• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DC Comics to Shut Down CMX Manga Imprint in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naniwhale

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm a huge CMX fan, I can't belive this is happening. I collect a ton of stufff from them. I"m a huge Swan and eroica fan. I'm collecting flowers and a dragon series, as well as name of the flower, and venus capriccio. I want to die now, there one of my fave companys. Why Cmx why...........
I hate this now because now I'm never going to know the ending of swan or some of my other fave mangas I collect. I'm already dieing because of go comi, but this I can't take this. I'm sooooooooo mad right now. I love these mangas, I'm a collector of manga I can't stand it when a series gets canceled. Please Viz or Yen pick up Swan or Eronica.... Sad
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:33 am Reply with quote
Damn, this means Orfina will never get fully released. I hope someone picks that one up, though unlikely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anne-Li

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:10 am Reply with quote
I'm so, so, so very sorry to hear about this! I need my From Eroica With Love fix! It was a bit slow towards the end, but it was something to really look forward to! To follow Klaus on his missions and Dorian on his heists and Dorian hunting Klaus - not to mention the *beautiful* art work and the fun plots. I want more! I *do* so hope that some other company will take it up again - *please*! I need my Eroica fix ...
Justy93

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote
I bought Crayon Shin Chan all over again from my Comics One oldies expecting to continue after volume 10... this is bad!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
heathersparrows

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:48 am Reply with quote
A pity about the titles - especially From Eroica With Love. But maybe some other publisher will take up where CMX left off.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:34 am Reply with quote
This doesn't surprise me.

Not the whole manga-publisher-closing thing. But DC seems to be mishandling alot of things in recent months. Hell, they cancelled numerous animated projects, simply because some Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman flick didn't put up Batman numbers right out the gate. The irony is that they eventually picked up, but not fast enough for DC.

So - yeah.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Well today at work (bookstore) I was going through our Random House catalog and they're still taking pre-orders apparently for fall CMX releases, so it doesn't seem like the volumes in the works aren't totally being halted.

Either that or... they just didn't update the publisher catalogs, and none of those books are getting printed.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping they'll sneak in Shin 12 for August myself... Crying or Very sad
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Well today at work (bookstore) I was going through our Random House catalog and they're still taking pre-orders apparently for fall CMX releases, so it doesn't seem like the volumes in the works aren't totally being halted.

Either that or... they just didn't update the publisher catalogs, and none of those books are getting printed.

DC are being lazy a-holes right now. Instead of placing an explanation and apology on their website, they just removed everything related to CMX, including the forums and every bit of news ever. Because ignoring it totally makes the problem go away!

It's as if they want their readers to hate them.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:

It's as if they want their readers to hate them.

I know I do. I was really getting into the Batman/Green Lantern series leading up to Blackest Night and collecting the trade PBs, and after they obliterated CMX from their site, my interest has taken a nosedive. It's like, why should I support them if this is how they treat their manga fans?

What's funny is that I didn't even have any CMX manga before they announced the closure because I didn't know what to buy since they didn't advertise or push anything. I now have 6 series due to all the CMX Must Have Lists that sprung up since then (3 of which are amazing, and the other 3 I haven't read yet; they're shipping right now), and would buy more if I could afford to.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I know I do. I was really getting into the Batman/Green Lantern series leading up to Blackest Night and collecting the trade PBs, and after they obliterated CMX from their site, my interest has taken a nosedive. It's like, why should I support them if this is how they treat their manga fans?

Because that is where their bread and butter come from? Seriously I'm not familiar with the manga offering of DC but in a think positive atmosphere they may just be killing the imprint CMX and not ceasing manga licensing altogether, but that's unlikely due to the language in the press release (although again they are continuing to print a few through their own label, DC)

But I'd say that this could be taken as a sign of something, but I'm sure DC is trying to grow it's properties and characters, so experimentation is being called upon so money going to licensing series is probably moving money from those ventures into new ones. Sad but also unfortunately common, but who knows a sudden and large outburst of support for their titles may get them to change their minds (buy new, it directly shows them) or at least show another publisher that the property is valuable.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Quote:

Because that is where their bread and butter come from? Seriously I'm not familiar with the manga offering of DC but in a think positive atmosphere they may just be killing the imprint CMX and not ceasing manga licensing altogether, but that's unlikely due to the language in the press release (although again they are continuing to print a few through their own label, DC)

But I'd say that this could be taken as a sign of something, but I'm sure DC is trying to grow it's properties and characters, so experimentation is being called upon so money going to licensing series is probably moving money from those ventures into new ones. Sad but also unfortunately common, but who knows a sudden and large outburst of support for their titles may get them to change their minds (buy new, it directly shows them) or at least show another publisher that the property is valuable.

Yes, I know that of course they're going to feed their regular comics line. I just do not like the way they treated CMX. If they announced the closure and whatever, that's fine; what I do not like the way the erased all mention of it on their site. They had a over a month left still, it wouldn't have hurt them to leave the information on the site until CMX officially closed. All that says to me is, "We hated CMX and their fans. Good riddance."

As a consumer, all I can do is stop buying regular DC comics for the time being and send them a letter explaining my actions. I realize I mean nothing to them, but it's better than continuing to support them if I don't want to. Who knows, maybe I'll eventually return; I do like their comics, after all. But for now, I'm taking a break.

And yes, like I mentioned, I've bought a ton of CMX manga since they announced closure, to show support for their series (and they're freaking good to boot). I've easily spent $400 on new manga from FanimeCon and TRSI, just on CMX alone in the past month.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Well it's more of like you and about 4,000 of your closest friends all buying new from them, for a good start (probably needs to be higher though). as to the titles right now on hold but again who knows that may change as well, as they are probably sorting out who stays and who goes and other "little" things first before continuing that venture (again barring a sudden resurgence of interest.) So it's a wait and see right now in question of the future titles.

Removal of the CMX link from the site probably also speaks of something, as for the fans the can probably find the titles they want without the site, although it does lend a bit a finality to it.

I mean I still like DC comics even though it's been ages since they've printed anything under the label/imprint (Elseworlds) that drew me to them in the first place, last one according to the database was 2003. So this is nothing new from a publisher, nor is it for DC. So it's meh to me.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
If it weren't for the fact I'm a Vertigo imprint addict, I'm completely boycott DC... and do so until Neil Gaiman pops up with a new comic. But alas... Vertigo.

DC is so huge I doubt they're afraid of pissing of a small number of buyers.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Well it's more of like you and about 4,000 of your closest friends all buying new from them, for a good start (probably needs to be higher though).

Haha, that'd be nice! Unfortunately, I have only one other friend who regularly buys manga. I do see a good sign though since at Fanime I bought v. 1 & 2 of Apothecarius to give it a try, liked what I read, and then went back to buy the rest, only to find someone had beat me to it and bought the rest of the series. So we are out there...

Last edited by kyokun703 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10