• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Syfy's Ani-Monday Block Lists Monster Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetatronM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I was pissed off yesterday when this news hit. I still am.

Monster was already announced to be airing on a network that actually presents anime as it's supposed to be presented (i.e. in complete unedited form). Now we get Syfy instead. Neutral

Can't wait to see what 4 minutes per episode Syfy decides isn't as important as six promos each for GHOST HUNTERS INTERNATIONAL, ECW, and the SYFY ORIGINAL MOVIE PHANTOM RACER!
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I agree the episodes are short. I watch Gundam 00 and it's like 21:09 minutes long. I wish they would stop Americanizing the ending credits and do the full Japanese credits/English credits and make it like 22 mintues long. At least Viz finally aired it (remembered when Zoids Genesis was supposed to be aired on Toonami Jetstream over 1 1/2 years ago?). I have only read the first volume but seems like a decent enough series to watch.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
how exciting. cant wait to watch it Smile
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
I was pissed off yesterday when this news hit. I still am.

Monster was already announced to be airing on a network that actually presents anime as it's supposed to be presented (i.e. in complete unedited form). Now we get Syfy instead. Neutral

Can't wait to see what 4 minutes per episode Syfy decides isn't as important as six promos each for GHOST HUNTERS INTERNATIONAL, ECW, and the SYFY ORIGINAL MOVIE PHANTOM RACER!

Just why the hell does Sci-Fi keep doing that shit anyway? There oughta be a law banning this. If you're going to air anime on TV, either DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
It'll be interesting to see if they cut scenes for more commercial time, like with Gundam 00 and Gurren Lagann.

Also, I'm curious as to the quality of the dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
sysy is getting a lot of really good anime only if AS can get back on the ball and start getting new anime
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
Not to go off topic, but Sci-fi's name change just baffles me. What's "Syfy" supposed to mean anyway? Did they want to try and expand their audience and programming beyond the usual Sci-fi stuff? Maybe they had the same logic as Midway with Mortal Kombat (spelling it different is EDGIER!)

Remember, kids, poor literacy is KEWL! (courtesy Atop the Fourth Wall)

tasogarenootome wrote:
Monster? As in the Monster with Johan and Tenma and Germany and all their zany friends?!

My new favorite description of this series! Laughing

MetatronM wrote:

My hope is they'll cut the opening and ending credits or something... I mean, this is a series where just about every last scene is significant. Unless they want to go through and re-edit it so as to delete out entire storylines. I will not forgive them if they do that. Ever. No more Sci-Fi channel if they do that. Evil or Very Mad
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see the series getting the exposure it deserves.
I'm waiting on the DVD release myself, but hopefully this will lead to greater sales, which can only be a good thing in regards to Viz taking future gambles on such series.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Good news as far as I'm concerned. I'm excited to hear about this. Now all I need are the DVDs and I'll be very happy.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Okay, this day is OFFICIALLY awesome.

I thought that Monster was going on FUNimation Channel, and I can't understand how in the world Monster is science fiction in any way, but this is great news!

I don't get the FUNimation Channel, so this means I'll get to watch it!
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Yay!!! This makes me very happy! I've heard good things about this series and will definitely be checking it out.
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
MetatronM wrote:

My hope is they'll cut the opening and ending credits or something... I mean, this is a series where just about every last scene is significant. Unless they want to go through and re-edit it so as to delete out entire storylines. I will not forgive them if they do that. Ever. No more Sci-Fi channel if they do that. Evil or Very Mad

I'd be surprised if they didn't edit it. If they took the knife to Gundam 00, why wouldn't they slice and dice Monster. Is there a series Syfy hasn't edited? That question wasn't meant as sarcasm, I'm honestly asking if anyone knows.
LostPhrack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
I'd be surprised if they didn't edit it. If they took the knife to Gundam 00, why wouldn't they slice and dice Monster. Is there a series Syfy hasn't edited? That question wasn't meant as sarcasm, I'm honestly asking if anyone knows.

To the best of my knowledge.. nope. They trim everything down to fit into their format. Oddly enough, Syfy's sister channel, Chiller does show the full ending credit sequences for their Ani-Monday programming.

Anyway, I don't really mind and I'm looking forward to checking this out on TV! Yay!
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I realize that more then likely Monster will be edited for time and other things will keep it from being a perfect transmission. But still I can't help but smile. This has been a long time coming, finally Monster airing in the US. Sure it's going to be the Funimation Channel, but not many people get where as SyFy at least is available to most people with cable. I'm just excited that finally people will have a chance to see one the greatest suspense stories ever all from the comfort of their couch. Very Happy Go Monster, can't wait to get the first boxset.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy that Naoki Urasawa will get more US exposure. He is one of the best storytellers in Manga and Anime. I only hope that SyFy will actually stick with the show and air ALL 74 episodes. I think the odds of that actually happening are near nil.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4