• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Anime Content Heads to Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
SO How will one be able to tell if it is controlled by Dallas or not?

Oh, you will tell. Change in tone of translations, removal of certain series cause it goes against standards... you know, the stuff that gave Funi its toxic reputation in the first place. Just looking through the responses it looks like they will be basing things in CR hq in Cali rather than Funi in Dallas

A half-dozen questionable dub scripting choices over a decade is not a pattern, and it's never affected subtitle translations to begin with. Get that garbage anti-industry talking point out of here.

Can you name one instance of "series against standards" being removed other than the black swan known as Interspecies Reviewers? Go ahead, I'll wait... while you hopefully get that garbage anti-industry talking point out of here.
Funimation's "toxic reputation" isn't from a widespread pattern of wrongdoing; it came from anti-industry grifters and outrage merchants pushing lies and making viewers think these phenomena were far more common than they actually were.

Charou wrote:
And then there's the bigger issue of what is now essentially a monopoly. Because those always lead to improved customer service and quality of product, right?

Can't blame the companies for giving the customers what they wanted, and what they wanted was not competition. For years, people complained/whined about "having to pay for multiple subscriptions" to get all the anime they wanted. So Sony/CR/Funi took steps to put pretty much everything in one place, just as it supposedly was in the mythical golden years when CR had all anime or Netflix had all US movies and TV shows (neither of which was ever actually the case, but why let that get in the way of a good myth?), before competing streaming sites came up and viewers were "forced" to engage in the not-pricing-problem of piracy because they didn't want to pay more than the cost of one service.
Though even if CR does increase prices, it's unlikely to reach more than what Funi+CR combined was, so consumers still come out ahead.

Penrhos wrote:
I suspect some Funi content will disappear as CR will find it too niche or controversial.
More content will become geo-locked so "not available in your region" will become the bane of subscribers lives.
Sentai & Hidive could actually gain users if they can pickup the more obscure/outrageous series that CR management might be reluctant to stream due to puritanical American censorship.
Sony & CR need to get the balance right or it'll simply push more people onto the high seas of piracy where everyone looses.
In my ideal world CR would simulcast subs and dub the popular shows properly at a later date.
The best option being Dual audio with switchable subs. If the pirates can offer that, CR needs to offer that at the bare minimum.
They potentially have the library, they need consistent Subs/Dubs etc. to offer a better option than piracy...

* If it's all owned by Sony, why would something be "too niche" for CR but not for Funi? If anything, CR has a lot more of the random/obscure stuff that Funi didn't bother to license. And if you're referring to Interspecies Reviewers with "too controversial," see above.
* I'd imagine Funi is adding to CR the shows they have for the territories for which they have the rights. So regions that couldn't access them on Funi before won't be able to access them on CR now, but that doesn't change anything; it doesn't make previously-accessible content region-locked.
* The thing is, everything somehow manages to push people to piracy. Before Funi/CR merger: "everything's too split up, it's wrong to make us pay for multiple subscriptions, I'm gonna pirate." After Funi/CR merger: "It's wrong to have such a powerful monopoly with almost all of the content, I'm gonna pirate in protest!"
* Even if CR gets everything together with consistent subs/dubs, pirate sites can just rip everything and equalize the selection, so there's no way to "offer a better option than piracy."
-- I'd certainly hope that closed captions or at least turning on the standard subtitles for dubbed videos, though it's worth noting that most piracy options don't have that either -- bootleg streaming sites hardcode their subtitles, and often don't even bother to add the song/sign subtitles to dubbed videos.
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I’ve heard that some series have changed to the home video version on CR now, like DxD.
The first 3 seasons of HS DxD on CR were always the uncensored version, as they were added/sublicensed from Funimation after the broadcasts. The subtitled version of the 4th season was streamed on CR during the broadcast, and is still the TV-censored version.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:22 pm Reply with quote
AZLeafCat wrote:
Consolidating the Funimation, Wakanim, and VRV services under Crunchyroll allows Sony to focus on licensing and distributing anime across more markets around the world.

Too bad Sony never seems interested in distributing Nodame Cantabile. It even has an excellent English dub from Ocean.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:26 pm Reply with quote
All I want is for Crunchyroll to put money into their servers and make an app for smart TVs. I have one for Funi on my Samsung but Crunchy doesn't. Also my XBox app for Crunchy sometimes won't load an ep for ligit 5 minutes. I've redownloaded, signed out/signed back in, even brought it up closer to the router and it STILL might have fits.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:33 pm Reply with quote
animefan1238 wrote:
All I want is for Crunchyroll to put money into their servers and make an app for smart TVs. I have one for Funi on my Samsung but Crunchy doesn't. Also my XBox app for Crunchy sometimes won't load an ep for ligit 5 minutes. I've redownloaded, signed out/signed back in, even brought it up closer to the router and it STILL might have fits.

