sustain for very much longer.

Larger studios like Toei, Bones, and TMS will survive easily, but the number of anime being made needs to cull, or else we're in for tweened anime*. and a completely dead industry aside from maybe 4-8 productions a year

*What is "tweened" anime? Non-animators call it "FLASH" though thats a misnomer as animation done in flash can look quite good https://sakugabooru.com/data/e05f6460bbeeb26fd6044ba0abc788e8.mp4
That, and Tweened animation can be done in a number of programs from Anime Studio, to Toonboom, to After effects to Photoshop. "Tweening" is simply the act of applying bones and moving digital puppet characters as opposed to drawing and redrawing the image over and over again.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
A Man named RJ wrote:

Quoted just in case I need the reference in one, two, five or ten years. This low salaries have been there before many in this forum members were even born, the only difference is that the internet makes plausible for it to become news.

So unless north korea launches a nuke that creates an EMP, we will continue to have our anime fix.
A Man named RJ

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
A Man named RJ wrote:

Quoted just in case I need the reference in one, two, five or ten years. This low salaries have been there before many in this forum members were even born, the only difference is that the internet makes plausible for it to become news.

So unless north korea launches a nuke that creates an EMP, we will continue to have our anime fix.

Actually it's not the salaries that are the problem here. it';s the number of shows being made vs the animators. Theres too much demand and not enough supply
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
A Man named RJ wrote:
Actually it's not the salaries that are the problem here. it';s the number of shows being made vs the animators. Theres too much demand and not enough supply

Then by the law of supply and demand the salaries in the anime production industry will slowly start to raise, which has nothing to do with "The anime bubble is just about to pop".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2