• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Microsoft: Xbox One Will Not Restrict Used Games, Regions, Offline Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
As bad as their plan was, it was a point of difference. Now it's just the less powerful and more expensive console, in a generation where exclusives are probably going to next to irrelevant.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Get bent Microsoft. You burned any chance of me buying your system by even trying to implement this crap. The fact that you're backpedalling now is meaningless to me.
Came here to post this, but saw it already done for me... Razz

Also, excellent "Flowers of Evil" avatar, easily my favorite show of this season!
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
The. Console. Can. Be. Offline.

Where the hell is it going to send that data?

It is not a question of where, rather a question of when! Many users will have an Xbox live subscription and connect know and then, those who do not will connect regularly to surf the web and m$ might even give them a free demo now and then if they connect to the internet and last but not least, people have to connect to the net to get patches for their badly written game software. The thing has a hard disk so any data they are recollecting (using the mic and the blasted kinect, which is still mandatory) can rest there and be sent in chunks.
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
blindworm wrote:
so, they could easily do all of this in the first place in practically a push of a button...why did they ever bother to try this at all then?

funny that you mention that: whats scary and if true,about them doing it so easily,whos to say they couldnt just change it back to no used games, and yada yada

honestly i respect microsoft even less now,because they couldn't grow a damn backbone to their decision. (and thats the scary about this((refer back to my first paragraph for why again)) )

i was already against buying the console in the first place,then the whole DRM and no used games/always online thing didn't help either.now them going back on it just nails the head on the coffin on me ever purchasing it. i cant trust a company that is so fickle.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Sony was pretty clever with all this. Now everyone is convinced that they're the superior console when in actuality they're putting on a ton of restrictions compared to their previous console. Attaboy Sony!
Correl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why we had to lose the digital library and sharing stuff. Just force those to check in every 24 hours and let the disc based games always be available. Seems like they threw the baby out with the bath water.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I've always been a PlayStation person anyways so, hearing everything about the Xbox and everything going on around it didn't really affect me too much...
Hell, I found it amusing because I seriously could not believe all the stuff I was hearing. It all sounded just so freaking ridiculous.
It boggled my mind how they thought this was actually an improvement much less that they were even trying to do it.

And while I know I'd have gotten a PS4 in the end anyways, it still made me a little peeved the way MS was doing business and overall how they were actually trying to go about these things.

I think I remember someone saying that someone said their answer to the whole 'internet thing' at least was that "-they have another product, and it's the 360..'- like really? That's you answer?
It was also funny to see everyone state they were going with the PS4 now, and how that was their answer to 'the other product'...
But really, while this might be an improvement, I still think it's pretty bad...
That whole Kinect thing is what really turns me off, but that's just me. It sounds cool but... it's just too intrusive for my liking. All power to ya if that's what you want.

Still though, just you watch and see, MS will sell a crap ton of Xbox Ones once it comes out, and no one will remember (save MS obviously now) or even care once it's all said and done.
Really, I can't wait to see what the sells are when it does compared to the other platform.
Gotta admit though, it is pretty funny just how quick they walked it all back.
Whether it be because of sells, or they actually listened to consumers (which isn't at all bad really...) atleast Xbox fans will be somewhat happier.

- On a side note, does anyone know about this whole 'Being banned and losing all games thing and not being able to get them back'? Is that a real thing..?
Did they take that back too or was that ever even seriously considered to begin with?
I'm not trying to find more things about MS that I simply don't care too much for, I seriously wanna know Confused . And is it just the Xbox or other consoles too?
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Sony was pretty clever with all this. Now everyone is convinced that they're the superior console when in actuality they're putting on a ton of restrictions compared to their previous console. Attaboy Sony!
they are not quite as draconian as what the xbox one was doing.

and anyways,micr$oft shouldn't have made it so easy for them to be made fun of

did they even read their speech notes aloud when they were getting ready for the press event?
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Correl wrote:
I don't understand why we had to lose the digital library and sharing stuff. Just force those to check in every 24 hours and let the disc based games always be available. Seems like they threw the baby out with the bath water.

Yeah, they seem to have something against choice. We either have things entirely one way or entirely the other. Several of Xbox One's features, specifically the family sharing thing, would have been amazing and I hope they can still implement it at some point. But those features didn't outweigh the restrictions they came with, so I don't mind losing it much.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm a longtime Playstation user, having owned two versions of the PS2 as well as a PS3. With that in mind I was - realistically-speaking - never going to buy the new XBox, even before the clusterf*ck of the reveal and all the horrible stipulations and DRM crap. So Microsoft back-pedalling isn't going to help in my case.

But I really hope the XBone still sells poorly even though the restrictions have now been lifted. It will teach Microsoft a lesson not to dick around with consumers like that. But it will also serve as a warning to Sony that they had better not try anything funny in the future. I'm not so naive to think that Sony are angels, they would pull similar stunts if they thought they could get away with it. Consumers have to keep both sides honest.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Correl wrote:

Considering this was effectively a knee-jerk reaction to getting horribly dominated by Sony in pre-order sales, this is probably the best they could come up with on short notice (the longer they did nothing, the worse it would be for them).

They may indeed switch things to what you're talking about in the future. In fact, the same disconnected guys in charge when they decided on all those ridiculous features are still there, so there's a pretty good chance that they'll find a way to get what they wanted implimented in the future, just not right away.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I cant confirm this but rumor is the restrictions on the xbox are still in place on the hardware, but a software update will override them, which some pointed out still allows xbox to change face later on.

That said, I'll probably get the xbox now at some point but well after I get the PS4. Most rpg makers outside of Square Enix will always favor Sony/Nintendo.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Lol, changed their minds I see. They should have known that their 'upgrades' were a huge mistake to begin with.
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
A step in the right direction, and remarkably quickly at that, but too little too late nonetheless. Xbox One should have been a truly remarkable announcement; but Microsoft blew it, and instead the hype that should have been, there was near-universal disdain instead.

Microsoft may be reversing part of their course now (the Kinect is still mandatory and 'always on' I note), but what trust they had is now long-game to the majority of people who would have queued up for. Though this will undoubtedly help to revive some enthusiasm for the product, I only hope that customers stick to their principles and aim away from the Xbox One. Outcry can be appeased. Sales hit them where it hurts the most, and will be the decisive factor to ensure that no company - not just Microsoft, but Sony and Nintendo as well - tries to do this again in the near future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8