I can understand of updating the apps... However Even if they upgrade the Servers.... No amount of upgrades can help keep keep the servers from getting slammed by heavy traffic.. It can help support more and more traffic.. But still regardless.. there will always be times it gets overloaded because CR is to darn popular and a lot of people go there for there services.. and now with this influx of new shows coming from Funi.. Its going to get worse..

Then there is the continuation of the chip shortages.. Enough said about that.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:40 pm Reply with quote
blameitonStarBlazers wrote:
CrunchyFun all the way, baby! That was totally the name I wanted to see Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I mean, come on, who doesn’t want to have crunchy good fun watching our beloved anime?

Frankly, if they didn't go with CrunchyRoll I would have suggested renaming the whole thing Aniplex as this is a brand they can really build upon internationally
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

I can understand of updating the apps... However Even if they upgrade the Servers.... No amount of upgrades can help keep keep the servers from getting slammed by heavy traffic.. It can help support more and more traffic.. But still regardless.. there will always be times it gets overloaded because CR is to darn popular and a lot of people go there for there services.. and now with this influx of new shows coming from Funi.. Its going to get worse..

The constant buffering on weekends and evenings, especially of newer shows has been a big issue on Crunchyroll for the past 2 years. It is mainly on desktop, not necessarily on mobile since you can also download the episode first, then remove the download after watching. Crunchyroll has a more global reach meaning their servers will get overloaded fast, especially during off days with big shonen titles. I am going to miss Funimation since they pretty much never buffered due to low and limited traffic, but the site can shut down any minute now so no use for a yearly subscription. Netflix is probably going to lose a ton of its anime subscribers since a lot of their anime is sourced straight from Funimation, and a lot of anime is recently getting pulled off their site. Plus their price is like double that of Crunchyroll and they have no yearly options.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Maybe with the greater concentration of finances, they'll also expand their armada of servers a bit, too? Or rent more from AWS/Google Cloud/etc -- whatever model's common, here. Or maybe with the decrease in competition, they won't see the point and will shutdown some servers to cut costs, and the situation will get even worse. In any case, not sure it makes sense to assume the current situation will prevail. The only thing I'm really confident won't massively change soon is the front-end design of the CR site and player, since there'd be little point to this announcement if that was upended.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:39 pm Reply with quote
SpiritSmoocher wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

The constant buffering on weekends and evenings, especially of newer shows has been a big issue on Crunchyroll for the past 2 years. It is mainly on desktop, not necessarily on mobile since you can also download the episode first, then remove the download after watching. Crunchyroll has a more global reach meaning their servers will get overloaded fast, especially during off days with big shonen titles. I am going to miss Funimation since they pretty much never buffered due to low and limited traffic, but the site can shut down any minute now so no use for a yearly subscription. Netflix is probably going to lose a ton of its anime subscribers since a lot of their anime is sourced straight from Funimation, and a lot of anime is recently getting pulled off their site. Plus their price is like double that of Crunchyroll and they have no yearly options.

I would not bet Funimation streaming service would not end for at least another month to 3 months from now… at least not till all titles have finished moving over. They would most likely announce it first.
liquidblueocean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:21 am Reply with quote
There is still a distinct lack of movies on crunchy and looks like Nada came over from Funi. AnimeLab used to have the most which was great
zatheus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:07 am Reply with quote
SpiritSmoocher wrote:

The constant buffering on weekends and evenings, especially of newer shows has been a big issue on Crunchyroll for the past 2 years. It is mainly on desktop, not necessarily on mobile since you can also download the episode first, then remove the download after watching.

Mine has been the opposite, Funimation has been my problem with constant buffering on even old shows randomly through the day and night on my Roku TV. Crunchyroll was wonky when they first changed over to the new format, but it has been very steady and stable for the last six months. I just hope this leads to a stronger platform as they both have their pros and cons.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:10 am Reply with quote
zatheus wrote:

Mine has been the opposite, Funimation has been my problem with constant buffering on even old shows randomly through the day and night on my Roku TV. Crunchyroll was wonky when they first changed over to the new format, but it has been very steady and stable for the last six months. I just hope this leads to a stronger platform as they both have their pros and cons.

Crunchyroll app is clunky and slow on my Roku TV, and the Funimation app constantly has subtitle issues on the same platform. I end up having to use Icast at times to watch on my TV.

VRV works pretty flawlessly though.

