• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shōnen Maid

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Odd that he didn't come home to find said dresser reeking of urine.

I was mystified by the lack of urine, too. Also, any clothes in that wardrobe would have been torn to shreds. Cartoon puppies tend to be far more docile and well-behaved than the genuine article.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
On the other hand, you have puppies like mine who seem to understand immediately that you just don't go pee inside. We had to leave ours a couple of times when my parents were rushed to the hospital (frankly we didn't care of they peed in the house or not those times) and they waited until we got home 12 hours later. Our current two are such good dogs. They've never peed inside.

Besides, you do realize dogs won't go where they sleep if they can possibly avoid it? I've rarely seen a puppy of ours do it in fact.

As far as unrealistic situations, nothing about this says realism, but ya know, neither did Furuba when it started out. The first couple volumes of comedy manga that don't know how long they will last don't typically invest in realistic story arcs. Once they're established that changes. It happens all the time. So who knows? If this is a long running manga I'm sure it will bring in that sort of thing eventually.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Yikes... Never upset Madoka, I guess. Within a matter of hours, he went from worshiping the ground his nephew walked on to coldly dismissing him. Such behavior on the part of a caregiver can really mess up a kid, even one as well-adjusted as Chihiro.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Yikes... Never upset Madoka, I guess. Within a matter of hours, he went from worshiping the ground his nephew walked on to coldly dismissing him. Such behavior on the part of a caregiver can really mess up a kid, even one as well-adjusted as Chihiro.

The one I wouldn't upset is Keiichiro, considering his belief in keeping dirt on other people on hand. I don't think he'd use it lightly though
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Man, you guys must've come from perfect households with perfect parents. Most parents I know would have been yelling at their kid for throwing out their treasured possessions and telling them never to touch their stuff again.

Parents and caregivers are people too, and he didn't dismiss Chihiro, he was just really depressed about the mementos lost. As soon as Chihiro crushed the first one, I felt awful, because it was obvious to me they were important.

I remember watching one of those shows in which people pull "nice" surprises on their loved ones by horrifying them first, and a husband arranged for a tank to drive over his wife's old but beloved car while she watched helplessly (so they could gift her with a brand new one). It infuriated me because I kept thinking if someone did that to me, I'd have trouble forgiving them for destroying something that held precious memories without consulting me first. I can't even watch the ones where they make people throw away things (I'm not talking about the buried-alive hoarders, those people need help) with little to no concern for what value they hold to the person.

So yeah, this kinda pushed my own buttons, but it didn't feel like he over-reacted, or caused any lasting trauma by displaying human emotions toward Chihiro. That's how kids learn to deal with conflicts.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
^Agreed. He wasn't being cold. He was really sad that his precious memories were being called trash and thrown out. I hate when people can't understand this sort of thing. (I'm not taking about people here, but people who expect you to throw out "trash cluttering a drawer" etc because they think if they assign no value to it no one else can either.)
yuffsters

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the anal-retentive mini-maid cleans the slovenly Madoka's inner sanctum from top to bottom

WAOW ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Too much fan-fiction...
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In its fifth episode, Shōnen Maid checks two more boxes off the “standard sitcom storyline” list.

Next week on Shonen Maid: In defiance of his uncle's explicit instructions, Chihiro throws a wild party at the estate when Madoka and Keiichiro are called away on business. It's all fun and games until Yuuji's ne'er-do-well cousin shows up uninvited with some special "party favors." Before the night is out, Chihiro will be forced to face his two most formidable opponents - peer pressure and underage drinking.

Quote:
(Does anyone not think the elderly woman Chihiro encountered on his way to school is his grandmother?)

Her affinity for cats was a dead giveaway. I have a feeling that Chiyo's backstory is very similar to Weda's from Hare+Guu. Her possibly-deceased father was probably disdainful of her pregnancy and forced her out of the family, and her timid mother regrets never stepping in on her behalf. If Chihiro's grandfather is still around, I can see him acting as an antagonist at some point. "How could you take in that woman's child after she disgraced the Takatori name?!"
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
How did you know the Episode 5 review was up? Shocked I don't see it on the reviews page or even the front page. Had to go to the 4th episode and click next from there.

Actually, it didn't occur to me that she was probably his grandmother (which I'm sure she is). I think I just don't look very deeply into this. I was merely perplexed that they seemed to imply she was important and then never returned to her by the end of the episode. Smile

I was also probably distracted by how quickly he got over his sprained ankle - whenever I got sprains (and I seemed to get a lot, for a non-athlete), I was hobbling around for week or more before it felt right again, but here he was after one day of rest, dashing down the stairs. A fall like that would make you careful on stairs for at least a few days, wouldn't ya think?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
How did you know the Episode 5 review was up? Shocked I don't see it on the reviews page or even the front page. Had to go to the 4th episode and click next from there.

I spotted it on the New Anime/Daily Streaming Reviews drop-down menu, but you're right - it's not on the main DSR page. Maybe we weren't supposed to see it yet?
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
^^Yeah I'm just getting over a sprain I got in March... I even did my RICE!

The old lady confused me too. I thought she was going to get the cat at the end. Maybe she is his grandmother. The limo leans toward the abandoned rich girl trope.

This episode was cute, nothing earth shattering. I liked how he was reading The Wolf, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Laughing
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:05 am Reply with quote
It was strange to see Madoka *relatively* subdued for nearly an entire episode, though I suppose even he’d be hard-pressed to out-wacky Ryuji. It’s a shame Funimation isn’t streaming Uchōten ☆ Nicosei, as this would definitely provide some additional insight into the titular band.

For a second there, I thought they were going to reveal that the old woman was actually Miyako’s mother or grandmother – which would have been the first time this show has genuinely surprised me.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
"Why do you wear that? You're a boy!"

And your point is? Cool
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote
The whole time this 16 year old was complaining about shorts I couldn't help thinking about poor Hiro Yuuki who, at over 30 y.o., was always put in shorts when Weiß did their concerts (not that long pants would've made it any less cringe-worthy). So yeah, kid, things could be worse. Smile

Quote:
The lesson Ryuji learns is somewhat vague.

It seemed like he had his epiphany when told to give the audience what they want to see, never mind what you want. :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4