• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: He is my Master DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Just bought the DVDs and did a re-watch, as this is one of my favorites in this category. If you like (or don't object to) ecchi comedy, it beats most other titles, though I was surprised it got licensed at this late date. Frankly, there is a GAINAX factor in all their shows that make them if not better, then at least more watchable (well, except This Ugly Yet Beautiful World). For all the reasons given, I agree completely with Theron's review. Particularly Mitsuki, who really surprised and delighted me as a character, but overall the mix of character counter-types makes the series fairly unique. The series stays very true to itself, and even lacks a "GAINAX ending", which in this case is a real bonus Wink

Now... what is not great is the DVD video quality. I tried watching it on a PS3 hooked to a 1080p HDTV, about the best upscaling one can find. The only occasional titles that are annoying to watch are from crappy old original sources (e.g., Magical Project S).

This DVD was nearly unwatchable for me, and I went back to my fansub copy after about 10 minutes, which was starkly superior even though it's an older show. Prominent pools of artifacts and jaggies, especially in any high-motion scenes, of which there are a lot especially in the early episodes. The coloration sucks... just overall a really poor job of transcoding, which may be a result of cramming so many episodes onto two discs. If you don't have HDTV and don't have to upscale, it might be fine, but it's just unacceptable quality for a new DVD release.

Despite that complaint, I would definitely recommend this to any fans of this type of show, and I think most anyone with a neutral viewpoint on moe or ecchi comedy would consider it a good entertainment value.

Ditto-the video quality was really crappy-my R2 sourced fansubs are way better video wise-and the quality of the subtitles was worse than the fansubs were-this set went back to where I got it from. Don't usually say this-but here I'm just gonna stick with the fansubs. BTW-the ps3 is not the best upscaling dvd player out there-my Oppo DV983H is-and on it the R1 dvds looked like hell.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
BTW-the ps3 is not the best upscaling dvd player out there-my Oppo DV983H is-and on it the R1 dvds looked like hell.

Yeah, I'm not really an A/V geek, just what I had heard on the avs forums. But I always hear people bragging about their Oppo's. Will have to get me one of those someday Smile Happy to hear that it wasn't just my player though. I kept the DVDs, since I buy anything that I've watched completely on fansub. But these will just get trashed, since I could never resell them in good conscience.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I find these comments about the video quality rather curious, as I did not notice anything unusually bad about the picture quality. (Of course, while I have a TV that's HD-compatible, it's probably not top-end quality.) I will admit that the subtitles didn't impress me, but I didn't see a significant problem with them, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I find these comments about the video quality rather curious, as I did not notice anything unusually bad about the picture quality. (Of course, while I have a TV that's HD-compatible, it's probably not top-end quality.) I will admit that the subtitles didn't impress me, but I didn't see a significant problem with them, either.

The subs were fine, if my comments indicated otherwise. Just that they were almost exactly the same as the fansub. Off by literally just a few insignificant words, same sentences, in the first episode (all I could stand to watch).

And it's true, the video might have looked fine on my older panel (EDTV, 852 x 480). I just upgraded to full 1080p 50" HDTV, and upscaling is a big issue. Even so, I almost never notice problems on even much older DVDs.

My primary gripe is that not enough effort was put into encoding considering the growth of HDTV and the need for DVD to look good on the higher resolutions. My dislike of the coloration could be just personal (and is adjustable), but the pixelation and artifacts made it unwatchable.

More testing would be appreciated (someone there must have a PS3 and a large panel around?). Also, it is one of the first shows I've watched on the HDTV with the high episode count per disc, so the experience may be common. I may be in for more grief and just don't know it yet Wink.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:23 am Reply with quote
I did like the series but wonder why ADV/it's new companies waited so long to get a 2005 series.
moohoo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Just bought the DVDs and did a re-watch, as this is one of my favorites in this category. If you like (or don't object to) ecchi comedy, it beats most other titles, though I was surprised it got licensed at this late date. Frankly, there is a GAINAX factor in all their shows that make them if not better, then at least more watchable (well, except This Ugly Yet Beautiful World). For all the reasons given, I agree completely with Theron's review. Particularly Mitsuki, who really surprised and delighted me as a character, but overall the mix of character counter-types makes the series fairly unique. The series stays very true to itself, and even lacks a "GAINAX ending", which in this case is a real bonus Wink

Now... what is not great is the DVD video quality. I tried watching it on a PS3 hooked to a 1080p HDTV, about the best upscaling one can find. The only occasional titles that are annoying to watch are from crappy old original sources (e.g., Magical Project S).

This DVD was nearly unwatchable for me, and I went back to my fansub copy after about 10 minutes, which was starkly superior even though it's an older show. Prominent pools of artifacts and jaggies, especially in any high-motion scenes, of which there are a lot especially in the early episodes. The coloration sucks... just overall a really poor job of transcoding, which may be a result of cramming so many episodes onto two discs. If you don't have HDTV and don't have to upscale, it might be fine, but it's just unacceptable quality for a new DVD release.

Despite that complaint, I would definitely recommend this to any fans of this type of show, and I think most anyone with a neutral viewpoint on moe or ecchi comedy would consider it a good entertainment value.
good rev but i dont uderstand what you mean by really poor job of transcoding on my dvd player it looks good very good act n im waching on a 1080i xbox360 dvd player maybe it was your tv or player
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
This thread is old but I noticed complaints about the picture. I'll tell you now, the PS3 isn't the worst thing possible for upscaling, but it's close to it. After purchasing a solid upscaling DVD player (Yamaha DVD-S1800) there is quite a difference. I don't know the proper terms to explain the difference, but there are times when things are shaky on PS3 that come across nice and smooth on the Yamaha. Less aliasing too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2