That said.. it is looking like the Funimation catalog is not moving onto the CR platform, at least any of the current simulcast titles I cannot find there. When will the move and merge actually be done?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
The first 3 seasons of HS DxD on CR were always the uncensored version, as they were added/sublicensed from Funimation after the broadcasts. The subtitled version of the 4th season was streamed on CR during the broadcast, and is still the TV-censored version.

Trying to sample something that was recently added out of curiosity, and honestly it doesn't look good. Uzaki-chan is one I know that's available on FUNimation now with the home video version and English credits. It is seemingly part of the titles that recently got dumped on Crunchyroll, but the dub there does not have English credits. And digging a bit to find out what some of the animation updates for Blu-ray were, I can tell that the dub on Crunchyroll is the broadcast version and not home video.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:16 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Trying to sample something that was recently added out of curiosity, and honestly it doesn't look good. Uzaki-chan is one I know that's available on FUNimation now with the home video version and English credits. It is seemingly part of the titles the recently got dumped on Crunchyroll, but the dub there does not have English credits. And digging a bit to find out what some of the animation updates for Blu-ray were, I can tell that the dub on Crunchyroll is the broadcast version and not home video.

Same with My First Girlfriend is a Gal. It's available uncut in English and Japanese on Funimation, but the newly-added dubbed entry on CR is the broadcast version, as seen with the giant bejeweled heart added over the pantyshot at the very beginning of ep 01. So it is pretty concerning that at least for some shows, we may lose legal streaming access to the home-video versions whenever FunimationNow finally turns off the lights. And it's not just the uncensored ecchi and violent content at stake, since as you point out home-video versions often have animation corrections, additional scenes, and such.

Maybe it's a case of "we get what we pay for," i.e. having all of CR+Funi titles on one site for just CR's price comes with the "tradeoff" of not getting the home-video versions in many cases. (Highschool DxD's dubbed videos for the first 3 seasons appear to be uncensored on CR, though I haven't checked S4.) Maybe it's a ploy to induce more viewers to buy the BD releases, assuming they continue to exist. As far as I know, Japanese streaming sites don't have the home-video versions, so with Sony calling the shots, they could be trying to bring overseas streaming more in line with Japanese practices. Or maybe they were having "reverse importation" types of problems with Japanese viewers using VPNs to access Funimation to watch uncut content, rather than buying the Japanese BDs.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
(Highschool DxD's dubbed videos for the first 3 seasons appear to be uncensored on CR, though I haven't checked S4.)

I did check that yesterday, though getting to it was a little bit of a pain (for some reason, the scroll function on Crunchyroll's season selection is completely inaccessible to me: don't know if I'm clicking something wrong or what). I saw nipples and English credits, so I assume Hero (S4) dub is uncut there too.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Trying to sample something that was recently added out of curiosity, and honestly it doesn't look good. Uzaki-chan is one I know that's available on FUNimation now with the home video version and English credits. It is seemingly part of the titles the recently got dumped on Crunchyroll, but the dub there does not have English credits. And digging a bit to find out what some of the animation updates for Blu-ray were, I can tell that the dub on Crunchyroll is the broadcast version and not home video.

Same with My First Girlfriend is a Gal. It's available uncut in English and Japanese on Funimation, but the newly-added dubbed entry on CR is the broadcast version, as seen with the giant bejeweled heart added over the pantyshot at the very beginning of ep 01. So it is pretty concerning that at least for some shows, we may lose legal streaming access to the home-video versions whenever FunimationNow finally turns off the lights. And it's not just the uncensored ecchi and violent content at stake, since as you point out home-video versions often have animation corrections, additional scenes, and such.

Maybe it's a case of "we get what we pay for," i.e. having all of CR+Funi titles on one site for just CR's price comes with the "tradeoff" of not getting the home-video versions in many cases. (Highschool DxD's dubbed videos for the first 3 seasons appear to be uncensored on CR, though I haven't checked S4.) Maybe it's a ploy to induce more viewers to buy the BD releases, assuming they continue to exist. As far as I know, Japanese streaming sites don't have the home-video versions, so with Sony calling the shots, they could be trying to bring overseas streaming more in line with Japanese practices. Or maybe they were having "reverse importation" types of problems with Japanese viewers using VPNs to access Funimation to watch uncut content, rather than buying the Japanese BDs.

May have to give it a bit of time. It took a bit folding the AnimeLab library into Funimation last year, so it may be harder folding Funimation into CrunchyRoll given the size of the library

liquidblueocean wrote:
There is still a distinct lack of movies on crunchy and looks like Nada came over from Funi. AnimeLab used to have the most which was great

Could be wrong, but I think some of those were Sentai, so obviously were dropped when folding into Funimation last year
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13